ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

Chambers resigned. What would he have to offer up to get an NDA? I'm just trying to understand why PSU would wish to keep it quiet if they were justified, and why Chambers would not want to address the smear job PSU already leveled against him. I will reiterate this scenario was posited by another poster.
The obvious answer is that stuff happened that neither PSU nor Chambers wants to get out.

Maybe it's embarrassing to both PSU and Chambers. Maybe it's something that Chambers did that would put PSU in a bad light if it came out that one of their coaches did it. Maybe it's something that Chambers did that he doesn't want to come out, and was willing to take less $ on the way out the door to bury it (and thus it helped PSU financially).

Any of those seem a lot more likely than a situation where PSU paid Chambers more than they needed to so that Chambers wouldn't talk, and thus hurt his chances of landing his next job if he did absolutely nothing wrong, while PSU wasted $ for no reason at all.

The obvious answer is that stuff happened that neither PSU nor Chambers wants to get out.

Maybe it's embarrassing to both PSU and Chambers. Maybe it's something that Chambers did that would put PSU in a bad light if it came out that one of their coaches did it. Maybe it's something that Chambers did that he doesn't want to come out, and was willing to take less $ on the way out the door to bury it (and thus it helped PSU financially).

Any of those seem a lot more likely than a situation where PSU paid Chambers more than they needed to so that Chambers wouldn't talk, and thus hurt his chances of landing his next job if he did absolutely nothing wrong, while PSU wasted $ for no reason at all.

welcome to PSU message boards, where the least likely and most illogical scenario is automatically assumed to be 100% fact.

Um - a cash settlement to release PSU from its contractual obligations, the terms of which would not be in the university’s interest to disclose. Cause is subject to interpretation and often litigation. They wanted to avoid that so they paid him off and both parties agreed on confidentiality. That’s how settlements normally work.

So psu already smeared Chambers name, he resigned, and he took less money than he was contractually owed all for the privilege of remaining unemployable because now he can not even attempt to clear his name? Sure.

Reactions: Ski
I have read some pretty fascinating responses in this thread. Apparently head coaching positions in basketball, especially at large schools, are plentiful. Personally, I think Shrubbery is foolish for not jumping on the job right away. This nonsense that nothing is going on right now, or for 200 days is absurd. Signing period starts in a mere few weeks. On top of that, the current team and depth has expressed a desire to leave. That's suddenly both long term and short term problems, but it's no big deal to some people. If I'm him, I look at it from the perspective of his second contract. The faster he shows success, the bigger its going to be; the more, and bigger opportunities he's going to have. The first contract is done, but it took twenty plus years to get. These positions are few and far between. Hey, psu let him have the choice, but I still find it puzzling.

Now, psu's perspective is especially troubling. They don't seem to understand they are offering multiples and possibly an order of magnitude more of life altering money for a very scarce type of job, and a program that needs immediate work to avoid an even bigger setback that could tack on several more years of a rebuild. They had every opportunity to put the stipulation of the start date in even before anyone interviewed. You're not scaring anyone off from a rare potential head coaching position and massive pay increase by doing that. Apparently they seem to think everything is just fine and dandy, and recruiting requirements are really far off.
We gave Chambers 9 years...I don’t think three weeks is going to make that much of a difference years from now. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

That's something that can't be proven but I disagree. The fire was burning at PSU and they needed somebody to respond ASAP, not 3 weeks later. Maybe a key player or two could have been convinced to stay. Maybe more time to evaluate personnel and get players acclimated to the new staff/playbook. The team certainly didn't seem prepared to me. And if a few weeks don't matter, why did the team look so much better a few weeks into the season?
They weren't given the free reign to leave until 6-7 months AFTER O'Brien was hired. After PSU was put on probation, etc, etc,etc!!! O'Brien not being with the team for a few weeks in January had NOTHING to do with players being allowed to transfer 6 months later!!!!

Brad Stevens and Ainge pimping this out the way they have is more than a little thing.

I mean above and beyond level. Two of the most highly regarded names in basketball basically high fiving PSU on Twitter/Instagram.

Agree- it's hilarious after almost zero time in the spotlight ever, Penn State is getting praised unprompted by one of the best organizations in the NBA

They weren't given the free reign to leave until 6-7 months AFTER O'Brien was hired. After PSU was put on probation, etc, etc,etc!!! O'Brien not being with the team for a few weeks in January had NOTHING to do with players being allowed to transfer 6 months later!!!!
Our recruiting class started falling apart long before that.

So psu already smeared Chambers name, he resigned, and he took less money than he was contractually owed all for the privilege of remaining unemployable because now he can not even attempt to clear his name? Sure.
Whatever he did may have violated the terms of his contract, so the issue of whether he was owed a payout is not clear. Not hard to understand why a settlement and a NDA would be preferable, and why most civil suits never go to trial.

Reactions: Obliviax
Chambers resigned. What would he have to offer up to get an NDA? I'm just trying to understand why PSU would wish to keep it quiet if they were justified, and why Chambers would not want to address the smear job PSU already leveled against him. I will reiterate this scenario was posited by another poster.

Chambers resigned of his own volition? Doesn't seem that way.

Separations from employment are often described euphemistically to allow a) the parties involved to save face; and b) stem off legal action. No one seems to know details of what led Chambers to be gone and I won't be surprised if we never do.

Reactions: bdgan
Chambers resigned of his own volition? Doesn't seem that way.

Separations from employment are often described euphemistically to allow a) the parties involved to save face; and b) stem off legal action. No one seems to know details of what led Chambers to be gone and I won't be surprised if we never do.

Psu said he resigned. Chambers said he resigned. Before that psu smeared his name. Then they had a current employee start to call former players to ask biased and loaded questions about Chambers, without a Chambers rep having any input or oversight in that process. Legally, Chambers had the high ground against psu in any contract dispute at that point. It's laughable to think Chambers was paying for the nda instead of psu.

Whatever he did may have violated the terms of his contract, so the issue of whether he was owed a payout is not clear. Not hard to understand why a settlement and a NDA would be preferable, and why most civil suits never go to trial.
that's right. He could have been part of a violation of his contract but the fact that this wasn't released makes me wonder. If he did something wrong, make it public. On the other hand, the university may well have violated their contractual obligation.

Lets say he did say something about a 'Noose' and a player took offense (and I am just making this up for example's sake) The term 'noose' is not offensive in most contexts but is in others. Did he say "Lets tie a knot in the form of noose and use it to keep the garage door from falling down" or did he say it in a racial context? May well have been a miscommunication in today's world. So he could argue that using the word "noose" is not a violation of his morals clause and isn't grounds for dismissal. However, the university could have dismissed him because the optics looked do bad (PSU has done this before, as we've all seen). So you get a separation for convenience where the coach gets paid some sum, the university gets to save face, and everyone walks away with an NDA in place to keep the press from making money off of it and embarrassing everyone needlessly.

that's right. He could have been part of a violation of his contract but the fact that this wasn't released makes me wonder. If he did something wrong, make it public. On the other hand, the university may well have violated their contractual obligation.

Lets say he did say something about a 'Noose' and a player took offense (and I am just making this up for example's sake) The term 'noose' is not offensive in most contexts but is in others. Did he say "Lets tie a knot in the form of noose and use it to keep the garage door from falling down" or did he say it in a racial context? May well have been a miscommunication in today's world. So he could argue that using the word "noose" is not a violation of his morals clause and isn't grounds for dismissal. However, the university could have dismissed him because the optics looked do bad (PSU has done this before, as we've all seen). So you get a separation for convenience where the coach gets paid some sum, the university gets to save face, and everyone walks away with an NDA in place to keep the press from making money off of it and embarrassing everyone needlessly.
It seems like it's pretty well-settled by both Chambers and Bolton's family that the situation played out with Bolton hitting a bit of a wall as a freshman, and Chambers told him that he wanted to help Bolton to "loosen the noose that's around your neck." It seems like both parties understood what Chambers meant - to lessen the pressure that Bolton was feeling to produce, and that the pressure was stifling him - but the phrasing and word choice permanently damaged the relationship. Bolton's family cited that damaged relationship when he was applying for a transfer to Iowa State, the NCAA granted the hardship waiver, and that was that. Bolton played his sophomore year at Iowa State, and it was in the past. That all happened, and both sides seem to readily recognize that it happened.

Then, last summer, Bolton and his family learned that Chambers was taking part in some sort of "diversity amongst college basketball coaches" panel or summit. Bolton and the family found Chambers' participation in that event to be inappropriate given the circumstances behind Bolton's transfer, and Bolton's family disclosed the story to The Undefeated. Keep in mind, this was all going on at the same time that Pat Narduzzi got in hot water for the "thugs" comment, and a whole host of other college coaches being called out in this regard. So, in the backdrop of The Undefeated's story, Penn State starts their investigation, and three months later, Pat's out. The 2+2 says that the noose comment played a big part in his ouster, but the nature of it was that nobody really has any idea.

Reactions: Obliviax
It seems like it's pretty well-settled by both Chambers and Bolton's family that the situation played out with Bolton hitting a bit of a wall as a freshman, and Chambers told him that he wanted to help Bolton to "loosen the noose that's around your neck." It seems like both parties understood what Chambers meant - to lessen the pressure that Bolton was feeling to produce, and that the pressure was stifling him - but the phrasing and word choice permanently damaged the relationship. Bolton's family cited that damaged relationship when he was applying for a transfer to Iowa State, the NCAA granted the hardship waiver, and that was that. Bolton played his sophomore year at Iowa State, and it was in the past. That all happened, and both sides seem to readily recognize that it happened.

Then, last summer, Bolton and his family learned that Chambers was taking part in some sort of "diversity amongst college basketball coaches" panel or summit. Bolton and the family found Chambers' participation in that event to be inappropriate given the circumstances behind Bolton's transfer, and Bolton's family disclosed the story to The Undefeated. Keep in mind, this was all going on at the same time that Pat Narduzzi got in hot water for the "thugs" comment, and a whole host of other college coaches being called out in this regard. So, in the backdrop of The Undefeated's story, Penn State starts their investigation, and three months later, Pat's out. The 2+2 says that the noose comment played a big part in his ouster, but the nature of it was that nobody really has any idea.

Thanks for that background. I recalled something about noose. So, unless there were other issues, the use of the term "noose" is probably not covered in terms of dismissal by the university. But I can understand lawyers exploiting some kind of grey area. So they mutually agree to split under an NDA and some cash. Seems appropriate.

Marcus Carr from Minny is in the portal. Hope Shrewsberry is shrewd enough to go get him!
I hate that Davison kid from Wisconsi, but would love to see him tormenting the rest of the big ten wearing blue and white (oe black and pink).

I didn't even know that Narduzzi had been in hot water for a thugs comment. I know John Beilein was in Cleveland after he left for a 2 month stint in the NBA. He said playing like "thugs" but had instead meant "slugs".

Purdue is playing in a tournament for the national championship. How many months until Penn States next game? It’s not like Shrew can’t spend some time hiring coaches and talking to potential transfer recruits. The idea that being full time at Penn State right away is life or death for the future of the program is laughable. We just had our head coach resign 30 days before the season started and we performed about as expected.
Heck, it will be additional learning and experience for Shrew that will benefit him and PSU in the years ahead.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Heck, it will be additional learning and experience for Shrew that will benefit him and PSU in the years ahead.

Plus though nothing huge it will be noted during the game(s) that Painter's right hand man is now PSU's next head coach. Painter is one of the best in the country. Shrewsberry is his own person but he came up under the best in all cycles.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT