ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

The claim was not whether or not we have been in the tourney, but rather that we were a top-50 team according to the metrics. Which, yes, we have been top-50 according to the metrics. Let's not move the goalposts;
I didn’t make any claim about not being in the top 50...I stated that being a “top 50” doesn’t get us into the tournament. I was also curious as to why we seem to be the only top 50 team that consistently gets left out. Bottom line for this year, look at all the metrics you want, 11-15 isn’t good. Reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like we’re the second coming of Kansas basketball these last few years.

The players don't like the administration and how they have handled this. Hardly short-sighted. Turnover with a new coach is nothing new
I get their frustration with Sandy and Co, I just hope that the guys don't leave because of her - a person with whom they have little interaction.

Reactions: The Shelter
The players don't like the administration and how they have handled this. Hardly short-sighted. Turnover with a new coach is nothing new

The difference is that now with the portal, if a player is exploring their options, everyone knows it. Before, their explorations were were only rumors.

Reactions: psuguy43
Sounds like Lundy may stay and will have discussions with Shrewsbury not sure about the others but I hope at least Jones does

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I get their frustration with Sandy and Co, I just hope that the guys don't leave because of her - a person with whom they have little interaction.
Yep, seems strange since they almost never see her or talk to her. The same with other AD admin types. Probably more like a lack of support. Just pure conjecture but methinks that Chambers constantly fought for more support for the program and didn’t get it. And his temper eventually caused personal problems with Sandy. So the guys are leaving because of that lack of support.
Maybe the new coach can convince them they will get better support now.

Well, she has and continues to interject herself in their lives in a major way.

Reactions: bison13
If the boss who hired and mentored you was asked to resign by a corporate VP, wouldn’t it sour you on the entire organization?

Reactions: KanePoster
Remember when Chambers took over and he didn't even have enough players to scrimmage? The coaches and grad students had to fill in. I hope we don't see a situation like that again because that was a disaster that required a few years to fix and significantly handicapped progress of the program.

Also, if Shrubbery is now head coach, why is he not doing his new job? I will never understand this administration's willingness to let a new hire shirk their responsibilities in favor of letting them help the competition. Didn't they learn anything from the disaster when they hired FLO?

So who will our portal targets be? Has anyone been reviewing the list?
Also any word on what assistant coaches will be joining the program? I’m guessing some are already out there recruiting for us but the assistants will need to be signed to contracts too. We’re all looking for some optimistic news after a roller coaster Monday and Tuesday.

Remember when Chambers took over and he didn't even have enough players to scrimmage? The coaches and grad students had to fill in. I hope we don't see a situation like that again because that was a disaster that required a few years to fix and significantly handicapped progress of the program.

Also, if Shrubbery is now head coach, why is he not doing his new job? I will never understand this administration's willingness to let a new hire shirk their responsibilities in favor of letting them help the competition. Didn't they learn anything from the disaster when they hired FLO?

I suspect he is currently doing 2 jobs.

He’s crazy not to talk to them. Not sure they can be talked into staying but I’d give it my best.
I should rephrase my question. Is he traveling to State College to talk to them face to face? Both in person and as a group?

I think he could make a sales pitch that this group has a good chance at the tournament next year if they can stay together. Also that staying will be much less disruptive to their education.

He should also be talking to assistant coaches in person. Those he wants to retain and those who will be replaced. Both are communicating with current players.

I saw somebody post that Shrewsbury would remain at Purdue through the tournament. If true he's not seriously trying to keep these kids.

Last edited:
I can see their POV. That being said, in the end they are not giving it to Sandy and rest of the PTB. The ones that get f d are any of the players remaining and the fans.

Reactions: bdgan
What ever happened must have been really bad. It is obvious from watching games these guys loved playing together. The bench would explode on a good play. Major celebrations when they went on a run. Lots of hugs after wins, including Ferry. And the tears as they walked off after the last game, trying to console each other.

One would think those strong bonds would keep them together. Transferring to a new team, a new school, new coach, new system.....they will not grow those same bonds. To walk away from that shows a ton of pain.

Perhaps Shrew can work that angle. I would expect that is a major part of his pitch.

Whatever is the end result, I have utmost respect for these kids to fight through one of the most difficult seasons in school history. Late coaching change, interim coach in a bubble, Covid, screwed up schedules, classroom issues, a true clusterfck. Whether they stay or move on, a hearty thanks and farewell and I wish nothing but the best for each and everyone of them.

I suspect he is currently doing 2 jobs.

He's doing the Purdue job full time, which is now the competition. Btw, that Purdue job takes almost 100% of the time right now and could for almost a month. The psu job is not his top priority, and is only when he can find a few moments in his busy schedule. Not only is he limiting his time to psu, his best working efforts are being focused on Purdue. Psu lost the entire last recruiting class of three recruits. The top six players are in the transfer portal. Oh yeah, and you still need to recruit an incoming class whose signing day starts in a mere couple of weeks. How is any of this even remotely beneficial to psu?

So who will our portal targets be? Has anyone been reviewing the list?
Also any word on what assistant coaches will be joining the program? I’m guessing some are already out there recruiting for us but the assistants will need to be signed to contracts too. We’re all looking for some optimistic news after a roller coaster Monday and Tuesday.
Well my first two picks would be Tre Mitchell at Umass, 6'9 kid, not super athletic but can score and rebound. He played at a prep in New England but is from PA. Next would be earl Timberlake from Miami. Played at Dematha HS, was originally going to Seton Hall I think then switched over to Miami. 6'6 wing who needs a jump shot but can bully other wings to the basket.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
If the boss who hired and mentored you was asked to resign by a corporate VP, wouldn’t it sour you on the entire organization?

Not necessarily. Clearly something went down with Chambers that had to be addressed. I might not like it, but I could possibly understand it. And I'd most likely want to give the new guy a chance to recruit me back to the team if he wanted me before I'd take off. But I'm old, so change is more painful for me.

Remember when Chambers took over and he didn't even have enough players to scrimmage?

I think that was Dechellis. For a while he only had two guards (Luber and Smith if my memory is working this morning).

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
He's doing the Purdue job full time, which is now the competition. Btw, that Purdue job takes almost 100% of the time right now and could for almost a month. The psu job is not his top priority, and is only when he can find a few moments in his busy schedule. Not only is he limiting his time to psu, his best working efforts are being focused on Purdue. Psu lost the entire last recruiting class of three recruits. The top six players are in the transfer portal. Oh yeah, and you still need to recruit an incoming class whose signing day starts in a mere couple of weeks. How is any of this even remotely beneficial to psu?

Then let's all root for Purdue to get bounced early. Not the same thing, but O'Brien did an okay job filling scholarships while still running the Patriots offense through the Super Bowl (an entire month).

Then let's all root for Purdue to get bounced early. Not the same thing, but O'Brien did an okay job filling scholarships while still running the Patriots offense through the Super Bowl (an entire month).

Actually FLO did a pretty horrible job at it. Schools like OSU, even with a new coach (but one on the job full time) raided the incoming class. Didn't OSU alone get like recruits, almost a quarter of the class?

Actually FLO did a pretty horrible job at it. Schools like OSU, even with a new coach (but one on the job full time) raided the incoming class. Didn't OSU alone get like recruits, almost a quarter of the class?

That mostly happened between the time Paterno was fired and O'Brien was announced. How do you blame O'Brien for that?

Oh no, we are all going to die. Short term pain for long term gain. Stop being a drama queen.

See. You got me to do what I was bitching at other people about. 🤦‍♂️

I didn’t make any claim about not being in the top 50...I stated that being a “top 50” doesn’t get us into the tournament. I was also curious as to why we seem to be the only top 50 team that consistently gets left out. Bottom line for this year, look at all the metrics you want, 11-15 isn’t good. Reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like we’re the second coming of Kansas basketball these last few years.

Don't want to be "second coming of Kansas basketball" - Self is corrupt as anything. Can't believe he's still coaching.

What ever happened must have been really bad. It is obvious from watching games these guys loved playing together. The bench would explode on a good play. Major celebrations when they went on a run. Lots of hugs after wins, including Ferry. And the tears as they walked off after the last game, trying to console each other.

One would think those strong bonds would keep them together. Transferring to a new team, a new school, new coach, new system.....they will not grow those same bonds. To walk away from that shows a ton of pain.

Perhaps Shrew can work that angle. I would expect that is a major part of his pitch.

Whatever is the end result, I have utmost respect for these kids to fight through one of the most difficult seasons in school history. Late coaching change, interim coach in a bubble, Covid, screwed up schedules, classroom issues, a true clusterfck. Whether they stay or move on, a hearty thanks and farewell and I wish nothing but the best for each and everyone of them.
Explaining the PSU hoops player exodus to Transfer Portal
by Mark Brennan
22 hours ago

It looks like new Penn State basketball coach Micah Shrewsberry will be starting with the proverbial clean slate in Happy Valley. Tuesday, one day after the top Purdue assistant was named head coach of the Nittany Lions, a parade of PSU players entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

As of this writing, there were six, according to 247Sports sources. We should note three of them were underclassmen — starting junior guards and top-two leading scorers Myreon Jones and Izaiah Brockington. UPDATE: 247Sports has now learned that sophomore forward Seth Lundy is also in the portal.

The others were veterans who had been honored on Senior Night earlier this month and are taking the NCAA up on its offer of an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19’s impact on the 2020-21 season — guard Jamari Wheeler, and forwards John Harrar and Trent Buttrick. Jones, Brockington, Wheeler and Harrar made up four-fifths of the Nittany Lions’ starting lineup last season. Buttrick was in the eight-man rotation. Lundy began the season as a starter but ended it coming off the bench.

So what led to the mass exodus? Well, if you did not have the chance to follow the soap opera that was Penn State hoops last fall, we’ll bring you up to speed with why the player departures are not only understandable, but were pretty much expected. And it goes well beyond the simple transition from one coach to another.

PENN STATE HOOPS TRANSFER PORTAL TRACKER

In other words, it has very little to do with Shrewsberry, and very much to do with the way Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour and top men’s basketball administrator Lynn Holleran handled things five months ago.

Again, we’ve touched on most of this — some as recently as when announcing Shrewsberry’s hiring — but are offering it up again to provide background for folks who were not paying close attention to the program.

There is a perception that the players are simply angry that former coach Pat Chambers was forced out of the job Oct. 21. But it goes beyond that. The Nittany Lions were already in the middle of preseason practice when the university announced that Chambers was leaving after a months-long internal investigation into “new allegations of inappropriate conduct” by the coach.

Chambers had previously been reprimanded and suspended for a game for shoving PSU guard Myles Dread during a loss at Michigan in January of 2019. Last July, a story in The Undefeated revealed that also in January of 2019, Chambers made a racially insensitive comment to then Lion guard Rasir Bolton, who had been struggling with his game, saying, “I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.” Bolton eventually transferred to Iowa State but did not reveal what Chambers had said until talking to The Undefeated a year and a half after the comment was made.

Chambers apologized for the comment. In forcing Chambers out in October, Barbour said the university launched an internal investigation into new allegations of “inappropriate conduct” shortly after The Undefeated piece ran. She cited university privacy policies for not revealing what the allegations were and gave no explanation for why the investigation took more than three months to conduct.

But here is the important part: That critical information was not only withheld from the public, but also from Chambers’ players. At PSU basketball Media Day nearly a month later, certain Lions used words like “hurt” and “confused” while describing the situation. And Dread, of all people, expressed anger.

When asked if he was “at peace” with the way Chambers was forced out, Dread said, “No, I'm not at peace with it. And I will not be at peace with it until everybody has answers (as) to why. But that is all I have on the subject.”

Before being cut off by a member of PSU’s athletics communications staff, Wheeler began to take things a step further, indicating that the players were misled by the athletic department before Chambers finally told them he was stepping down.

“We haven't got any answers,” Wheeler said. “But it was hard, because earlier that day, before he announced that, we had a meeting with a couple of people on the (athletic department) staff at Penn State asking them — because we knew something was kind of off during like the two weeks leading up to it, we just felt the vibe. So me and a couple of guys on the team just had a private meeting with a couple of staff members that's up above and we were told that everything was good…”

It was at that point that Wheeler, speaking to reporters via Zoom, was cut off. When he returned, he politely declined to continue his previous answer.

On Dec. 2, when Dread hit a last-second shot that gave Penn State a 72-69 win over VCU at the Jordan Center, Barbour approached the players as they were leaving the floor following a short celebration. They largely ignored her.

During a press conference in January, Barbour was asked if she had addressed the players’ frustrations. Her answer suggested she had not.

"Look, I understand the question,” she said. “And I understand the interest in the answer, and I respect you asking it. But I made a statement in October. I know it fell short of what you all wanted. If there's any group that I would like to provide information to, it would be our students. But we've made all the comments that we're going to make. I'm focusing on the season, and I think our students have done a really good job of that.”

Rewinding back to Media Day in November, Brockington said the Nittany Lions had a team meeting shortly after Chambers was forced out to discuss THEIR collective future.

“As a team, we decided we want to play this season out for Coach (Chambers) and for each other,” Brockington said. “And that's really the number one thing on our mind right now.”

In retrospect, it did not take much reading between the lines to realize leaving the program at the end of the season was very much on the minds of many of the players. Meanwhile, after the Lions went 11-14 under former assistant coach and interim head coach Jim Ferry, Barbour went out and quickly landed Shrewsberry.

It has rightfully been hailed as an outstanding hire, as Shrewsberry has spent the past decade-plus working under two of the best basketball minds in the world — Purdue coach Matt Painter, and Boston Celtics coach and former Butler coach Brad Stevens.

But that has not prevented the athletic departments’ lack of communication with the players when all hell was breaking loose in October (and beyond) from coming back to bite it now.

Explaining the PSU hoops player exodus to Transfer Portal
by Mark Brennan
22 hours ago

It looks like new Penn State basketball coach Micah Shrewsberry will be starting with the proverbial clean slate in Happy Valley. Tuesday, one day after the top Purdue assistant was named head coach of the Nittany Lions, a parade of PSU players entered the NCAA Transfer Portal.

As of this writing, there were six, according to 247Sports sources. We should note three of them were underclassmen — starting junior guards and top-two leading scorers Myreon Jones and Izaiah Brockington. UPDATE: 247Sports has now learned that sophomore forward Seth Lundy is also in the portal.

The others were veterans who had been honored on Senior Night earlier this month and are taking the NCAA up on its offer of an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19’s impact on the 2020-21 season — guard Jamari Wheeler, and forwards John Harrar and Trent Buttrick. Jones, Brockington, Wheeler and Harrar made up four-fifths of the Nittany Lions’ starting lineup last season. Buttrick was in the eight-man rotation. Lundy began the season as a starter but ended it coming off the bench.

So what led to the mass exodus? Well, if you did not have the chance to follow the soap opera that was Penn State hoops last fall, we’ll bring you up to speed with why the player departures are not only understandable, but were pretty much expected. And it goes well beyond the simple transition from one coach to another.

PENN STATE HOOPS TRANSFER PORTAL TRACKER

In other words, it has very little to do with Shrewsberry, and very much to do with the way Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour and top men’s basketball administrator Lynn Holleran handled things five months ago.

Again, we’ve touched on most of this — some as recently as when announcing Shrewsberry’s hiring — but are offering it up again to provide background for folks who were not paying close attention to the program.

There is a perception that the players are simply angry that former coach Pat Chambers was forced out of the job Oct. 21. But it goes beyond that. The Nittany Lions were already in the middle of preseason practice when the university announced that Chambers was leaving after a months-long internal investigation into “new allegations of inappropriate conduct” by the coach.

Chambers had previously been reprimanded and suspended for a game for shoving PSU guard Myles Dread during a loss at Michigan in January of 2019. Last July, a story in The Undefeated revealed that also in January of 2019, Chambers made a racially insensitive comment to then Lion guard Rasir Bolton, who had been struggling with his game, saying, “I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.” Bolton eventually transferred to Iowa State but did not reveal what Chambers had said until talking to The Undefeated a year and a half after the comment was made.

Chambers apologized for the comment. In forcing Chambers out in October, Barbour said the university launched an internal investigation into new allegations of “inappropriate conduct” shortly after The Undefeated piece ran. She cited university privacy policies for not revealing what the allegations were and gave no explanation for why the investigation took more than three months to conduct.

But here is the important part: That critical information was not only withheld from the public, but also from Chambers’ players. At PSU basketball Media Day nearly a month later, certain Lions used words like “hurt” and “confused” while describing the situation. And Dread, of all people, expressed anger.

When asked if he was “at peace” with the way Chambers was forced out, Dread said, “No, I'm not at peace with it. And I will not be at peace with it until everybody has answers (as) to why. But that is all I have on the subject.”

Before being cut off by a member of PSU’s athletics communications staff, Wheeler began to take things a step further, indicating that the players were misled by the athletic department before Chambers finally told them he was stepping down.

“We haven't got any answers,” Wheeler said. “But it was hard, because earlier that day, before he announced that, we had a meeting with a couple of people on the (athletic department) staff at Penn State asking them — because we knew something was kind of off during like the two weeks leading up to it, we just felt the vibe. So me and a couple of guys on the team just had a private meeting with a couple of staff members that's up above and we were told that everything was good…”

It was at that point that Wheeler, speaking to reporters via Zoom, was cut off. When he returned, he politely declined to continue his previous answer.

On Dec. 2, when Dread hit a last-second shot that gave Penn State a 72-69 win over VCU at the Jordan Center, Barbour approached the players as they were leaving the floor following a short celebration. They largely ignored her.

During a press conference in January, Barbour was asked if she had addressed the players’ frustrations. Her answer suggested she had not.

"Look, I understand the question,” she said. “And I understand the interest in the answer, and I respect you asking it. But I made a statement in October. I know it fell short of what you all wanted. If there's any group that I would like to provide information to, it would be our students. But we've made all the comments that we're going to make. I'm focusing on the season, and I think our students have done a really good job of that.”

Rewinding back to Media Day in November, Brockington said the Nittany Lions had a team meeting shortly after Chambers was forced out to discuss THEIR collective future.

“As a team, we decided we want to play this season out for Coach (Chambers) and for each other,” Brockington said. “And that's really the number one thing on our mind right now.”

In retrospect, it did not take much reading between the lines to realize leaving the program at the end of the season was very much on the minds of many of the players. Meanwhile, after the Lions went 11-14 under former assistant coach and interim head coach Jim Ferry, Barbour went out and quickly landed Shrewsberry.

It has rightfully been hailed as an outstanding hire, as Shrewsberry has spent the past decade-plus working under two of the best basketball minds in the world — Purdue coach Matt Painter, and Boston Celtics coach and former Butler coach Brad Stevens.

But that has not prevented the athletic departments’ lack of communication with the players when all hell was breaking loose in October (and beyond) from coming back to bite it now.

Gonna interesting when these guys are at different schools and can freely speak their minds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT