ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Pacino officially playing Joe in an HBO production

I'm going to break ranks and say . . . I think this movie may be more Posnanski than McCue. IIRC, Pacino said he was drawn to Joe as a tragic greek figure, a noble man who had a fatal flaw (possibly not willing to believe Sandusky was an evil person) . . .
Maybe I'm more optimistic than I should be, but I tend to agree. Joe's part in this has been beat to death. I would be more interested in this project if it challenged what I have been told to believe, rather than just regurgitate the narrative.

Maybe I'm more optimistic than I should be, but I tend to agree. Joe's part in this has been beat to death. I would be more interested in this project if it challenged what I have been told to believe, rather than just regurgitate the narrative.

knowing Pacino and his choice of roles, it seems he would be more interested in playing the fall from grace of a good man versus someone who "won at all costs" and it eventually came back to bite him in the ass

Reactions: humpydudas19

it's a shame Frank Senger passed away . . .

280full.jpg

Throw a couple of F-bombs at the actors Scott. That'll help.
The portrayal of ScottPa could be one of the more memorable aspects of the film. I don't know him personally, but he seems to be quite a character.

The sad, ironic thing is if it were not for his own incompetence, he'd be but a chubby footnote in any JVP movie.

It's of critical importance that you got the chubby reference in there. Clearly calling him incompetent was not enough.

How should Ziegler be portrayed? :eek:

Why would JZ be in this picture?

As for Scott, look back at the transcript of his call w/ JZ - all the unhinged references to "his name", "his kid's name"...2 things:

1) You're supposed to succeed in life based on your accomplishments, not your name.
2) I wonder how Jon Sandusky felt about Scott's front yard proclamations and what they did to his name.

jzre3_zps41cef304.jpg

jzre2_zpsd36bd849.jpg

jzre1_zps8c3edd99.jpg

Personally, I think this will end bad. No matter how Joe is portrayed in the movie, unless he is portrayed as a 100% saint, there will be people on here ripping the movie.

Why would JZ be in this picture?

As for Scott, look back at the transcript of his call w/ JZ - all the unhinged references to "his name", "his kid's name"...2 things:

1) You're supposed to succeed in life based on your accomplishments, not your name.
2) I wonder how Jon Sandusky felt about Scott's front yard proclamations and what they did to his name.

jzre3_zps41cef304.jpg

jzre2_zpsd36bd849.jpg

jzre1_zps8c3edd99.jpg
The list of people who succeeded in life due to their name is miles long.

Another wave of press releases making the rounds today:

Al Pacino to Star as Penn State Coach Joe Paterno in New HBO Movie From Barry Levinson
JUNE 5, 2017 | 11:00AM PT

pacino-pa.png

Al Pacino will star as former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno in a new HBO movie to be directed by Barry Levinson, Variety has learned.

The official logline for the film reads: “After becoming the winningest coach in college football history, Joe Paterno is embroiled in Penn State’s Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal, challenging his legacy and forcing him to face questions of institutional failure on behalf of the victims.”

Paterno, often referred to as JoePa, is widely regarded as the best college football coach of all time. However, his career came to a sudden halt in 2011 when assistant coach Sandusky’s crimes came to light, with a 2012 report concluding that Paterno and other Penn State officials were aware of Sandusky’s actions but chose to look the other way.

Levinson will direct and executive produce through his Levinson/Fontana banner, with Jason Sosnoff and Tom Fontana also executive producing. Edward Pressman and Linday Sloane will also executive produce, along with Rick Nicita through his RP Media Company. Debora Cahn, John C. Richards, and David McKenna will write. The film will be produced in association with Sony Pictures Television.

The currently untitled Paterno film marks Pacino’s latest in a string of HBO projects, along with the Jack Kevorkian biopic “You Don’t Know Jack,” “Phil Spector,” which followed the murder trial of the music business legend, and the mini-series “Angels in America.” Levinson directed and executive produced “You Don’t Know Jack,” as well as executive produced “Phil Spector.” The pair also collaborated on the 2014 film “The Humbling.”

Another wave of press releases making the rounds today:

Al Pacino to Star as Penn State Coach Joe Paterno in New HBO Movie From Barry Levinson
JUNE 5, 2017 | 11:00AM PT

pacino-pa.png

Al Pacino will star as former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno in a new HBO movie to be directed by Barry Levinson, Variety has learned.

The official logline for the film reads: “After becoming the winningest coach in college football history, Joe Paterno is embroiled in Penn State’s Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal, challenging his legacy and forcing him to face questions of institutional failure on behalf of the victims.”

Paterno, often referred to as JoePa, is widely regarded as the best college football coach of all time. However, his career came to a sudden halt in 2011 when assistant coach Sandusky’s crimes came to light, with a 2012 report concluding that Paterno and other Penn State officials were aware of Sandusky’s actions but chose to look the other way.

Levinson will direct and executive produce through his Levinson/Fontana banner, with Jason Sosnoff and Tom Fontana also executive producing. Edward Pressman and Linday Sloane will also executive produce, along with Rick Nicita through his RP Media Company. Debora Cahn, John C. Richards, and David McKenna will write. The film will be produced in association with Sony Pictures Television.

The currently untitled Paterno film marks Pacino’s latest in a string of HBO projects, along with the Jack Kevorkian biopic “You Don’t Know Jack,” “Phil Spector,” which followed the murder trial of the music business legend, and the mini-series “Angels in America.” Levinson directed and executive produced “You Don’t Know Jack,” as well as executive produced “Phil Spector.” The pair also collaborated on the 2014 film “The Humbling.”
I am confident this will be a thorough, well-reasoned, logical depiction of the events in question.

th

Reactions: mn78psu83
my guess is they show paterno to be a person who only cares about football and winning at all costs..knew exactly what jerry was up to and hid it. That is what HBO will do. Prepare for the worst.

Reactions: m48tank
my guess is they show paterno to be a person who only cares about football and winning at all costs..knew exactly what jerry was up to and hid it. That is what HBO will do. Prepare for the worst.
I doubt that it will be that overt............... but I am quite sure the message will be transmitted.

Dan Bernstein and George Diaz have gotten credits for the screenplay. :rolleyes:

Levinson has a solid reputation. I don't think this will be a hit piece. I'm not suggesting it will portray Joe as a saint, but I think it will fairer than most here believe. Only time will tell.
I hope you are right, but believe you will be disappointed along with the rest of us. I'm afraid I will soon have grounds to dislike Al Pacino.

knowing Pacino and his choice of roles, it seems he would be more interested in playing the fall from grace of a good man versus someone who "won at all costs" and it eventually came back to bite him in the ass

How were his portrayals of Kevorkian and Specter? Those will probably be a good blueprint for how 'the truth' is portrayed here. I didn't watch either, but they look like 'caricature' parts in sensationalist movies - not at all interested in the truth. More interested in telling what people believe to be the truth.

Also worth noting this film doesn't appear in either Pacino's or Levinson's IMDb profile...

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
How were his portrayals of Kevorkian and Specter? Those will probably be a good blueprint for how 'the truth' is portrayed here. I didn't watch either, but they look like 'caricature' parts in sensationalist movies - not at all interested in the truth. More interested in telling what people believe to be the truth.

Also worth noting this film doesn't appear in either Pacino's or Levinson's IMDb profile...
I'd be taking a look at the new Bernie Madoff movie that he's in....

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Probably just as important to understand Levinson's approach.

LINK: Portraying the Man Known as Dr. Death

"Mr. Pacino and Barry Levinson, the director of the film, said in an interview last week that they had no desire to deliver a polemic. In a time of furor over so-called death panels, which became part of the health care debate even though there was no such apparatus in the bill, the pair said the film was not intended to settle the profound moral and legal issues surrounding Dr. Kevorkian, but to create a nuanced portrait of a man who has lived in headlines and incendiary sound bites."

LINK: Gone, Gone, Gone (Woah Oh Oh)

Hard to be overly sympathetic to Spector.

As Cutler puts it, “There is nothing redeeming in our guy.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT