ADVERTISEMENT

EURO 2020 Thread.

Hungary-Portugal is very rough, lots of fouls, no flow at all, ugly soccer. Scoreless at 36’.
Scoreless at halftime. The match really picked up in the last ten minutes, there was a much higher level of play than what was seen earlier. Some good chances for both teams.

When I was a kid I went to Connie Mack Stadium and my dad told me to watch Willie Mays for the entire game. Same thing with Ronaldo, you see him play once and you automatically know he’s one of the greatest ever.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Final, 3-0, Portugal, with all 3 goals being scored in the last 10 minutes. The 1st goal was really lucky for Portugal, as the centering pass was a deflection that went right to the Portugal shooter, and his shot deflected off the foot of the defender right into the corner -- the GK had no chance. The 2nd goal was a PK by Ronaldo. I didn't agree with the ref's call on the PK. the 3rd goal was in stoppage time, and was scored by Ronaldo. He was right on the edge of being offsides -- tough to tell from the angles shown by TV.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Final, 3-0, Portugal, with all 3 goals being scored in the last 10 minutes. The 1st goal was really lucky for Portugal, as the centering pass was a deflection that went right to the Portugal shooter, and his shot deflected off the foot of the defender right into the corner -- the GK had no chance. The 2nd goal was a PK by Ronaldo. I didn't agree with the ref's call on the PK. the 3rd goal was in stoppage time, and was scored by Ronaldo. He was right on the edge of being offsides -- tough to tell from the angles shown by TV.
This was a must-win for Portugal, seeing that their next two matches are against France and Germany.

By the way, 16 teams move on from group play, the top two from each of the six groups plus four more.

Reactions: TheGLOV
wow, France scores at the 20 minute mark on an own goal by Germany. The defender was trying to boot a centering pass out-of-bounds for a corner, but put it in the top corner of the goal. 1-0, France. smh

Final, 1-0, France. France appeared to score 2 goals in the 2nd half, but both were waved off due to offsides. (The second by VAR.) Both calls looked to be accurate in real time as well as on replay.

Germany is really good, but they were outplayed and outclassed by France today.

Wales - Turkey has been interesting. Wales is up 1-0, and has had a number of opportunities to extend their lead. But Turkey has kept them from scoring another goal (including off a PK), and Turkey has had some opportunities to tie things up.

Reactions: LionJim
Wales scores a 2nd goal in stoppage time when it appeared they were trying to kill clock near the flag. A nice move by the Wales player, then a flurry in front of the net, results in a goal. Final whistle just after the kickoff after the goal, so it ends 2-0, Wales

Wales scores a 2nd goal in stoppage time when it appeared they were trying to kill clock near the flag. A nice move by the Wales player, then a flurry in front of the net, results in a goal. Final whistle just after the kickoff after the goal, so it ends 2-0, Wales
Very disappointing tournament to date for Turkey and a terrific win for Wales ( Land of our Fathers).

Rules question: Yellow team is pushing forward and there is a Yellow player clearly ahead of the last Red player with the ball behind him, clearly offsides. The pass forward is made and it’s touched by a Red player, with the ball ricocheting to the Yellow player ahead. Offsides?

Rules question: Yellow team is pushing forward and there is a Yellow player clearly ahead of the last Red player with the ball behind him, clearly offsides. The pass forward is made and it’s touched by a Red player, with the ball ricocheting to the Yellow player ahead. Offsides?
In your example, yes the player is offside because he gained an advantage being in an offside position. The distinction is made between a deflection/deliberately saved versus the defender deliberately playing the ball. Specifically, if the ball deflects or richochets off a defender or the goalie saves the ball, then yes the player would be offside. However, if a defender deliberately plays the ball through a poor pass, then no the player would not be offside. I used to referee professional soccer matches and NCAA division 1 soccer matches and that is the guidance typically given to referees.

Denmark 1-1 Belgium at 55’. Belgium just scored off a brilliant sequence, outstanding.

Very good teamwork, they had a second player in place to take the goal as well. As I've started watching more and more soccer, what I find most impressive are the delicate, precision touch shots & passes that are made instantly, effortlessly, and seemingly without thought. Talk about situational awareness.

Last edited:
Very good teamwork, they had a second player in place to take the goal as well. As I've started watching more and more soccer, what I find most impressive are the delicate, precision touch shots & passes that are made instantly, effortlessly, and seemingly without thought. Talk about situational awareness.
Having played at a waaay lower level, when you don't have the ball, your brain is constantly calculating the best options for passing/shooting if the ball comes your way. The way these players can do it as quickly and precisely as they do, while under extreme pressure is unbelievable. If you wait until you get the ball to think about your next move, you won't have the ball for long.

Reactions: manatree
an amazing pass, for sure. The 2nd player (the one that ball never got to) may have been offsides. It would have been close.
Good observation. I watched the second replay shot in LJs post and it looks like he is just onside - but close.
I also noticed that Lukaku had the presence of mind to get out of bounds after the pass. He wouldn't have been considered to influence the play, but still a smart move.

Watching Belgium now. Oh my god thwt 2nd goal. Lukaku’s work of keep away and dribbling, then the tick-tack passing, then De Bruyne bombing in like Carlos Alberto with a 1 touch strike

Reactions: A2Nit and LionJim
Croatia 1-1 Czech Republic, final score. An excellent game, really fine soccer throughout. Croatia was extremely aggressive and creative on offense and CR was just good enough to keep the ball out of the net. Great match!

yeah, I think we'll see some goals. England had a nice header go off the post. Then Scotland with a great shot off a centering pass (no settling or first touch) that almost got past the England GK.

Scotland's style is more enjoyable to watch. They are constantly on the attack when they have the ball. England is much more of a ball control style, which is probably more effective (especially with the talent they have), but pretty boring to watch.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT