ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

Crappy first day at work for the new coach. Had hoped these guys would stay and give PSU some stability. Guess it could still happen. But this is not a good thing.

Reactions: bdgan
Shrewsberry did not take the news well.

Idris-Elba-Desk-Flip-GIF.gif

It happens.

Similar thing happened with Pitt when it hired Jeff Capel, who, like Shrewdsberry, came with a ton of fanfare. Pitt had eight players asking for their release before Capel was hired, but Capel got a handful of them to stay. Hopefully the same thing happens here, although I understand the players' frustration over Chambers' ouster. Here's an article about what happened at Pitt: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...tate-marquette-minnesota/stories/201804200109

Reactions: kevin310
Unless Sandy falls on her sword and comes clean with these guys, I'm thinking they are good as gone. Unless the new guy can really turn this which i doubt.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
With regard to our players' unhappiness over how Barbour/Holleran handled the Chambers exit, I get it, but welcome to the real world. You go out to lunch and return to find that your boss has been fired, you're not told the reason and you have little say in who succeeds your boss. How many times do coaches change in the NBA and the NFL?

I understand why our players are angry and maybe feel betrayed by how the Chambers exit was presented to them, but players don't get to choose their coaches. It's a free country and if they don't see the bigger picture regarding the value of a Penn State education and experience, that's their choice, God speed and good luck. For the status of the program, it's "temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement," or so we hope.

With regard to our players' unhappiness over how Barbour/Holleran handled the Chambers exit, I get it, but welcome to the real world. You go out to lunch and return to find that your boss has been fired, you're not told the reason and you have little say in who succeeds your boss. How many times do coaches change in the NBA and the NFL?

I understand why our players are angry and maybe feel betrayed by how the Chambers exit was presented to them, but players don't get to choose their coaches. It's a free country and if they don't see the bigger picture regarding the value of a Penn State education and experience, that's their choice, God speed and good luck. For the status of the program, it's "temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement," or so we hope.
Players absolutely get to choose their coach. That's what the recruiting process is.

they hate Sandy B. and how they treated Pat and also how they treated the team after Pat's firing. They despise her (and the associate AD Lynn) per most reports.
Spot on - I was told months ago that this was coming after the season.

It’s certainly not a good thing but let’s not pretend that this group was anything more than a bubble team next year. You’d certainly like some stability but it’s not like we can’t afford a rebuild. I’m sure the portal will have some talented players looking for new opportunities.

Maybe as a leader you need to work the situation, especially when you have 6 months to turn the people if you want them to stay

Shrewsberry's challenge at Penn State might prove similar to what greeted Carolyn Kieger with the Lady Lions. She inherited a roster full of Coquese recruits. All but three left after Kieger's dismal first season season and Kieger brought in 13 new players. They definitely improved in Kieger's second season but were not yet "good." However, given the youth and talent on the roster now and the uptick in recruiting, the future looks bright.

Easy folks, they are losing players from an 11-15 team that would commonly go over 7 minutes every game without a bucket.
If you're going to trash the team, you could at least get their record right.

And those other 33 minutes each game must have been incredible for us to finish in the top 10% of teams in the country in offensive efficiency.

Because the people that screwed over the basketball program are still there.

Have to agree. Shrewsberry has a very good CV and appears to be a great hire. On a positive note, I've have been reading a fair amount of articles on hoops players at other schools entering the portal. Coach should be able to pick up several players who are pretty good who want some PT.

Shrewsberry's challenge at Penn State might prove similar to what greeted Carolyn Kieger with the Lady Lions. She inherited a roster full of Coquese recruits. All but three left after Kieger's dismal first season season and Kieger brought in 13 new players. They definitely improved in Kieger's second season but were not yet "good." However, given the youth and talent on the roster now and the uptick in recruiting, the future looks bright.

Not disagreeing with you at all, it's just seems that when a program is always in the dark, the future will always look bright.

Maybe as a leader you need to work the situation, especially when you have 6 months to turn the people if you want them to stay

I could see where the AD would have little contact with the players, but I don’t think we can say with certainty that Sandy hasn’t tried to talk with them. Maybe she did and the players wanted none of it.

• Haha
Reactions: psu1969a
I said a few months ago that I expect us to look a lot like this year's Nebraska team next season or two...a mix of grad transfers, Jucos, freshmen, some transfers that sit a year, etc. Basically patchwork it together for a few seasons until Micah can get his guys in here.

To me though, it's worth it for the long-term gain of the program. Maybe had we stuck with Ferry, another guy or two stays around, but that's not what's best for the program's ceiling.

Reactions: LioninNC
I know Lynn H, like her as well. She is very matter of fact and is not going to coddle the players. That being said, she absolutely does care about the student athletes and I know her to have high integrity. I can see the players not wanting to hear what she has had to say or like it, however that is really on them and they have to make their decision (which it appears they have).

Easy folks, they are losing players from an 11-15 team that would commonly go over 7 minutes every game without a bucket.
A team that woulda made the dance had they played a normal OOC and been at .500

Yeah, really helps recruiting when five of your top players leave the team. Really helps convince top high school kids this is the place to be. Really shows transfer guys that we have a solid team to join and perhaps get to March Madness. Really shows people from players to possible assistants to fans that this is a program with great support and a bright future......

With Penn State BB, it’s Eternal Madness.

Seems like this is sour grapes over the team not keeping Ferry. In a year where 9 Big Ten teams made the tournament, including two teams with below .500 conference records, the team and interim staff had an opportunity to prove itself, and came up short. Next year will be painful, but they hired the right guy.

Reactions: Nitwit
A team that woulda made the dance had they played a normal OOC and been at .500

Yeah, really helps recruiting when five of your top players leave the team. Really helps convince top high school kids this is the place to be. Really shows transfer guys that we have a solid team to join and perhaps get to March Madness. Really shows people from players to possible assistants to fans that this is a program with great support and a bright future......

With Penn State BB, it’s Eternal Madness.
Yeah, what the hell just happened?

These are Chambers recruits...even if they stayed Locker room chemistry is gone...like any situation...new guy comes in...must make it THEIR team...the guys leaving thought one thing.." rebuilding" and they don't have the time left in their eligibility for "rebuilding...

PSU basketball will be fine...this is a very good hire for us..

Recruiting , Recruiting , Recruiting , Recruiting...

Reactions: lionbacker
I dont blame any of the guys for leaving. Especially the seniors. Free transfer available to go to a team where you will finally play in the NCAA tournament. They were hurt over chambers. They were hurt over Ferry instead of Urgo. They probably love PSU, but don't trust the athletic department. Best of luck to everyone and thank you for representing PSU as student athletes.

New coach now has a blank canvas and can build his team. It'll now take a few more years to get there.

I know Lynn H, like her as well. She is very matter of fact and is not going to coddle the players. That being said, she absolutely does care about the student athletes and I know her to have high integrity. I can see the players not wanting to hear what she has had to say or like it, however that is really on them and they have to make their decision (which it appears they have).

Ask Lynn why she despises Pat Chambers and Keith Urgo, and let us know what she says..

These are Chambers recruits...even if they stayed Locker room chemistry is gone...like any situation...new guy comes in...must make it THEIR team...the guys leaving thought one thing.." rebuilding" and they don't have the time left in their eligibility for "rebuilding...

PSU basketball will be fine...this is a very good hire for us..

Recruiting , Recruiting , Recruiting , Recruiting...

I want kids who want to be at PSU. Maybe the kids hitting the portal have a legitimate beef with Sandy, but they’re either all in or all out. If being at Penn State isn’t a priority for them, for all that Penn State offers, then Shrewsberry will find kids for whom it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT