ADVERTISEMENT

End of Harbaugh Era?

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
Jim Rome lays down a brutal critique.
Not posting to pile on, but because this does a damn good job of summarizing what has been said on here over Jimmy's tenure in Ann Arbor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmos
I enjoy seeing Harbaugh getting ripped on but regardless of who does it, Jim Rome is still a jackass.

I didn't realize Rome had so much invested in Meatchicken. Jesus, he goes on and on. What a blow @ss.

Reactions: Bob78
As a Michigan guy told me last week..... Harbaugh will be there as long as boosters keep piling money into the program. Evidently, even with so-so results on the field, giving $$$ is at record levels.

How big is this week's game vs. Iowa? If Michigan wins they're back on track. If they lose that will be 2 losses with PSU coming up 2 weeks later followed by Notre Dame. They could easily be a 3-4 loss team before playing MSU & OSU.

Reactions: NedFromYork
As a Michigan guy told me last week..... Harbaugh will be there as long as boosters keep piling money into the program. Evidently, even with so-so results on the field, giving $$$ is at record levels.

It is impossible for many michigan athletic supporters, especially alumni, to reconcile that hairball, as a “michigan man”, isn’t the answer. They can’t accept the idea, in their small minds, of stooping down to the level of many other schools that go outside the program to hire a coach.

It is impossible for many michigan athletic supporters, especially alumni, to reconcile that hairball, as a “michigan man”, isn’t the answer. They can’t accept the idea, in their small minds, of stooping down to the level of many other schools that go outside the program to hire a coach.
Like Bo Schembechler?

Reactions: Aloha T
If my figures are even remotely close Jim Harbaugh makes in the neighborhood of $7,000,000 per year and when you factor in incentives his entire compensation package is north of $60,000,000. Jim Rome may be harsh but he is correct, after a Bye Week you were Out Prepared, Out Coached and Out Played. Simply put, Michigan is not getting a good return on investment.

Reactions: heckmans
Not that I like the guy, but I'm somewhat surprised Harbaugh isn't working out at Michigan. The guy was a pretty good coach in turning around the Niners, and before that, he had Stanford going in the right direction.

Reactions: pittpsu
IMO ... Harbaugh is doing fine and scUM should stick with him. Changing coaches all the time gets you nowhere. Find the right one for your culture and stick with them. Three out of four 10 win seasons with 8 wins in the "down" year. Looks fine to me.

Bo's record at Michigan (1969 - 1989) overall was 194–48–5. Jimmy seems to be running pretty close to that record.

LOL! Most of his good seasons were when the Big 10 was the Big 2 and little 8. The other Big 10 teams back then were absolutely atrocious except for OSU.

michigan football under bo, at its best:

Beat Tosu and win the big two plus little eight. Then suffer an ASS. BEATING. :eek: in the Rose Bowl.

RINSE. REPEAT. :eek:

Reactions: lilwashnitfan
Bo is one of the top 5 CF coaches of all time. I don't think any rational CF fan - regardless of who they pull for - can argue against him. Look at his awesome record !!!!
I don't mean to dis Bo. He had a great winning percentage and he won 13 BiG titles but he never won a national championship and his bowl record was a dismal 5-12. That's not a top 5 resume.

P.S. Michigan AD Don Canham's first choice for coach was Joe Paterno.

IMO ... Harbaugh is doing fine and scUM should stick with him. Changing coaches all the time gets you nowhere. Find the right one for your culture and stick with them. Three out of four 10 win seasons with 8 wins in the "down" year. Looks fine to me.

Bo's record at Michigan (1969 - 1989) overall was 194–48–5. Jimmy seems to be running pretty close to that record.

It says plenty about michigan if hairball is the right one for their CULTURE. :eek: . :)

Bo is one of the top 5 CF coaches of all time. I don't think any rational CF fan - regardless of who they pull for - can argue against him. Look at his awesome record !!!!

In no particular order:
Saban
Bear
Urban
Paterno
Bowden
Rockne
Hayes
Osborne
Narduzzi

Paterno, Rockne, Bryant, Wilkerson, Royal, McCay, Meyer, Holtz and about 20 other coaches say hello. Bo maybe one of UM’s top five all time but that’s about it fanboy.

Don't disagree, but I also don't think he's wrong here.

He's not wrong but everything he's saying is so obvious and superficial. There's no analysis or expertise. He just repeats obvious things in a ranting tone over and over again. Pretty much a waste of 5 minutes.

"End of the Harbaugh Era?" Can you actually have "an era" when you have never even won your division in the BIG? Maybe we should call it something else--like "The Harbaugh Error".
If they wind up with enough losses, the Harbaugh Error will be done. Good one!

Another great UM coach often overlooked was Fielding Yost who compiled a 165-29-10 record for a percentage of 0.833 ----just off the charts unreal. He certainly belongs in the top 10 of all time !!!!!!

Another great UM coach often overlooked was Fielding Yost who compiled a 165-29-10 record for a percentage of 0.833 ----just off the charts unreal. He certainly belongs in the top 10 of all time !!!!!!

Of course the top ten of all time has about 7 or 8 UM coaches on it! :)

Reactions: The_Unit

Yep, top 10 of all time at Michigan...

Last edited:

Dude i really love bo. In terms of what he meant to college football and what he did for a school. But he is not top 5 as a coach.

Reactions: Bob78
Jim Rome lays down a brutal critique.
Not posting to pile on, but because this does a damn good job if summarizing what has been said on here over Jimmy's tenure in Ann Arbor.

If Rome sees it, chances are its obvious.

You do have to wonder about all this money being paid with the intention of winning convincingly. What happens when it doesn't happen?

No problem. Let them enjoy their investment in mediocrity for decades.

I don't even have to try hard to destroy that thinking. There are many coaches I'd take above Bo. Here are a few:

Joe Paterno
Bear Bryant
Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Bobby Bowden
John McKay
John Robinson
Dabo Sweeney
Bud Wilkinson
Bob Stoops
Woody Hayes
Steve Spurrier

That's just for starters. Shall I go on? All better than Bo and then some.

If Rome sees it, chances are its obvious.

You do have to wonder about all this money being paid with the intention of winning convincingly. What happens when it doesn't happen?

Again. I don't disagree. But if it is so obvious, why aren't all the other very smart CFB people saying it?
My interest in seeing this is that the media has an undying love affair and belief that UM and Harbaugh will win...seems like they almost try to will it. That any member of the media is now saying what Rome is saying, it is worthy of mention.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT