ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

I don't follow MBB very closely, but I suspect there may be 2 reasons they stuck around. 1. Timing of Chambers dismissal. This was one month before the season so there was likely little transfer portal opportunity. 2. Respect for assistant coach Ferry. He likely had nothing to do with the rift between the MBB players and AD and they might have wanted to give him their best efforts. Now that both of those factors are in the rearview, the exodus is underway. I doubt this has anything to do with Shrewsberry being hired and this is just the first reasonable opportunity for them to stick it to the AD because they clearly weren't happy with how the undisclosed Chambers situation was handled. Perhaps simply entering the portal will be a sufficient way to send a message for some players and they might return to PSU. Who knows. But I doubt there's anything Shrewsberry could have done to prevent this, it's on the AD and was set in motion months ago.
Agree with your comments but according the article on 24/7 Lundy is in the portal but hasn't ruled out a return. He wants to see who the assistant coaches are first but keep his options open. Smart kid. Others could be of the same mindset. Time will tell.

Agree with your comments but according the article on 24/7 Lundy is in the portal but hasn't ruled out a return. He wants to see who the assistant coaches are first but keep his options open. Smart kid. Others could be of the same mindset. Time will tell.

Shrewsberry would be smart to keep one assistant from the current staff; one who it is known that the players like. That could help to smooth things over here.

Like when O'Brien came in and kept Larry Johnson and Vanderlinden.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
If you read between the lines in his fluff interview with the PSU AD guy, he makes a cryptic comment about playing hard in every game, said almost in a way like he does not think that's been going on. And keeps talking about defense above all else. I think he knows what is coming. He has been on the other side of games with these players.
What fluff interview are you referring to? So you're suggesting that our/previous roster didn't play hard? Just about every commentator on the Big Ten network acknowledges PSU is one of the toughest defenses to play against. Fran McCaffery said on ESPNU radio that playing teams who are tough minded like a Penn State who didn't even make the field is great preparation for what they will face in the tourney. Respectful praise. Perhaps there is another level they could have reached but of all the arguments I would say the least impactful is saying our guys didn't hustle or play solid defense. If anything there inability to close out games was their downfall and that could be either low basketball IQ or bad coaching or a little of both. I doubt we hear much from Coach Shrew until Purdue is knocked out. Until then nothing to do but sit tight.

Reactions: vops
Not sure what to think. My gut reaction was "why are they not giving Shrewsberry a chance?".

Perhaps because... Sandy and her pork belly boss... never gave them nor their families any respect by answering questions regarding Chambers release.

Have you read any Thank You Penn State please respect my decision speeches?
...lol maybe Barbour is looking for a job as the first female head of the NCAA?

Last edited:
And would you rather have Earl Grant or Shrewsberry? Would you rather have Dennis Gates or Shrewsberry?

We made one of the best hires we possibly could have made.

I'm not saying it is the best hire in the history of basketball, but it is very good.

I have no idea. Check back in five years.

At the question being discussed was being first out of the gate, so it's not like PSU was ahead of BC.

Last year we may have been a six seed. The NIT title team was not good enough to dance....how do I know that? Because they didn’t make it. How many other consistent “top 50” teams don’t make the tournament every year? Just asking.
Perhaps you should ask for the new book Bracketology for your birthday. It might help answer your question.

Reactions: bison13
Perhaps you should ask for the new book Bracketology for your birthday. It might help answer your question.
Does it explain how we’re such a great team every year yet always get overlooked? Didn’t think so.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Shrewsberry would be smart to keep one assistant from the current staff; one who it is known that the players like. That could help to smooth things over here.

Like when O'Brien came in and kept Larry Johnson and Vanderlinden.
I was thinking it would be a huge coup if Shrewsberry could convince Ferry to stay.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Say what you want about Sandy, but on her watch we have retained Franklin, he has been able to go out and replace coordinators when necessary, we have retained Sanderson, we have made a change in women's BB when most felt it was in need of a change. And now we have made a change in men's BB which any objective person would say is an upgrade, and we hired the guy within 24 hours of the season ending and before BC, Minnesota, Indiana and a bunch of other schools could have a chance to interview him. And all three of those might have wanted to interview him. The bad coaching hires in recent PSU history mostly trace back to the same AD - and it is not Sandy or Joyner!

It's easy to retain Sanderson when you can write a check for twice what the next highest wrestling coach makes and put the program deeper in the hole. And you can do that because there is no accountability and the football program will pay for it. Then when Franklin begs for resources that his program has earned, you have to borrow with no obvious plan on how it will be repaid.

You wanna see how accountability works? Check out what's going on at Clemson.

It's easy to retain Sanderson when you can write a check for twice what the next highest wrestling coach makes and put the program deeper in the hole. And you can do that because there is no accountability and the football program will pay for it. Then when Franklin begs for resources that his program has earned, you have to borrow with no obvious plan on how it will be repaid.

You wanna see how accountability works? Check out what's going on at Clemson.

So it's easy to retain Sanderson and Franklin. But what would we be saying if she lost both of them?

I think we will find out this month.

I have never thought that our inability to attract top basketball assistants was just due to the pay, but primarily who was doing the hiring. Assistants don't make lateral moves to get rich. They make moves to become head coaches later.

Maybe. Shrews was making a half a mil and change at Purdue, which isn't exactly loose with the purse strings, probably not a whole lot less than all three assistants at PSU.

How much do you think Chambers was making?

Maybe. Shrews was making a half a mil and change at Purdue, which isn't exactly loose with the purse strings, probably not a whole lot less than all three assistants at PSU.

How much do you think Chambers was making?

Less than $1 million, if I had to guess. More than DeChellis, but not much more.

the lowest paid in the league. But why would PSU have given Chambers a big raise? We are acting like he was some kind of hero of Penn State. He did very little here other than have some good recruiting classes

So it's easy to retain Sanderson and Franklin. But what would we be saying if she lost both of them?

Football and wrestling are two entirely different cases. Football generates cash, lots of it, so you feed the beast. Wrestling is a financial sinkhole. Your question is better put to james Franklin about how he feels that Cael is sucking up over $700k of football earnings.

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany 2.0
Less than $1 million, if I had to guess. More than DeChellis, but not much more.

the lowest paid in the league. But why would PSU have given Chambers a big raise? We are acting like he was some kind of hero of Penn State. He did very little here other than have some good recruiting classes

Who said anything about giving Chambers a raise? What, and put basketball in a bigger hole on an operating basis?

I don't think men's basketball operates at a loss

Only because of over $9mm it receives from the Big Ten and the NCAA, distributions that are almost entirely independent of whether the basketball program wins no games or goes dancing every year. Take that away and it's in the hole by nearly $5mm. Coach Shrews gonna hafta sell a lot of tickets to make that up.

I want kids who want to be at PSU. Maybe the kids hitting the portal have a legitimate beef with Sandy, but they’re either all in or all out. If being at Penn State isn’t a priority for them, for all that Penn State offers, then Shrewsberry will find kids for whom it is.
Geezus Bob .....you almost sound lucid?

bizarre logic

The football program generates $100 million. Take away $65 million and things are not so good.

Really? There are two major differences. First, the football program generates a not-inconsiderable surplus even without conference distributions. Difficult to see that ever happening for the basketball program. Second, PSU football is a major contributor to Big Ten revenue distribution, largely from media rights and bowl revenue. PSU basketball? Pffffftttt.

Really? There are two major differences. First, the football program generates a not-inconsiderable surplus even without conference distributions. Difficult to see that ever happening for the basketball program. Second, PSU football is a major contributor to Big Ten revenue distribution, largely from media rights and bowl revenue. PSU basketball? Pffffftttt.

That would make sense if we weren't in the Big Ten, but we are. The revenue allocation rules apply to everyone and the basketball program doesn't operate at a loss.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Cincinnati has had five kids enter the portal in the last 48 hours as well. Maybe we can just Swap all of them? JK
Whether any of the kids come back or not maybe they should take a look at tre Mitchell from UMass. 6'9 originally from Pittsburgh.

That would make sense if we weren't in the Big Ten, but we are. The revenue allocation rules apply to everyone and the basketball program doesn't operate at a loss.

So if the Big Ten didn't direct allocations of revenue sharing PSU could drop it against the "unallocated" line to cover $34mm of net expense not attributed to specific sports. Sandy would love that. More money to hire administrators.

We do not know, and never will, why Chambers was separated. We know he pushed a kid and made a comment about a noose. Whether either of these rises to the level of conduct which merits separation is not something I’m interested in commentIng on as I suspect there are good opinions on both sides. I’m wondering though if there were other more serious allegations. The fact that it took an investigation to come up with some cause for action leads me to believe, although I have no basis for doing so, that there were findings other than the two items I mentioned. Chambers seems to me to be a pretty intense individual. Does anyone have a clue as to what else is out there that might have gotten him in trouble?

Last edited:
We do not know, and never will, why Chambers was separated. We know he pushed a kid and made a comment about a noose. Whether either of these rises to the level of conduct which merits separation is not something I’m interested in commentIng on as I suspect there are good opinions on both sides. I’m wondering though if there were other more serious allegations. The fact that it took an investigation to come up with some cause for action leads me to believe that there were findings other than the two items I mentioned. Chambers seems to me to be a pretty intense individual. Does anyone have a clue as to what else is out there that might have gotten him in trouble?

No clue, but it was very abrupt. And that was after other issues. So you have to wonder.

If you did those two things in your job, do you think there would even be an investigation before you got canned? That's where I kind of draw the line and side with the AD on this one

Reactions: Nitwit
Last year we may have been a six seed. The NIT title team was not good enough to dance....how do I know that? Because they didn’t make it. How many other consistent “top 50” teams don’t make the tournament every year? Just asking.
With auto-bids, top 50 doesn't dance. Hell, we are top-40 this season (KenPom, not my declaration) and not dancing. The latest NIT team rolled their way to the NIT title - pretty evident that they were shoulders above the competition. That team was pretty easily good enough to dance if it wasn't for Reaves becoming ill and missing a crucial stretch in the season.

If the Dance was really the top 68 teams in the nation, it would look a hell of a lot different than it currently does.

It's a great opportunity for a PSU fab five 😁
636604503494954837-The-booster-cover.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
With auto-bids, top 50 doesn't dance. Hell, we are top-40 this season (KenPom, not my declaration) and not dancing. The latest NIT team rolled their way to the NIT title - pretty evident that they were shoulders above the competition. That team was pretty easily good enough to dance if it wasn't for Reaves becoming ill and missing a crucial stretch in the season.

If the Dance was really the top 68 teams in the nation, it would look a hell of a lot different than it currently does.
True, but by the time you take the 32 at large bids, the conference winners who are mostly top 50 teams, and the other auto bids that are top 50 teams, very few of the top 50 teams are left out....yet we always seem to be. And obviously KenPom doesn’t carry as much weight as win/loss record at the end of the day.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I get entering the portal if you’ve had a lack of playing time, don’t like the school or coach. That doesn’t seem to be the case with these guys. Exchanging the uncertainty at Penn State for even greater uncertainty at another program seems short-sighted.

I get entering the portal if you’ve had a lack of playing time, don’t like the school or coach. That doesn’t seem to be the case with these guys. Exchanging the uncertainty at Penn State for even greater uncertainty at another program seems short-sighted.
The players don't like the administration and how they have handled this. Hardly short-sighted. Turnover with a new coach is nothing new

True, but by the time you take the 32 at large bids, the conference winners who are mostly top 50 teams, and the other auto bids that are top 50 teams, very few of the top 50 teams are left out....yet we always seem to be. And obviously KenPom doesn’t carry as much weight as win/loss record at the end of the day.
The claim was not whether or not we have been in the tourney, but rather that we were a top-50 team according to the metrics. Which, yes, we have been top-50 according to the metrics. Let's not move the goalposts;

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT