ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT the give and go that didnt, Big Al Meltzer has passed, sorry to hear

Big Al Meltzer was Big 5 basketball and Philadelphia sports! RIP Big Al!

Was the best of times for sure. Those games are frozen in my mind. The night the Hawks shaved their heads and took a great Providence team to the buzzer, the night Penn took the air out of the ball and beat Nova, the Lasalle Western Kentucky game, the games against Calvin Murphy, and the countless Big 5 games. Yo yo, throwing cut up hotdogs on the court when Chris Ford was introduced, the streamers, and above all the great competition amongst kids who had grown up playing against each other.

You youngins don’t know what you missed. It was magic. And Big Al was the voice we heard for it all.

Big Al, Soup Campbell, Harry, and Whitey.

Was the best of times for sure. Those games are frozen in my mind. The night the Hawks shaved their heads and took a great Providence team to the buzzer, the night Penn took the air out of the ball and beat Nova, the Lasalle Western Kentucky game, the games against Calvin Murphy, and the countless Big 5 games. Yo yo, throwing cut up hotdogs on the court when Chris Ford was introduced, the streamers, and above all the great competition amongst kids who had grown up playing against each other.

You youngins don’t know what you missed. It was magic. And Big Al was the voice we heard for it all.

Big Al, Soup Campbell, Harry, and Whitey.

I miss Harry and Whitey more with each passing game

Tell us more! Any good Wilt stories. Big Al was the last to interview him which was fitting.
By then Wilt was living in California, Remember Al speaking with him on the phone a few times.

Al was always practicing his golf swing in an empty studio.

He was not the most open with interns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT