2Calvin LachmanQuakertown12
3Rocco DellagattaSt. Joseph's Regional11
4Dean BechtoldOJR10
5Mark EffendianFCA10
6Maxwell RoySt. Joe's Prep11
7Robert EkinsDon Bosco Prep10
8Connor ReynoldsSt. Peter's Prep11

Last edited:
Faith is so tough. Bachman wins easy. Ayden smith and Kenny will be a fun one again. Kenny wins the rematch. Calling an upset, Littleton wins 121. Botero just back from injury. I am impressed by him holding 123. Where is knox? Isn’t this where he got punched last year after his match. Mut, Sement and Zeigler will be very fun. I say Mut takes this one. Baum Vs Campbell in the finals at 133. 139 is weak, Wagner from faith wins it. Pierson Vs Jack round 7. Pierson wins again. Rath Vs Gaj again! Rath wins again. Asher has arrived. He is going to be a star at psu. Waters beats Burton for the title. Harvey is a man amongst boys.

Great competition. Faith wins the team title

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ETR seeds are annually among the best of any independent tournament
Thanks, Willie. We work very hard to try to get it as right as possible.

I know a lot of old school wrestling people shrug off seeding with the "you need to beat them all anyway" attitude. But making the podium at a power tournament really means something and poor seeding can drop bombs into the consys that leave deserving kids off the stand.

Upsets are going to do that anyway, but no reason for the tournament to add to it by charting a collision course for two top guys in the bloodround or before by not paying attention to all of the results.

I ran a little youth tournament for a couple of decades, and I set up a different seeding method: the star method. If a superstar entered, we gave him a bye to the semi-finals. We put the weaker kids together in the opening rounds on the theory that they might get a win but they also might learn a little bit even if they lose, rather than being blown out in the first period by some stud looking for a notch on his belt.

i think that's fine for 'a little youth tournament'. probably a good method.

not for high profile tournaments that's literally going to affect 1) the product of the event and 2) recruiting exposure

i think that's fine for 'a little youth tournament'. probably a good method.

not for high profile tournaments that's literally going to affect 1) the product of the event and 2) recruiting exposure
Of course not. Seeding at a youth tourney is crazy anyway, with parents filling out false records, kids changing age groups and weight classes regularly. We computerized the whole thing around 1982, so we could go straight from the seeding meeting to printing the wall charts and bout sheets.

Reactions: WildTurk
I know a lot of old school wrestling people shrug off seeding with the "you need to beat them all anyway" attitude.
That's the right attitude for the wrestlers, and completely imbecilic for a tournament organizer.

On top of the reasons you noted, all of which are correct: the tournament organizer's job is to make the event compelling. Screwing up the seeds makes the finals -- the event showcase -- less compelling.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Council rock was jim volrath's high school. I would have like to see him get a shot at wrestling in the ncaa tournament. I think he would have been AA. Beat Deringer at the southern scuffle.

Council rock was jim volrath's high school. I would have like to see him get a shot at wrestling in the ncaa tournament. I think he would have been AA. Beat Deringer at the southern scuffle.
Yes, Jimmy attended CR South and participated in four Escape the Rocks. He wrestled as a FR in the inaugural tournament, which was a dual meet tourney, and then finished 4th, 3rd, and finally 1st as a SR beating Pat LaBuz of Hazelton in the finals. When he was a soph, he knocked off top seed Josh Roosa in the quarters, giving everyone a glimpse of the great wrestler he would become.

He was blocked by Dylan Alton at PSU, but still had a memorable career including the Scuffle win in the semis over Dieringer and the pin in the 7th place bout at B1Gs which gave PSU the title.

Great family, great kid, taken far, far too soon. RIP.

Yes, Jimmy attended CR South and participated in four Escape the Rocks. He wrestled as a FR in the inaugural tournament, which was a dual meet tourney, and then finished 4th, 3rd, and finally 1st as a SR beating Pat LaBuz of Hazelton in the finals. When he was a soph, he knocked off top seed Josh Roosa in the quarters, giving everyone a glimpse of the great wrestler he would become.

He was blocked by Dylan Alton at PSU, but still had a memorable career including the Scuffle win in the semis over Dieringer and the pin in the 7th place bout at B1Gs which gave PSU the title.

Great family, great kid, taken far, far too soon. RIP.

Alton was hurt that year and probably was not 100% in the tournament.

That's the right attitude for the wrestlers, and completely imbecilic for a tournament organizer.

On top of the reasons you noted, all of which are correct: the tournament organizer's job is to make the event compelling. Screwing up the seeds makes the finals -- the event showcase -- less compelling.

👍 that’s awesome work!

The reason I always went to the prelims at the PIAA states was the awkward randomness of the seeding. One of the greatest bouts I've seen at states was 15-20 years ago in the quarters between two 160 pound studs who should have been #1 and #2. The match was down in the corner of the stadium, and we went down to the first row right next to the mat and watched some amazing fireworks along with 1 or 2 other fans who showed up. Should have been the finals. I'll figure out who the wrestlers were..
And the answer is....
Jake Kemmerer vs. Jimmy Sheptock 2009 160
Others in the weight class:
Kenny Courts, James Fleming, J D Staudenmayer
not a bad weight class. Kemmerer won and Sheptock was 3rd.
Again, that bout should have been the finals even with the other studs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firemans2711

Lol you said Imbecilic lmfao. And in a sentence wtf jefe stepping up your game. Don't try that on gia the state of Iowa will sell out it's dictionaries

The reason I always went to the prelims at the PIAA states was the awkward randomness of the seeding. One of the greatest bouts I've seen at states was 15-20 years ago in the quarters between two 160 pound studs who should have been #1 and #2. The match was down in the corner of the stadium, and we went down to the first row right next to the mat and watched some amazing fireworks along with 1 or 2 other fans who showed up. Should have been the finals. I'll figure out who the wrestlers were..
And the answer is....
Jake Kemmerer vs. Jimmy Sheptock 2009 160
Others in the weight class:
Kenny Courts, James Fleming, J D Staudenmayer
not a bad weight class. Kemmerer won and Sheptock was 3rd.
Again, that bout should have been the finals even with the other studs.
I was thinking that frick vs. ed Ruth quarter won by Ruth 9-6. The winner had then had Wright in the semis. Then in the finals was Matt Ryan of cannon Mac who took second the year before.

Reactions: oldcougar65
Faith is so tough. Bachman wins easy. Ayden smith and Kenny will be a fun one again. Kenny wins the rematch. Calling an upset, Littleton wins 121. Botero just back from injury. I am impressed by him holding 123. Where is knox? Isn’t this where he got punched last year after his match. Mut, Sement and Zeigler will be very fun. I say Mut takes this one. Baum Vs Campbell in the finals at 133. 139 is weak, Wagner from faith wins it. Pierson Vs Jack round 7. Pierson wins again. Rath Vs Gaj again! Rath wins again. Asher has arrived. He is going to be a star at psu. Waters beats Burton for the title. Harvey is a man amongst boys.

Great competition. Faith wins the team title
Burton and Waters wrestled last month and if I recall correctly at no point was Burton in trouble during that match. That was a fairly Controlled match by Burton

Wow this tournament keeps getting better. Great job with the seeding and continuing to up the talent level.

Escape the Rock 2024

The only PSU recruit I found while skimming through the brackets was Asher Cunningham, who is ranked #1 at 160 pounds.

Matches:
R32: #1 A.Cunningham FALL #32 L.Youtz (1:20)
R16: #1 A.Cunningham MD #16 B.Dryden 12-4
QF: #1 A.Cunningham DEC #8 D.Sumpolec 5-0
SF: #1 A.Cunningham DEC #4 F.DiBella 3-0
Finals: #1 A.Cunningham WBF #2 C.Weidemoyer (1:13)

160# Finals: #1 A.Cunningham vs. #2 C.Weidemoyer
P1:
Cunningham TD 2-0
Cunningham locks up a cradle & gets the pin!

A.Cunningham FALL C.Weidemoyer (1:13)

Asher Cunningham takes 1st place!

Gauge Botero had an interesting start to his season. In the ETR semi's he threw a Jonesy for 5 points. In the finals he threw another Jonesy for 5 points.
I might be wrong, but it looked to me that he attempted a win-dixie later in the finals. And it appeared his opponent saw it and bailed.
Botero won the finals 11-4 over Dillard of BECA.

Botero just coming back and putting it on Dillard is a beautiful win. He is going to be tough to beat at 120. Seidel will drop. So it will be a collision course Botero Vs Gill.

The first Jonesy I ever saw was back in like '01, in the state AAA semi-finals. West Chester Henderson's Jermaine Jones threw it against Sportelli of Easton. No one could believe it. Sportelli was in on Jones' leg, and suddenly the ref was counting back points against him.
Jones was a little animal. He was a 2x state champ. One year he hammered Mark McKnight in the finals, 12-3. Unfortunately he caught mono his Senior year and never was the same again. I saw him tech a kid in December that year who took him to OT at Regions. He was a shadow of himself.

Gill wont touch Botero
Yeah, it'll be a collision ...

A5ht.gif

I am trying to play up the two state champs meeting. I think y’all are right. Botero is a different level. Do y’all think Seidel does drop.

The first Jonesy I ever saw was back in like '01, in the state AAA semi-finals. West Chester Henderson's Jermaine Jones threw it against Sportelli of Easton. No one could believe it. Sportelli was in on Jones' leg, and suddenly the ref was counting back points against him.
Jones was a little animal. He was a 2x state champ. One year he hammered Mark McKnight in the finals, 12-3. Unfortunately he caught mono his Senior year and never was the same again. I saw him tech a kid in December that year who took him to OT at Regions. He was a shadow of himself.
That’s why it’s called a Jonesy. Jordan Oliver did it in college, and in an interview after he called it a Jonsey because he saw Jermaine Jones hit it at states when he was a kid and he wanted to learn how to do it.

That’s why it’s called a Jonesy. Jordan Oliver did it in college, and in an interview after he called it a Jonsey because he saw Jermaine Jones hit it at states when he was a kid and he wanted to learn how to do it.
It's a familiar story. And that's why I referred back to Jermaine's signature move, specifying he beat an Easton kid.

It happened like this:
As a 9th grader, Jones had a decent season but nothing overwhelming. He was pretty good. The next year, WC Henderson changed coaches. They brought in Downingtown state champ Glenn Koser as coach. I watched Henderson wrestle my old team in December. Jones wrestled one of my former wrestlers, who was frankly pretty weak. He never achieved anything with my team and went on to a 50-50 career. And Jones had trouble with him, winning 4-2 finally. At that point, I was done with Jones.
Three months later, Jones was a superstar. I'm convinced that Glen Koser transformed Jermaine Jones, who made the biggest single year improvement of anyone I've ever watched. In December he barely edged one of my weakest kids. In March he won states with ease.
Thursday night at states that year, I watched the prelims. Afterwards I called a friend who hadn't made it up yet. We always bet on Thursday night on the projected finalists --- rarely right I might add.
But I called my friend and said, "It looks like Jones is planning to win this thing!"
And he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT