ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Financial Impact to Big 10

You can support your local small biz. If you don't live in SC, you can try to visit and patronize a bit, at least. You can also mail order PSU gear from various businesses.

In the end, though, you can ask the university to go through with the season and not pucker up with fear. And that is why I answered the way I did..its all about personal choice. If a player doesn't want to play, no problem. If he does, play the games with every feasible precaution.

OK so now you want to ask the university to go through with a season, irrespective of what the Conference decides, right? So, assume the Big Ten cancels the season - you want PSU to go through regardless? And whom would they play?

So, since we have all agreed that this is a problem - what action does everyone think they should take to alleviate the problem?

Just talking about it on this board? Whining and bitching about the politics associated with the decisions made?

Or - head up to State College and visit and patronize the potentially impacted businesses?

Anyone and everyone talks about problems- but you have a chance to actually do something to alleviate the problem - actually take action - will you? If it's that important to you - will you take action?

Reactions: BBrown and psuro
OK so now you want to ask the university to go through with a season, irrespective of what the Conference decides, right? So, assume the Big Ten cancels the season - you want PSU to go through regardless? And whom would they play?
You are going too far now. PSU is a member and has a voice. Of course, they cannot play by themselves. Lobbying PSU is lobbying the B1G and the NCAA.

At some point, you are just a voice. But hey, don't vote in the upcoming election either, please.

You are going too far now. PSU is a member and has a voice. Of course, they cannot play by themselves. Lobbying PSU is lobbying the B1G and the NCAA.

At some point, you are just a voice. But hey, don't vote in the upcoming election either, please.
sorry, I'm going to vote:D

Reactions: Obliviax

Obli - my question was what would YOU do - as a Penn State fan/alum.

You said YOU would ask the University to play. So, it appears you have some ability to persuade University officials to have the student athletes play football. And that is great if you do, but I doubt it.

This is not about whether PSU plays football or not - the subject is how best for PSU fans/alums to address potential financial pitfalls of the State College businesses in the event there is no football.

You have a vote in an election - but you don't get to vote on whether PSU or anyone else plays football.

I'd
  • let the kids play or not play. the kids that chose to not play will be granted an additional year of eligibility and not be penalized in any other way.
  • I'd play to, at least, preserve the TV revenue for the universities
  • I'd admit a limited number...perhaps every other seat, 50k for PSU
  • I'd make masks mandatory in the stadium and in paid parking
  • I'd open up talks on where to play....makes no sense for PSU to play in a small stadium so if there is an away game for PSU at Northwestern, why not play that in a bigger venue so you can get more paid attendees?
I agree except for the 50% and the masks in the parking lot.

Wearing a mask for 30 minutes in a store is one thing, but all day when parked in a field seems extreme. Besides, I don't know how to enforce that.

53k in a stadium is still a lot of people and it will be difficult to keep them spaced out. I would go with 25%, giving priority to students. That would mean relatively few non students and less congestion in parking lots, restaurants, entrance gates, etc.

Reactions: Obliviax
I believe that with no fans, we could see an entire season of football. I fear that with fans, we might see just 2 or 3 games.

There have been less than 200 deaths involving people under age 25. That's a really small number and it's less than a normal flu season. The evidence also shows that young people rarely transmit the virus to others. That's why I support student attendance. That would probably be 15,000 students. The question is if we could safely allow 10,000 non students to attend. That seems possible to me. I think we could keep them spaced out, keep parking spaced out, manage crowds at entry gates, etc. JMO. I'm also OK if we limit attendance to students.

Not to pile on, but I know quite a few incoming freshmen (and several Sophomores and Juniors) that are now seriously considering two alternatives: attending the local branch campus as a commuter OR taking the year off. Also, almost all of the students I know who were given only on-line classes are planning to spend most of their time at home. BTW, about half of the students I know have all on-line classes with more and more being moved to on-line daily.

I wonder how this may affect the State College economy.

Ok with you if half the businesses in state college end up closing permanently?
Those same businesses had no problem in GOUGING the people who traveled to State College for games. Let them use the extra money from the gouging to stay in business.

Reactions: Art
ADVERTISEMENT