ADVERTISEMENT

Entire MBB team enters transfer portal?

Purdue is playing in a tournament for the national championship. How many months until Penn States next game? It’s not like Shrew can’t spend some time hiring coaches and talking to potential transfer recruits. The idea that being full time at Penn State right away is life or death for the future of the program is laughable. We just had our head coach resign 30 days before the season started and we performed about as expected.

He already hired an assistant. He is obviously working two jobs right now. Why burn bridges with Purdue? It is really absurd that anyone has a big issue with this.

He already hired an assistant. He is obviously working two jobs right now. Why burn bridges with Purdue? It is really absurd that anyone has a big issue with this.
Not much different than giving a two week or four week notice. It happens all the time.

Reactions: RGWhirly
But they weren't using those performance related reasons. In fact, Sandy had praised his performance. I know, I know, those pesky details. I've been very up front that this is my opinion, and these are the things that draw me to these conclusions. So, why do you think PSU insisted on a nondisclosure clause? Unless you've got a crap lawyer, those do cost money.
Maybe it was Chambers who insisted on the NDA to prevent whatever he did from becoming public. Suppose just for provocative discussion that he covered up drug use by his players in order to keep them on the court, hence the loyalty among the team. I don’t think he would ever do that as he appeared to be a disciplinarian, but in fact - no one on this message board knows the circumstances which lead to his separation, but don’t allow that to stop you from ridiculous speculation or blaming the lesbian.

Last edited:
Maybe it was Chambers who insisted on the NDA to prevent whatever he did from becoming public. Suppose just for discussion that he covered up drug use by his players in order to keep them on the court. I don’t think he would do that but in fact - No one on this board knows the circumstances which lead to his separation but don’t allow that to stop you from speculation.
Speculating as if he knows it’s a fact.

Maybe it was Chambers who insisted on the NDA to prevent whatever he did from becoming public.
Exactly. Whatever the reason(s), seems odd that Chambers apparently has been unwilling to let his former players know, despite their strong interest. It may be totally unrelated to the prior allegations and may be something Chambers does not want publically revealed.

If your new company thought your position critical enough that it needed to be filled right away you would have been there, or they would have found someone else. You also would have known before any job offer because they would have told you beforehand that such and such a date was non-negotiable. PSU's current situation is critical enough that failing to get the new guy in right now could cause several more years of damage. While I am mildly annoyed at Shrubbery, I am stunned at Sandy and PSU's disregard for the program.

The only coaches willing to abandon their teams at the start of or in the middle of a championship run are coaches whose integrity I wouldn't trust to coach at Penn State. So, that leaves you with coaching candidates whose teams did not qualify for a playoff, i.e., a pretty damn mediocre candidate pool.

Purdue is playing in a tournament for the national championship. How many months until Penn States next game? It’s not like Shrew can’t spend some time hiring coaches and talking to potential transfer recruits. The idea that being full time at Penn State right away is life or death for the future of the program is laughable. We just had our head coach resign 30 days before the season started and we performed about as expected.

Not sure that he can talk to potential transfers on behalf of PSU, which may be one of the incentives for him to hire an assistant quickly.

Exactly. Whatever the reason(s), seems odd that Chambers apparently has been unwilling to let his former players know, despite their strong interest. It may be totally unrelated to the prior allegations and may be something Chambers does not want publically revealed.
Regardless of what may or may not have happened that led to Chambers departure lets not forget all the good he did in the community. Too many times everyone focuses on one negative aspect, and completely disregard all the good things someone does. In today’s world, unfortunately the cries of a few often outweigh the praise of many. ( note.....this in no way is meant to disregard actual crimes or intentional racism, neither of which can ever be tolerated).

All I’m saying is let’s stop focusing on everything negative about what chambers may have done and focus on the good things we know he did. He did some good things for PSU basketball and some great things for the community and for that I am very appreciative.

Back to portal news and PC news. Heard he is one of the candidates at Fordham. If he gets it, would assume Wheeler and maybe one or two others could follow..

I know Maryland is making a hard push for Harrar. Would hate to see him stay in conference.

All I’m saying is let’s stop focusing on everything negative about what chambers may have done and focus on the good things we know he did. He did some good things for PSU basketball and some great things for the community and for that I am very appreciative.
I too appreciate what Chambers did for PSU men's hoops and for the community. I very much wanted him to do well. My comment is simply that Chambers may not want anyone to know why he resigned, for reasons that are important to him personally.

Villanova fans must be rooting against Neptune getting the job, since I assume he’d have to bail on them in the middle of an NCAA run to get started.
Why couldn't he wait until it's over like Shrewsberry?

I have read some pretty fascinating responses in this thread. Apparently head coaching positions in basketball, especially at large schools, are plentiful. Personally, I think Shrubbery is foolish for not jumping on the job right away. This nonsense that nothing is going on right now, or for 200 days is absurd. Signing period starts in a mere few weeks. On top of that, the current team and depth has expressed a desire to leave. That's suddenly both long term and short term problems, but it's no big deal to some people. If I'm him, I look at it from the perspective of his second contract. The faster he shows success, the bigger its going to be; the more, and bigger opportunities he's going to have. The first contract is done, but it took twenty plus years to get. These positions are few and far between. Hey, psu let him have the choice, but I still find it puzzling.

Now, psu's perspective is especially troubling. They don't seem to understand they are offering multiples and possibly an order of magnitude more of life altering money for a very scarce type of job, and a program that needs immediate work to avoid an even bigger setback that could tack on several more years of a rebuild. They had every opportunity to put the stipulation of the start date in even before anyone interviewed. You're not scaring anyone off from a rare potential head coaching position and massive pay increase by doing that. Apparently they seem to think everything is just fine and dandy, and recruiting requirements are really far off.

I too appreciate what Chambers did for PSU men's hoops and for the community. I very much wanted him to do well. My comment is simply that Chambers may not want anyone to know why he resigned, for reasons that are important to him personally.
Was not meant to be a shot at you, just more of a general comment.

Reactions: Yboby
Maybe it was Chambers who insisted on the NDA to prevent whatever he did from becoming public. Suppose just for provocative discussion that he covered up drug use by his players in order to keep them on the court, hence the loyalty among the team. I don’t think he would ever do that as he appeared to be a disciplinarian, but in fact - no one on this message board knows the circumstances which lead to his separation, but don’t allow that to stop you from ridiculous speculation or blaming the lesbian.

Sure, he wants an NDA so he can't tell other potential employers why he resigned. Suppose for provocative discussion that I consider this dumbest thing I've ever read.

Btw, its unfortunate to see your homophobic self is back. You do know that she is much more than merely a lesbian, and it in no way impacts her job or abilities.

^^^ And if Purdue makes the Final Four or better, Shrewsberry can use that as a recruiting tool here as well since he would obviously have been a large part of that success.

There is more upside than downside of him staying with Purdue. If they falter early he will be here soon enough.

Regardless of what may or may not have happened that led to Chambers departure lets not forget all the good he did in the community. Too many times everyone focuses on one negative aspect, and completely disregard all the good things someone does. In today’s world, unfortunately the cries of a few often outweigh the praise of many. ( note.....this in no way is meant to disregard actual crimes or intentional racism, neither of which can ever be tolerated).

Is the part in bold above in reference to Chambers specifically?

Not sure that he can talk to potential transfers on behalf of PSU, which may be one of the incentives for him to hire an assistant quickly.

If so he's handicapping the program at an important time.

Reported attendance for FB, BB, Hockey, etc. are always tix sold plus other attendees. It is never butts in seats.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Reported attendance for FB, BB, Hockey, etc. are always tix sold plus other attendees. It is never butts in seats.

Which is a pretty good surrogate when talking about revenue generating potential.

Is the part in bold above in reference to Chambers specifically?
Absolutely not. Just implying that sometimes people make mistakes and as a result people tend to forget all the good they may have done and fail to give them second chances or label them as bad people. However, if an individual commits a blatant crime or intentional racism....those instances warrant the scrutiny they get.

Not necessarily. Fisher can act as his surrogate as soon as PSU gets his paperwork done.

Surrogates are not the same as the head coach in stature, especially when other head coaches are calling.

Some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy about something.

Mind you, PSU Hoops fans have had allot to be unhappy about over the years (decades), but landing Micah Shrewsberry for our head coaching job is one of the best breaks we've had in a while, so naturally people have to bitch and moan about it.

Reactions: bison13
If so he's handicapping the program at an important time.
It’s not that critical. Do you think all of the coveted transfers will be spoken for in the next week? Heck, there are many, I’d bet, who haven’t yet entered the portal.

Reactions: bison13
It’s not that critical. Do you think all of the coveted transfers will be spoken for in the next week? Heck, there are many, I’d bet, who haven’t yet entered the portal.

Regular signing period starts in a few weeks too. That's three groups of potential players: new recruits, transfer portal recruits, and trying to keep as many players from last year that needs immediate attention.

Sure, he wants an NDA so he can't tell other potential employers why he resigned. Suppose for provocative discussion that I consider this dumbest thing I've ever read.

Btw, its unfortunate to see your homophobic self is back. You do know that she is much more than merely a lesbian, and it in no way impacts her job or abilities.
You misunderstood. What I said is that he might want the NDA so that the university couldn’t make public the reason for his separation.

You misunderstood. What I said is that he might want the NDA so that the university couldn’t make public the reason for his separation.

No, I understood. What would Chambers have to offer up to get an NDA if he were fired for cause?

No, I understood. What would Chambers have to offer up to get an NDA if he were fired for cause?

Coaches are seldom fired "for cause" and wind up walking away with nothing. See Art Briles and Rick Pitino. And we're dealing with PSU where all you need to do to get a large check is show up.

Reactions: Nitwit
I respect and applaud Shrew for sticking with his team and riding it out. He gains more experience and talking points for future recruits. Plus he can honestly say he is a players coach and always will have their back. I don’t care if he misses on a couple dudes who declare before he is done. The ROI is much better for the long haul. Those who matter will wait. Let the others bolt. It is a rebuild process not like psu was inches away. I personally am rooting for Boilers to win it all. Don’t think they have enuf but they could go far. And if they do that will only elevate his reputation as he hits the phones

Coaches are seldom fired "for cause" and wind up walking away with nothing. See Art Briles and Rick Pitino. And we're dealing with PSU where all you need to do to get a large check is show up.

Chambers resigned. What would he have to offer up to get an NDA? I'm just trying to understand why PSU would wish to keep it quiet if they were justified, and why Chambers would not want to address the smear job PSU already leveled against him. I will reiterate this scenario was posited by another poster.

Um - a cash settlement to release PSU from its contractual obligations, the terms of which would not be in the university’s interest to disclose. Cause is subject to interpretation and often litigation. They wanted to avoid that so they paid him off and both parties agreed on confidentiality. That’s how settlements normally work.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT