ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Here is a draft analysis of Hack written after yesterday's game

That was a brutal review. I don't agree with a lot of it.
I thought it was over the top in its negativity. Hack is better than that. Most NFL rookie QBs are at least part project at the start of their careers anyway.

I thought it was over the top in its negativity. Hack is better than that. Most NFL rookie QBs are at least part project at the start of their careers anyway.

Agree. Even though Mariotta and Winston are starting I think most would agree that they are projects that have to play.
But a lot of what that guy said is the same thing we have been saying. Touch, accuracy and awareness are issues for Hack. I thought he showed really good touch and awareness in the Illinois game but not so much yesterday. At least 2 of those sacks were on him.

Daniel Jeremiah.......looks more like this guy:

th

than like this guy:

th

Reactions: mn78psu83
Hack has really regressed over his time at PSU. Personally I think a lot of it is mental and related to his experience last year. The fact is Donavan does not really call a game that fits Hack the majority of the time. Even though there are individual plays called that are in Hack's wheelhouse, the play calling isn't consistently called to Hack's strengths and doesn't allow him to get into any kind of rhythm. I don't think Hack should return for his senior year because as long as Donovan is the OC it is not going to change. Hack is simply not getting the instruction and support that will help him move to the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: captain pipe
Hack has really distressed over his time at PSU. Personally I think a lot of it is mental and related to his experience last year. The fact is Donavan does not really call a game that fits Hack the majority of the time. Even though there are individual plays called that are in Hack's wheelhouse, the play calling isn't consistently called to Hack's strengths and doesn't allow him to get into any kind of rhythm. I don't think Hack should return for his senior year because as long as Donovan is the OC it is not going to change. Hack is simply not getting the instruction and support that will help him move to the next level.

I don't know, he threw the ball 40 times he was 1 of 10 in the first quarter.
He's a streaky QB good or bad.

Hack has really distressed over his time at PSU. Personally I think a lot of it is mental and related to his experience last year. The fact is Donavan does not really call a game that fits Hack the majority of the time. Even though there are individual plays called that are in Hack's wheelhouse, the play calling isn't consistently called to Hack's strengths and doesn't allow him to get into any kind of rhythm. I don't think Hack should return for his senior year because as long as Donovan is the OC it is not going to change. Hack is simply not getting the instruction and support that will help him move to the next level.
I must agree with you. Hack is not going to improve his skills in this program. He should opt for the draft before he gets worse or has a serious physical problem.

Agree. Even though Mariotta and Winston are starting I think most would agree that they are projects that have to play.
But a lot of what that guy said is the same thing we have been saying. Touch, accuracy and awareness are issues for Hack. I thought he showed really good touch and awareness in the Illinois game but not so much yesterday. At least 2 of those sacks were on him.
Can't say that the touch and accuracy criticism is unfair. We know it isn't. Can a young person develop better touch and accuracy though? I don't see why not and I think he'll be able to show touch and accuracy in the workouts for NFL teams. Someone will be intrigued by his measurables and workout abilities.

Taking the sacks though. That will just not fly. That is a very valid criticism of Hack's play at times, especially in light of how liberal the rules are now with respect to Intentional Grounding. The decision yesterday to force the ball into double coverage to Blacknall all the way across to the sideline on 3rd down was the type of decision that will drive any coach crazy. That had pick 6 written all over it. At that juncture in the game it was a critical mistake.

Can't say that the touch and accuracy criticism is unfair. We know it isn't. Can a young person develop better touch and accuracy though? I don't see why not and I think he'll be able to show touch and accuracy in the workouts for NFL teams. Someone will be intrigued by his measurables and workout abilities.

Taking the sacks though. That will just not fly. That is a very valid criticism of Hack's play at times, especially in light of how liberal the rules are now with respect to Intentional Grounding. The decision yesterday to force the ball into double coverage to Blacknall all the way across to the sideline on 3rd down was the type of decision that will drive any coach crazy. That had pick 6 written all over it. At that juncture in the game it was a critical mistake.

Especially since he had a guy wide open, right in front of him for the first down.
And it would have been a pic 6 if the defender had stayed on his feet.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I once heard JoePa say in an interview in regard to a quarterback's performance....."people don't understand how long it takes to learn how to play quarterback, the speed of the game and all of the things that are going on in front of you"...............

Who the hell is Daniel Jeremiah and what makes him qualified to analyze QB's? Some of these talking heads crack me up. To quote Jim Mora, they just don't know, they think they know, but they really don't know....and they never will. I'll stick with those that have actually played like Dilfer, who still have Hack in the top 5.

Eye test. He misses throws that a good high school player makes. Every game I would start with a couple short throws to Barkley just to get him some rhythm. When he gets off, confidence and rhythm seem to improve. You could see after the first couple of throws yesterday that he was going to struggle. He played much better in 2nd half which was a testament to him. Horrible feet and mechanics which for his sake can hopefully be fixed at next level. All you hear about for NFL QB's is ability to throw into tight windows and decision making. The first seemed to be a plus, the later is a real concern.

After watching him for almost 3 years now, I am convinced that A. Robinson made him look good the first year as opposed to Hack making ARob look good. Hack threw a lot of balls up in 2013 and just let ARob make plays for him. Godwin has improved a lot this year but Hack has no weapon close to ARob

Hack seems comfortable throwing the deep ball, but how many NFL teams regularly rely on that. They seem to much more run systems stressing the throws that Hack has difficulty with.

For me, maybe 4-5 round right now.

I believe Hackenberg expects to graduate in May. With one year of eligibility remaining, could/would he transfer to another school for his final year without having to sit out - like Russel Wilson did? He may be able to find a program with a better quarterback coach and offensive system to improve his draft prospects.

Eye test. He misses throws that a good high school player makes. Every game I would start with a couple short throws to Barkley just to get him some rhythm. When he gets off, confidence and rhythm seem to improve. You could see after the first couple of throws yesterday that he was going to struggle. He played much better in 2nd half which was a testament to him. Horrible feet and mechanics which for his sake can hopefully be fixed at next level. All you hear about for NFL QB's is ability to throw into tight windows and decision making. The first seemed to be a plus, the later is a real concern.

After watching him for almost 3 years now, I am convinced that A. Robinson made him look good the first year as opposed to Hack making ARob look good. Hack threw a lot of balls up in 2013 and just let ARob make plays for him. Godwin has improved a lot this year but Hack has no weapon close to ARob

Hack seems comfortable throwing the deep ball, but how many NFL teams regularly rely on that. They seem to much more run systems stressing the throws that Hack has difficulty with.

For me, maybe 4-5 round right now.
----
Trying short throws to start the game is part of the problem. We always start out with some short throws. But Hack's talent is throwing down the field. Making him start with short throws makes him struggle as he is full of adrenaline, fired up and ready to go. Trying short throws isn't natural for him.

Best let him air it out once or twice, burn some energy and settle down. Look at the 'noise game.....started out going deep and then his short game went very well. Guy needs to do what he does best an dthen he settles down.

Throwing deep early allows him to burn energy, settle down and back up the D backs. After a couple deep balls, the middle opens up as do the short outs. One of the problems with our short game is that he D backs play close to line and the short field is clogged up, the receivers aren't very open, and Hack tries to thread needles and throw hard to get the ball past defenders. Throwing deep opens that all up.

I'd tell him to look deep and throw it deep several times early in game. If no one is open, overthrow it. At least make the Dbacks respect the deep. JMO

Hack can improve his accuracy by improving his mechanics. Which are horrendous. He rarely steps towards where he is trying to throw thhe ball.

Way too often on short passes our receivers have to twist and turn to catch the ball. With no momentum going forward and no YAC. Distressing that this hasn't been corrected

----
Trying short throws to start the game is part of the problem. We always start out with some short throws. But Hack's talent is throwing down the field. Making him start with short throws makes him struggle as he is full of adrenaline, fired up and ready to go. Trying short throws isn't natural for him.

Best let him air it out once or twice, burn some energy and settle down. Look at the 'noise game.....started out going deep and then his short game went very well. Guy needs to do what he does best an dthen he settles down.

Throwing deep early allows him to burn energy, settle down and back up the D backs. After a couple deep balls, the middle opens up as do the short outs. One of the problems with our short game is that he D backs play close to line and the short field is clogged up, the receivers aren't very open, and Hack tries to thread needles and throw hard to get the ball past defenders. Throwing deep opens that all up.

I'd tell him to look deep and throw it deep several times early in game. If no one is open, overthrow it. At least make the Dbacks respect the deep. JMO

I was just saying that deep balls are low percentage passes. Missing them more often than not doesn't do much for me other than making D respect that you will use entire field. And I realize that is important too. For me, the passes I can't stand are the throws to the wideout with a blocker in front of him. He sails those passes constantly. I would much prefer a swing pass or screen to Barkley given how aggressively the D generally rushes. Easy pass and if 26 gets someone to miss, you have a chance for a big play.

But I think your one point is my greatest concern, the lack of using the field. I guess he does not have time, but those drag plays across the field look like gold and using the middle of the field seems to be a potential jackpot too. My worry is that the coaches don't trust him throwing into the middle of the field.

I was just saying that deep balls are low percentage passes. Missing them more often than not doesn't do much for me other than making D respect that you will use entire field. And I realize that is important too. For me, the passes I can't stand are the throws to the wideout with a blocker in front of him. He sails those passes constantly. I would much prefer a swing pass or screen to Barkley given how aggressively the D generally rushes. Easy pass and if 26 gets someone to miss, you have a chance for a big play.

But I think your one point is my greatest concern, the lack of using the field. I guess he does not have time, but those drag plays across the field look like gold and using the middle of the field seems to be a potential jackpot too. My worry is that the coaches don't trust him throwing into the middle of the field.
---
hard for us to know all the issues. Are the receivers slow and can't go deep? Not strong enough to mmuscle free of coverage? Lack of O-line?

You can throw deep without a ton of time if Hack would take a few steps back and throw it high and deep, giving time to run under it. And a forty yard picked pass is better than what our punters do anyway. I don't normally like to see a lot of deep throws but that is Hack's strength and the Ds have been playing us close to the line. And he seems to play better all around when he also throws deep.

I believe Hackenberg expects to graduate in May. With one year of eligibility remaining, could/would he transfer to another school for his final year without having to sit out - like Russel Wilson did? He may be able to find a program with a better quarterback coach and offensive system to improve his draft prospects.[
Who the hell is Daniel Jeremiah and what makes him qualified to analyze QB's? Some of these talking heads crack me up. To quote Jim Mora, they just don't know, they think they know, but they really don't know....and they never will. I'll stick with those that have actually played like Dilfer, who still have Hack in the top 5.
Is this really a question in your mind? Or do you just like to rake the muck?

Thought the writer ABSOLUTELY nailed it re: all four Penn Staters that he mentioned in his article.

Some of the comments re: Hack were brutal, but they were VERY UNFORTUNATELY spot-on.

It's tough because off the field he IS as fine a representative of Penn State athletics as you could ever ask for. Classy, articulate, smart, humble, great teammate.....the list goes on and on and on.

Perhaps our problem (certainly MY problem) is that he was hyped as a 5***** / #1 rated QB coming out of high school.....and I believed the hype and expected him to perform at (or near) that level. Unfortunately he's been great one game this year, good maybe 1-2 times and been outplayed by our opponents' QBs 70% of the time.

If he had come in as a 2** or 3*** and had the career he's had and know he's gonna be drafted IN ANY ROUND of the NFL Draft, we (I) would have been thrilled.

Quintus McDonald revisited. Years ago he came to PSU as THE NUMBER ONE high school player. I expected him to start for 3-4 years, be All-American for a year or two, etc. Never happened.....never even close.

---
hard for us to know all the issues.

This sums of much of what we talk about and try to rationalize. It is very hard to separate talent from coaching in the middle of a season. You get your answer if and when you see the same players in other situations, though it is further complicated by the fact that you are now dealing with college kids. Maturation, mentally and physically, is another important factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT