ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

Art wins. $700k loss, I had old numbers which means there was a drastic change in something and it appears the endowment is considerably smaller.

Not a problem.

I really didn't intend to pick on wrestling per se. But if PSU wants to invest more in a sport like basketball, which can provide a positive financial return, somethign has got to give. Wrestling would be one of the last the look at. That huge chunk of unallocated overhead is number one with a bullet.

Not a problem.

I really didn't intend to pick on wrestling per se. But if PSU wants to invest more in a sport like basketball, which can provide a positive financial return, somethign has got to give. Wrestling would be one of the last the look at. That huge chunk of unallocated overhead is number one with a bullet.

Yep. 31 sports does not make sense to maintain IMO.

Reactions: bison13
Yes, it was a terrific gift. It given to my wife and I on our 40th Wedding Anniversary by a dear friend. We intend to open it on our 50th, which is less than 2 years away.
If I remember, and at my age, I don't always, I will describe the experience in great detail.:)
50? Congratulations (and this goes for all board members in loing-lasting marriages) for doing it right! Enjoy that bottle :)

Consider the possibility that Chambers (as part of his NDA) did not want anything stated or implied about the reasons for his resignation. It could have even been a personal matter that he would not want publically revealed under any circumstances.
That's possible but IMO unlikely. Bolton's race accusations followed by PSU firing have irreparably damaged Chambers reputation. Who is going to hire him now? I don't think he has much more to lose.

I think it's more likely that PSU didn't want Chambers to say anything negative about the university and they were willing to pay him a nice severance package in exchange for his silence.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Average attendance numbers:
95/96 14,823 8 games
96/97 13,145 15 games
97/98 9,723 14 games
98/99 10,635 14 games
99/00 9,350 17 games
00/01 10,588 14 games

People did show up in the early years.
That's my point. PSU's remote location will keep us from routinely filling the arena but a competitive product should get us over 10,000 per game. I don't accept that PSU fans simply aren't interested in basketball.

That's my point. PSU's remote location will keep us from routinely filling the arena but a competitive product should get us over 10,000 per game. I don't accept that PSU fans simply aren't interested in basketball.
Our fans certainly have less interest in basketball than any of our peers (save for maybe Northwestern).

Our fans certainly have less interest in basketball than any of our peers (save for maybe Northwestern).

And both programs have consistently been the worst products in the conference. To bdgan’s point, you can’t convince me that the lack of basketball interest isn’t attached to how poor the program has been.

Watching the tournament was always huge when I was at Penn State. Additionally, you can’t tell me a huge swath of current students and alum aren’t following the Sixers on a nightly basis right now.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
And both programs have consistently been the worst products in the conference. To bdgan’s point, you can’t convince me that the lack of basketball interest isn’t attached to how poor the program has been.
Look at the support Nebraska gets...look at Minnesota. We’ve been better on the court than them over several years, but our crowds, buzz, etc aren’t close. Some of our fans will jump on the bandwagon come February/March if we have an NCAA caliber team. Nebraska packs their place all year even if they suck. Is it due to the great product they usually put on the court? Does Minnesota fill the Barn because they their fans want to see a great team?

It’s kinda the same reason why we can still get over 100k in Beaver Stadium while putting up 4 losing seasons in 5 years.

You can’t convince me that our product in the court isn’t linked to how little PSU fans care about basketball, relative to our peers.

Look at the support Nebraska gets...look at Minnesota. We’ve been better on the court than them over several years, but our crowds, buzz, etc aren’t close. Some of our fans will jump on the bandwagon come February/March if we have an NCAA caliber team. Nebraska packs their place all year even if they suck. Is it due to the great product they usually put on the court? Does Minnesota fill the Barn because they their fans want to see a great team?

It’s kinda the same reason why we can still get over 100k in Beaver Stadium while putting up 4 losing seasons in 5 years.

You can’t convince me that our product in the court isn’t linked to how little PSU fans care about basketball, relative to our peers.

Maybe, but back to the location, Minneapolis and Lincoln are both larger metropolitan areas. Nebraska has a state of the art arena. I haven’t seen Nebraska’s attendance numbers, but why would people in Nebraska care more about basketball than people in PA?

Last edited:

Gotta do better than that. Average attendance in 2019-20 was 9,200.

Maybe, but back to the location, Minneapolis and Lincoln are both larger metropolitan areas. Lincoln has a state of the art arena. I haven’t seen Nebraska’s
I don’t disagree...but it’s a hurdle we fight when recruits walk into packed B1G arenas every night on their recruiting visits (and a fanbase wanting to $ support basketball).

Reactions: PSUoh90

University with 35K student. I'm sure if we fielded a good team more than a few would show up.

University with 35K student. I'm sure if we fielded a good team more than a few would show up.
Last year, on February 18th, we took the court against Illinois as the 9th ranked team in the country. Our attendance was 9,506.

February 26th, we were ranked 16th playing at home against Rutgers. Our attendance was 8,345.

I guess we just have to field a team that's a lot better than 9th or 16th in the country to get any of the students to care?

How many other teams in Power 5 conferences do you think would play in front of a gym that's less than two/thirds full while ranked 9th or 16th in February?

Last year, on February 18th, we took the court against Illinois as the 9th ranked team in the country. Our attendance was 9,506.

February 26th, we were ranked 16th playing at home against Rutgers. Our attendance was 8,345.

I guess we just have to field a team that's a lot better than 9th or 16th in the country to get any of the students to care?

How many other teams in Power 5 conferences do you think would play in front of a gym that's less than two/thirds full while ranked 9th or 16th in February?
To be fair that top 10 ranking lasted about a week.

Even if a very solid team, late night games, middle of the week, potential bad weather, not close to a big city definitely makes it tough for non-students outside the area.

More students may show up but it does not seems students are given a large allocation in BJC. Does anyone know approximate amount? I think in Pegula students get close to a 1000 in the Roar Zone.

To be fair that top 10 ranking lasted about a week.
OK...so an occasional trip into the top 10 isn't enough to central PA and the 40k students to support the basketball team? Those top 10 rankings need to be sustained? We spent 10 weeks ranked.

Even if a very solid team, late night games, middle of the week, potential bad weather, not close to a big city definitely makes it tough for non-students outside the area.

More students may show up but it does not seems students are given a large allocation in BJC. Does anyone know approximate amount? I think in Pegula students get close to a 1000 in the Roar Zone.
Students could have about 8k seats if they wanted them. There is no limit to the "allocation"...that's how many students wanted basketball tickets.

Reactions: bison13
Students could have about 8k seats if they wanted them. There is no limit to the "allocation"...that's how many students wanted basketball tickets.

Come on. Athletics is not going to give students 8,000 seats if team is really good. That would be giving money away in their view.

Come on. Athletics is not going to give students 8,000 seats if team is really good. That would be giving money away in their view.
Realistically then...the first year of the BJC, there were a little over 4k student tickets sold.

There is nothing at all capping the student section right now...if they could get 5k more students wanting to buy a package up front, I believe they'd sell all 5k of them. Sure, at some point it would stop, but that number will be pretty darn high.

I forget the exact numbers, but the sidelines section and the baseline over flow section is like 3kish, then after they fill there is another overflow in the upper bowl.

If it's not sold out, they'll just keep packing students into the upper bowl.

Reactions: RGWhirly
Maybe, but back to the location, Minneapolis and Lincoln are both larger metropolitan areas. Nebraska has a state of the art arena. I haven’t seen Nebraska’s attendance numbers, but why would people in Nebraska care more about basketball than people in PA?

Nebraska built an arena for basketball. PSU built a crappy concert hall.

Virginia Tech offers a good basis for comparison. It's primarily a football school in an isolated rural location with little men's hoops tradition, perhaps a tad more than PSU.

After VT hired Seth Greenberg and started winning consistently, attendance increased sharply. It dropped off after he left, but jumped up again after Buzz Williams was hired and started winning consistently. Not sure how it's been since he left.

If you win, they will come.

Yes it was made to play basketball and volleyball in. Not a multipurpose echo chamber. They also don't rent it.
Nebraska's arena seats over 15k and can handle hockey, concerts, basketball, etc. 3 decks, plenty of seats nowhere close to the court, etc. They certainly aren't packing them in because it's a great place to see a basketball game. It's a multi-purpose facility that has a lot of similarities to the BJC.

How does the accounting structure of the arena really matter? And why is Nebraska not renting out their arena? They don't even own it. Do they get free rent? At least any money generated by PSU playing in the BJC stays within our university.

Nebraska's arena seats over 15k and can handle hockey, concerts, basketball, etc. 3 decks, plenty of seats nowhere close to the court, etc. They certainly aren't packing them in because it's a great place to see a basketball game. It's a multi-purpose facility that has a lot of similarities to the BJC.

How does the accounting structure of the arena really matter? And why is Nebraska not renting out their arena? They don't even own it. Do they get free rent? At least any money generated by PSU playing in the BJC stays within our university.

It is considered by most to be one of the nicest basketball arenas in the country. It is nothing like the BJC in a basketball game aside from a basketball and hoops to shoot at.

Virginia Tech offers a good basis for comparison. It's primarily a football school in an isolated rural location with little men's hoops tradition, perhaps a tad more than PSU.

After VT hired Seth Greenberg and started winning consistently, attendance increased sharply. It dropped off after he left, but jumped up again after Buzz Williams was hired and started winning consistently. Not sure how it's been since he left.

If you win, they will come.
They're a tough comparison because their arena is so small for a Power 5 school (probably a problem that we wished we had). In their best years, they are averaging 7-8k fans (ie, less than us).

Just saying... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...s/gmp26307423/best-college-basketball-arenas/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT