ADVERTISEMENT

Booing at the game

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
my brother had an interesting point when we talked after the game. He said that CJF had "lost the fans". His point was that the crowd was booing the team mercilessly in the 4th qtr. First, I'll never understand booing college kids but things have changed. Regardless, I think they were booing the staff more than the kids.

I also read that fans where viciously heckling CJF in the tunnel as he came of the field. The writer said that they've never seen a PSU fan base heckle a coach like they were CJF after the game Saturday.

I wasn't at the game. Anyone have any thoughts?

I guess that is more fodder for the thought pattern that CJF did this to scapegoat someone other than himself.

Reactions: johnmpsu
We have a loud and vocal group of CJF haters. 95% of us are decent human beings. Too many Karens everywhere and in all facets of life. We need to point out their cowardly a$$es with the University supplying the muscle to remove them from the stands.

Funny how 11-2 and ~top 10 finish is not a particularly bad place to be in college football, but 3rd place in your division and always losing to the same teams doesn't feel great.

Plus that was a really stinky offense out there Saturday. That offense had nothing interesting going on. I get the level of disappointment from people in the stadium. On the other hand booing does not help a team perform better, I think that's pretty well established.

There was someone in my section, very loudly booing and saying basically what everyone was likely thinking, aloud. As vulgar as he was, I couldn't even be mad at him. Granted, we were not near the sidelines or tunnel.. Generally, the 4th quarter had a lot of booing and I joined in as well after that terrible 2pt conversion attempt.

my brother had an interesting point when we talked after the game. He said that CJF had "lost the fans". His point was that the crowd was booing the team mercilessly in the 4th qtr. First, I'll never understand booing college kids but things have changed. Regardless, I think they were booing the staff more than the kids.

I also read that fans where viciously heckling CJF in the tunnel as he came of the field. The writer said that they've never seen a PSU fan base heckle a coach like they were CJF after the game Saturday.

I guess that is more fodder for the thought pattern that CJF did this to scapegoat someone other than himself.
I felt the fans were booing the play calls {staff} and the total lack of execution. No one I know was booing the players.

We have a loud and vocal group of CJF haters. 95% of us are decent human beings. Too many Karens everywhere and in all facets of life. We need to point out their cowardly a$$es with the University supplying the muscle to remove them from the stands.

It's funny, the PSU defense was the weak link throughout most of CJF's time -- PSU could score points but Ohio State could always score more.

Now PSU has a really terrific and fun defense but the offense is almost Dark Years kind of bad. They have no playmakers and no spark.

Keep CJF and probably one of these years both the offense and the defense will be good, but it could be a few more years of waiting. Fire CJF -- well it won't happen because hopefully the brain trust at PSU has read about what happened to Nebraska after they fired Solich. Fire a coach who has delivered consistent top 15-top 10 type seasons and you curse your program IMHO.

This idea you can't boo these players is absurd, we've crossed the Rubicon now, these aren't good little plucky kids getting a nice education and playing football for fun. Many are now being compensated real money to perform, cant have it both ways....can't say we deserve this and that, but how dare you criticize my performance. I do think the vitriol was intended for the staff mostly, and again, Franklin has no issue asking for support and big $ to drive this program forward and he is stuck in neutral. Many middle class people paying $400 on a ticket to support a team that can't get a first down on 2nd and 1 with a coach who outsources decision making to analytics companies.

Beer sales at games add fuel to the fire.

These players wanted to be semi pros. When you're a professional - you're treated differently. That said I agree fans were most likely booing this staff that has failed miserably in the only two games that mattered.
And that includes Diaz. His defenses have played well enough to win every game - no doubt but he allowed scum to basically play one dimensional football and win. When we were up 3-0 his defense gave up multiple third and longs and scum never threw the ball. Ridiculous.
The offense is a disgrace and Franklin's game day coaching is abysmal and he deserved everything he got. Those two point decisions would be embarrassing at the youth level.

This idea you can't boo these players is absurd, we've crossed the Rubicon now, these aren't good little plucky kids getting a nice education and playing football for fun. Many are now being compensated real money to perform, cant have it both ways....can't say we deserve this and that, but how dare you criticize my performance. I do think the vitriol was intended for the staff mostly, and again, Franklin has no issue asking for support and big $ to drive this program forward and he is stuck in neutral. Many middle class people paying $400 on a ticket to support a team that can't get a first down on 2nd and 1 with a coach who outsources decision making to analytics companies.
Exactly. Well said.

Grow the F up. Acting like a spoiled child that didn't get their way is sooo adult. Booing 18-22 year olds is such a classy act. By the way, your analytics comments is so stupid and so wrong.

These players wanted to be semi pros. When you're a professional - you're treated differently. That said I agree fans were most likely booing this staff that has failed miserably in the only two games that mattered.
And that includes Diaz. His defenses have played well enough to win every game - no doubt but he allowed scum to basically play one dimensional football and win. When we were up 3-0 his defense gave up multiple third and longs and scum never threw the ball. Ridiculous.
The offense is a disgrace and Franklin's game day coaching is abysmal and he deserved everything he got. Those two point decisions would be embarrassing at the youth level.
I disagree. I don't see the point. It is bad for the players, bad for the program and back for the coaching staff. Nobody is going to say 'Wow, hear that booing, we better play/coach better". It's absurd on its very face. they are doing the best they can.

Pro, to me, is different. There is a person (or group headed by a person) that owns the team and they are a for-profit organization. They really don't represent the city in any fashion. (although they pretend that they have some level of dedication but it isn't true).

Reactions: wilbury

I had an employee come in today---PSU fan but she really has no idea what is going on. First thing she said to me is, how do the fire the OC and Franklin walks away untouched. She get's it, and I will tell you she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Grow the F up. Acting like a spoiled child that didn't get their way is sooo adult. Booing 18-22 year olds is such a classy act. By the way, your analytics comments is so stupid and so wrong.
I've always respected people I know that don't lose their tempers. I always think that the brain has a conflict between emotional and logical. The smartest people I've known, the logical ones, never seem to lose their tempers. Their logic is mature enough to overcome their emotion. Emotion seems to never help, never.

I need to grow up? How about the big f*cking babies like our head coach making $10 mill a year? The fans, who sit in the stadium freezing their assess off paying $400 a ticket aren't allowed to show disapproval to 6 ft 6 bearded spoiled lineman who haven't gotten better in 10 years. Im sorry it hurts your sensitivities "coach" but these aren't "kids" anymore and this is a billion dollar enterprise. If fan booing is too much to withstand, they can f*cking play trumpet in the band at stony brook. Free educations, adoring fans, opulent traing facilities and now, actual compensation that would be the envy of 60% of this country.

Reactions: Ski and hoflane
I was at the game. There was not much booing.
Was watching on tv….there was a lot of booing. TV announcers mentioned it a couple times. What seemed to happen was after a play half the people would start booing….and then the other half would cheer as if trying to drown out the boo birds.

And it was more likely booing the play selection….which means booing the coaches. They didn’t boo when a normal play went bad. They booed stupid play calls.

Reactions: Ski
I had an employee come in today---PSU fan but she really has no idea what is going on. First thing she said to me is, how do the fire the OC and Franklin walks away untouched. She get's it, and I will tell you she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I sharply disagree.

CJF has shown pretty steady improvement if you take out the COVID year. I think the team has more talent than any I've seen since the 90s when you take into consideration all 22 positions. The offense over the years has been great under CJF. The defense has been great under CJF. We saw the Defense really improve with the right DC. Why not the offense.

I'll also add that I like the continuity at coach. Firing CJF, a guy who has really improved the program since the horror of the post Sandusky era and has been a great steward of the program. We are close. I think it would be crazy to blow it up at this point. Finally, I think we are struggling to understand how to use a pocket passer. We need to correct that, or bench Allar.

Reactions: BOSCO2

They were booing the play calling and coaches decisions. Heckling Franklin was in bad form, but fans are frustrated and they now sell alcohol in the stadium.

Reactions: Ski
Booing is not the problem, CJF is!
Total lack of performance on the offensive side is and has been the problem. The plans and those that execute that plan have been a major issue. Is that MY or CJF or both?

Reactions: psu00
I'll also add that I like the continuity at coach. Firing CJF, a guy who has really improved the program since the horror of the post Sandusky era and has been a great steward of the program. We are close. I think it would be crazy to blow it up at this point. Finally, I think we are struggling to understand how to use a pocket passer. We need to correct that, or bench Allar.
If only there werent thousands of pocket passers that have played football at a high level that the staff could pick up some ideas. Or how about not recruiting a pocket passer into an offense that doesn't work for them. The entire situation is a dumb as recruiting Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to play for the service academics.

and add to my annoyance factor with the constant up and down either getting more beer or going to the can.
Yes, the number of times we had to stand up to let people out of the isle was insane. Also missed some plays because of blocked view. In all honesty, I would rather have watched the debacle at home on TV

Reactions: psrurock and psu00
If only there werent thousands of pocket passers that have played football at a high level that the staff could pick up some ideas. Or how about not recruiting a pocket passer into an offense that doesn't work for them. The entire situation is a dumb as recruiting Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to play for the service academics.
I don't think it is that easy. You recruit kids and take the best ones you can. PSU failed to be able to build an offense around Allar. Is it him or is it the offense? CJF can't or doesn't want to fire Allar. He's made that clear.

Yes, the number of times we had to stand up to let people out of the isle was insane. Also missed some plays because of blocked view. In all honesty, I would rather have watched the debacle at home on TV
I really no longer care to go to a PSU big-time home game unless it is a white out. I'll put up with it at a white out. I am thinking about going to see Sparty since it is a Friday night game after thanksgiving. I have the down time to waste.

I also see tickets for Rutgers at $11 and Sparty for $25. Those will go down. I expect the cheap seats at Ford Field to be in the high teens by game day.

This is what happens when you have unlimited free agency, social media and NIL. If they want to get paid like professionals (And I'd argue a handful of them make more money in college than most of us will ever see in our profession), then they should be prepared to be treated like professionals, meaning getting boo'd when they do not perform. This goes for both the players and the multi-millionaire coaches. I guarantee you there are VOLUNTEER head coaches who know to kick the F...... extra point to make it a one possession game late in the 4th quarter.

To his credit, Franklin was very honest about the state of the program and specifically on the booing, said it comes with the territory at a place that has high expectations and fan engagement like Penn State.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It's funny, the PSU defense was the weak link throughout most of CJF's time -- PSU could score points but Ohio State could always score more.

Now PSU has a really terrific and fun defense but the offense is almost Dark Years kind of bad. They have no playmakers and no spark.

Keep CJF and probably one of these years both the offense and the defense will be good, but it could be a few more years of waiting. Fire CJF -- well it won't happen because hopefully the brain trust at PSU has read about what happened to Nebraska after they fired Solich. Fire a coach who has delivered consistent top 15-top 10 type seasons and you curse your program IMHO.
Nebraska first Solich and see what happened. On the other hand, Georgia fired Richt and see what happened...

Reactions: psu00

Fans spend a couple hundred $million on PSU football each year. For that amount they expect a good show.

Reactions: ram2020
I need to grow up? How about the big f*cking babies like our head coach making $10 mill a year? The fans, who sit in the stadium freezing their assess off paying $400 a ticket aren't allowed to show disapproval to 6 ft 6 bearded spoiled lineman who haven't gotten better in 10 years. Im sorry it hurts your sensitivities "coach" but these aren't "kids" anymore and this is a billion dollar enterprise. If fan booing is too much to withstand, they can f*cking play trumpet in the band at stony brook. Free educations, adoring fans, opulent traing facilities and now, actual compensation that would be the envy of 60% of this country.
So your argument is your jealous of Coach Franklin and 18 to 22 year old males?

I don't think it is that easy. You recruit kids and take the best ones you can. PSU failed to be able to build an offense around Allar. Is it him or is it the offense? CJF can't or doesn't want to fire Allar. He's made that clear.
I think it's some combination of both Allar and the staff, not just MY.

Franklin better get someone in here who can help Allar excel, and do so immediately. And the next OC better be able to modify his offense to the next QB, who likely won't be a pocket passer. Otherwise, we will be going through this all over again in a couple years.

Booing has been going on since spectators started watching sports. Boo or don’t boo. I don’t care.

I disagree. I don't see the point. It is bad for the players, bad for the program and back for the coaching staff. Nobody is going to say 'Wow, hear that booing, we better play/coach better". It's absurd on its very face. they are doing the best they can.

Pro, to me, is different. There is a person (or group headed by a person) that owns the team and they are a for-profit organization. They really don't represent the city in any fashion. (although they pretend that they have some level of dedication but it isn't true).
I think Yurcich was fired because Franklin and Kraft realize the fanbase has had enough. We are tired of losing to these two programs. Penn State should not be losing to any program year after year after year.

To his credit, Franklin was very honest about the state of the program and specifically on the booing, said it comes with the territory at a place that has high expectations and fan engagement like Penn State.

I didn’t see his presser today but other than a mini meltdown in the post game press conference about the second 2 point conversion, Franklin has handled the frustration and fallout well (at least publicly).

.With Barron and Barbour I don’t think he really had any pressure or expectations. There was no kick in the backside every time he lost to Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State. I have a feeling that’s likely changed under Kraft.

I think Yurcich was fired because Franklin and Kraft realize the fanbase has had enough. We are tired of losing to these two programs. Penn State should not be losing to any program year after year after year.
I don't think so. As long as the fans fill the seats that won't be an issue. Watch Joel Klatt's video. The defense has improved while the offense has regressed. CJF fired the guy in charge of the offense and in his media meeting today, suggested that hiring will be from the outside (nobody on the current staff is being considered)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT