ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is going to win the B1G west

And UCLA has its moments at times. But yeah, next year is going to be a whole different B1G. Should be fun to watch and with the new 12-team Playoffs, 2 losses could get a team in.
I think a 2-loss Big Ten team will almost be a lock honestly.

Correct--I love the fact we're destroying the teams we should destroy. Bad teams regardless of spin. SOS of 112 with Michigan at 113 who is always bashed for their schedule by the same people. But, Franklin has been here long enough that we have to start beating Michigan and Ohio State relatively regularly. Add USC, Oregon and Washington to the mix it gets that much tougher.
Maybe I am nuts but I don't think the west coast teams are as good as UM and tOSU. I look forward to next year's schedule as it always comes down to the UM and tOSU game in the B1G.

Maybe I am nuts but I don't think the west coast teams are as good as UM and tOSU. I look forward to next year's schedule as it always comes down to the UM and tOSU game in the B1G.
I agree with you but they're certainly ALOT better than the trash B1G West and others in the East like Indy and Rutgers. Maryland? They have mega offensive talent but a bonehead coaching staff.

Those West coast teams can beat the big 3 in the conference on a given day though. They have a ton of offense and some really good QBs.

After they ‘6to4-ed’ Wisconsin last night. The MVP was Iowa punter who had ten punts averaging over 50 yards per punt (many inside the 20 so could have been a longer average. The kid only has punted into the end zone once all season). Wisconsin had 8 punts averaging 43. 18 punts in the game!

Iowa has 37 yards passing!

After the game they were asking if there was ever a more Iowa game than this. I was yelling 6 to 4 at the tv.

Iowa's punter is a real weapon. 46 yds net average vs 39 for PSU. I hope PSU punting doesn't cost us a game.

I don't know who is going to beat Iowa I'm the west but it's not a lock, especially with McNamara injured. Fortunately for them they don't have to play OSU or UM.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I agree--they're not UM or Ohio State good. Just far better than the rest of the Big Ten other than us right now.
And, yes, couldn't be happier about next year's schedule

Add USC, Oregon and Washington to the mix it gets that much tougher.

Playing OSU 3 out of 5 years and Michigan 2 out of 5 should lead to less losses overall. Adding those PAC schools makes the SOS better generally, but also adds games that are at times 50/50 vs OSU being a 10/90 game over the past decade.

So, does the schedule get tougher overall? Or does the upper middle get stronger with the top end not being 78% losses on average?

Reactions: bison13
Playing OSU 3 out of 5 years and Michigan 2 out of 5 should lead to less losses overall. Adding those PAC schools makes the SOS better generally, but also adds games that are at times 50/50 vs OSU being a 10/90 game over the past decade.

So, does the schedule get tougher overall? Or does the upper middle get stronger with the top end not being 78% losses on average?
That's a fair assessment. I was more looking at it that 6 teams in the conference will be fighting for 3-4 spots in the playoffs but that's still probably better odds than the likelihood being we get 1 of 3 this year--same if 2 gets in.

Next year I think we play Ohio State, USC, Washington and Wisconsin (plus UCLA) which is much better than this year assuming Wisconsin takes a step forward.

Reactions: lazydave841
Iowa's punter is a real weapon. 46 yds net average vs 39 for PSU. I hope PSU punting doesn't cost us a game.

I don't know who is going to beat Iowa I'm the west but it's not a lock, especially with McNamara injured. Fortunately for them they don't have to play OSU or UM.
Over under on how many yards of total offence Iowa would get in a rematch?

I agree--they're not UM or Ohio State good. Just far better than the rest of the Big Ten other than us right now.
And, yes, couldn't be happier about next year's schedule
The BiG west is a disaster. Wisconsin & Iowa are usually respectable but few others. I remember teams like Purdue having bowl eligible teams because they had a good QB but we haven't seen that lately. Nebraska has been bad for a long time. Too bad PSU played them when they were good.

Reactions: LandoComando
Not many but probably more than in the first game. Iowa was especially inept that day.
Iowa's offense is inept every game but a lot of that had to do with PSU's defense. I will say this though, the Iowa DC - Parker - is one of the top 2 or 3 DCs in the country. Kirk Ferentz (and his misfit son) owe their jobs to him.

The BiG west is a disaster. Wisconsin & Iowa are usually respectable but few others. I remember teams like Purdue having bowl eligible teams because they had a good QB but we haven't seen that lately. Nebraska has been bad for a long time. Too bad PSU played them when they were good.
Didn’t Purdue win the West last year? Doesn’t mean they were good, but they played us to the last minute.

Didn’t Purdue win the West last year? Doesn’t mean they were good, but they played us to the last minute.
They did but they were awful last year. 8-6 I believe with bad losses to Syracuse for example and they almost lost to FAU I think. It was more about others being awful than them being good. Still a fluke they hung around with us.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Iowa's offense is putrid, but it just feels like they are likely to avoid having more than 1 loss in the remaining games given how great their defense is (and the level of competition) and that would mean them winning the West given the tiebreaker with Wisconsin.

Iowa's offense is putrid, but it just feels like they are likely to avoid having more than 1 loss in the remaining games given how great their defense is (and the level of competition) and that would mean them winning the West given the tiebreaker with Wisconsin.
Wisconsin's QB I'd also out for the year sp their odds are even worse now

Amazing how the West Div. sinks lower every year. Wisky's down, Minnesota's down, Purdue's way down, Ill is rebuilding, Nebraska is no better, NW is a mess etc. Iowa could win the West with no offense to speak of.

Heck, Rutgers or Maryland might be able to win the West this year.

Only Air Force and Navy have less passing yard/game than Iowa. And they still might win 11 games because of how bad the west is.

give Iowa's OC credit. they lost their starting QB and didn't miss a beat.

• Haha
Reactions: 81b&w and bison13
-8 yards on offense in the 2nd half with 4 min left

Minnesota ball at midfield with about 7 left and stupidly just ran it 3 straight times.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
The Brian Ferentz Termination Watch heats up as his offense is really falling behind the 25 pt per game average he needs to keep his job.

Guy makes 825k

Waving people away constitutes a dead ball? What kind of rule is that? Terrible….
In theory you're waiving them away because you're not fielding it and you don't want them to accidentally run into a bouncing ball like Fleming did today but, yeah, I hate the rule. I'm sure there was some play in the past that is the reason it exists now.

Waving people away constitutes a dead ball? What kind of rule is that? Terrible….
This is what I pulled off the Iowa board. It was an invalid fair catch call which is reviewable and results in a dead ball.

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.
Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above); or
  2. That is given after a scrimmage kick is caught beyond the neutral zone, strikes the ground or touches another player beyond the neutral zone (A.R. 6-5-3-III-V); or
  3. That is given after a free kick is caught, strikes the ground or touches another player. [Exception: Rule 6-4-1-f]

This is what I pulled off the Iowa board. It was an invalid fair catch call which is reviewable and results in a dead ball.

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.
Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above); or
  2. That is given after a scrimmage kick is caught beyond the neutral zone, strikes the ground or touches another player beyond the neutral zone (A.R. 6-5-3-III-V); or
  3. That is given after a free kick is caught, strikes the ground or touches another player. [Exception: Rule 6-4-1-f]
Ha. Never heard of or seen that called ever.

Here is the video. He was, probably, more demonstrative but I’ve seen players do worse. Clearly the Minny players didn’t think the ball was dead as they tried to tackle him immediately

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT