ADVERTISEMENT

EURO 2020 Thread.

France is loaded, but they are in a tough bracket. Looking forward to the matches.

I’m happily surprised at the TV coverage for all 3 tournaments this summer (Euro, Copa America, and Gold Cup)...lots of platforms pushing more to streaming, but these tourneys are all on traditional TV.

Im not a big fan of the Euro expansion. 24 is too many (do we really need to see North Macedonia, Hungary, etc), and it gets watered down a bit with 2/3rds of the teams advancing (16 of 24).

Same with the Copa America format...4 group games each, just to eliminate 2 of the 10 teams. Better with a couple of guests in it, but understandable with COVID.

Gold Cup will be our B team, with a mostly domestic lineup that takes some of the excitement out of it...feel like we are destined to finish second in it.

Reactions: royboy
Something bad happening in Denmark-Finland. It looks as if one Denmark player is being given CPR. (His teammates have circled the wagon, so to speak, and you can’t see much.)

I'm sick to my stomach. I just got home from my daughter's t-ball game, looking forward to catching up on today's games. Now this. I actually feel sick.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I’m happily surprised at the TV coverage for all 3 tournaments this summer (Euro, Copa America, and Gold Cup)...lots of platforms pushing more to streaming, but these tourneys are all on traditional TV.

Im not a big fan of the Euro expansion. 24 is too many (do we really need to see North Macedonia, Hungary, etc), and it gets watered down a bit with 2/3rds of the teams advancing (16 of 24).

Same with the Copa America format...4 group games each, just to eliminate 2 of the 10 teams. Better with a couple of guests in it, but understandable with COVID.

Gold Cup will be our B team, with a mostly domestic lineup that takes some of the excitement out of it...feel like we are destined to finish second in it.
Ten years ago, I would have never predicted the Euro Cup would be on ESPN. I believe the NBC EPL contract has done wonders for soccer interest in this country.

I'm sick to my stomach. I just got home from my daughter's t-ball game, looking forward to catching up on today's games. Now this. I actually feel sick.
I’m just numb watching this...reminds me how I felt after Adam T’s injury. I expect the late game today to also get cancelled unless we get the good news that I’m really hoping for.

I'm hoping we continue to see positive news coming out. I was fearing the worst seeing him receiving CPR on the pitch. That was disturbing.

Denmark-Finland just restarted. I suppose they’ll do without the halftime break. (It’s in extra time from the first half; it looks as if they went back to the time Eriksen went down.) Edit: short break for halftime.

Last edited:
I’m just numb watching this...reminds me how I felt after Adam T’s injury. I expect the late game today to also get cancelled unless we get the good news that I’m really hoping for.
I was in the front row at the Shoe for that--it happened right in front of us.

I’m psyched!
I Love the song w Bono & Edge

My wife and I were in Belgium in 2000 and we caught the Euros first hand. It kicked off our interest in soccer. We were sitting in a cafe in the plaza in Bruge enjoying our mussels, frietes and beer, when this giant conga line of Spaniards enters the plaza. Giant foam matador hats and all. We were blown away.

Go Red Devils!
We were in Frankfurt in 2016 during the Euros--crossed the big Iron Bridge to the Sachsenhausen quater to eat, and we saw a outdoor place on the banks of the river with big TVs etc. So we ended up eating there and watching the game on a perfect summer night. The owners even gave us German scarves. Nice souvenier of our trip and a fond memory.

Current report on England/Croatia broadcast indicates Eriksen was dead on the field but resuscitated with one defibrillator.
They do not know what the cause is yet.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Current report on England/Croatia broadcast indicates Eriksen was dead on the field but resuscitated with one defibrillator.
They do not know what the cause is yet.
Yeah, you could see his body buck from the shock even with the wall of players. Scary - great work by the medical staff and all the people on the field who immediately got him help. You could see Denmark’s captain and the Finn goalie immediately spot the seriousness

Reactions: LionJim

Denmark’s team doctor on Christian Eriksen: ‘He was gone.’

NYTimes

The decision to restart the game came under heavy criticism in Denmark, including from former members of the team. The former goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel, the father of the team’s current starter Kaspar Schmeichel, called it “ridiculous” to continue the match under the circumstances.

But Hjulmand said the team had agreed to play rather than accept an option that they considered even worse: to go home, and then return on Sunday and try to complete the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT