ADVERTISEMENT

DISH drops FS1 and BTN

How do you change channels with Hulu/live? Is there a hook-up for a remote? Or, do you have to go to the computer/laptop/tablet and change the channel with your mouse (or whatever pointing device)?
Use smart tv or get Amazon fire stick,apple tv, chrome cast for non smart tv's data is from internet/WiFi

Well this sucks. DISH dropped FS1 and BTN. No game for my family on TV tomorrow. Will have to see if my DSL is up to streaming. Not likely though.
I remember a couple of years ago I wanted to watch a game and couldn’t find it on tv. My son in law found it on an overseas broadcast on the internet. Sorry I don’t remember how he found it but he did.

How do you change channels with Hulu/live? Is there a hook-up for a remote? Or, do you have to go to the computer/laptop/tablet and change the channel with your mouse (or whatever pointing device)?
I got a Roku streaming stick that plugs into the HDMI slot on my TV and the Roku remote uses the Hulu app to select channels and other movies and TV series available on Hulu. If you have a smart TV that is compatible with the Hulu Live app, you may not need the streaming stick. I know Sling was running a promotion for a free Roku or Amazon fire stick to use for streaming. Hulu may have a similar offer.

Reactions: BoulderFish
I live in the sticks in NEPA where there are not a whole lot of TV providers available, so I had to go with DISH for the time being. As an aside, my wife and I were able to watch last year's game with Ohio State live on an iPad while on our honeymoon in Mauritius via a link we found on Reddit.com. If we were able to do that in the middle of the Indian Ocean, I'm pretty confident there will be a way to watch these games at home.

One word......Directv.

I've owned both. Had DTV for 15 years. Service degraded when AT&T bought it. AT&T operates like big government bureaucracy.

Color me a fool but these contract disputes come up all the time. DTV isn't immune to it. It's the new reality. Get used to it or 'cut the chord' and go ala carte.
Disney/ABC/ESPN, ATT/DirectTV/Warner/HBO/, Comcast/NBC, etc all are doing to going play hard ball with carriage fees since they all put a “streaming” service into play.

I’ve had DirecTV since the late 1990s.
I’ve got no complaints. Takes a pretty nasty storm to KO my reception. Happens 3 or 4 times a year, usually for a matter of a few minutes.
I live in a rural area with notoriously slow internet. Besides, I’m old and don’t have the desire or expertise to find what I want to watch via computer.
Obviously not a fan of DTV pricing, but my wife gets them on the phone, threats to cancel, and talks her way into some type of price discount every year.

I’ve had DirecTV since the late 1990s.
I’ve got no complaints. Takes a pretty nasty storm to KO my reception. Happens 3 or 4 times a year, usually for a matter of a few minutes.
I live in a rural area with notoriously slow internet. Besides, I’m old and don’t have the desire or expertise to find what I want to watch via computer.
Obviously not a fan of DTV pricing, but my wife gets them on the phone, threats to cancel, and talks her way into some type of price discount every year.

That may have been the way it occurred before AT&T took over but since they have I've not heard any success stories with folks going this route.

I tried Hulu Live and liked it, but ultimately switched to YouTube TV just because I preferred their format. Both are WAY cheaper than cable/satellite, plus you can swap accounts with friends/family.

That may have been the way it occurred before AT&T took over but since they have I've not heard any success stories with folks going this route.

The prior year-long “deal” she worked out expired in July. Took her maybe three phone calls, the last of which she requested to be removed from the auto pay/bank debit because she would likely be dropping DTV for a different provider. They put her on hold for a few minutes and came back with an offer of $25 off each month for a year. This all took place within the last month or so.

How ANYONE can watch streaming TV is beyond me. You don't have a DVR to record shows, pause or rewind. Right? Can you buy some kind of DVR to do these actions? I very rarely watch anything live except for sports and some news shows. At my age I'm not giving a second of my remaining years by watching a commercial and waiting during commercial breaks.

Reactions: UncleLar
How ANYONE can watch streaming TV is beyond me. You don't have a DVR to record shows, pause or rewind. Right? Can you buy some kind of DVR to do these actions? I very rarely watch anything live except for sports and some news shows. At my age I'm not giving a second of my remaining years by watching a commercial and waiting during commercial breaks.
DVR features are available, they vary by each streamer

Assuming you would be streaming on your computer, there are a number of screen capture programs. I use Snagit which costs $50. Basically, whatever is running on your screen is captured. Snagit is fairly simple, but if you don't like to deal with computers you might need a little help. Once the video is captured, you can manipulate it and play it back however you want. Here is a review of 5 programs. https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-apps-for-screen-capture-in-windows/

I live in the sticks in NEPA where there are not a whole lot of TV providers available, so I had to go with DISH for the time being. As an aside, my wife and I were able to watch last year's game with Ohio State live on an iPad while on our honeymoon in Mauritius via a link we found on Reddit.com. If we were able to do that in the middle of the Indian Ocean, I'm pretty confident there will be a way to watch these games at home.
Happy Valley Sports Bar in Dickson City. ;)

Reactions: GoGoBanana

Have you ever actually researched streaming? PSVue for example has unlimited “dvr”ing - you could literally record every show on every station if you wanted. You can skip past commercials and as long as you watch what you record within 28 days you’re golden. HuluTV has 50 or 200 hour dvr capabilities as well.

Only commercials I see anymore are when watching sports or youtube videos when watching on my roku.

Be glad you don’t have FS 1. Their broadcast team is awful. They rooted hard for MD, then eventually had to start conceding PSU was the better team. Wrong names, wrong numbers, behind the plays, misidentified penalties, etc.

Reactions: NittPicker
Be glad you don’t have FS 1. Their broadcast team is awful. They rooted hard for MD, then eventually had to start conceding PSU was the better team. Wrong names, wrong numbers, behind the plays, misidentified penalties, etc.

For sure. After this broadcast I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping FS1.

Well, Tim Brando is a Maryland grad iirc.

I've had both Dish and Direct.....and right now have Dish. I actually like Dish a lot better. But this crap has to stop. Not sure what to do now.

I've had both Dish and Direct.....and right now have Dish. I actually like Dish a lot better. But this crap has to stop. Not sure what to do now.

Provided you have high speed internet, drop Dish and go with Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV. I dropped Dish and signed up for Hulu Live TV. So far so good. I’ll save over 50.00 per month and the only reason I need live TV is for sports. There’s no contract and no equipment to “rent”. If I don’t like it I can cancel anytime and try YouTube TV.

When this nonsense happened Thursday i signed up for Hulu live to try it our and get the game. Have multiple TVs and one could run Hulu live and that's what i watched the game on last night. I was surprised how good it was. Just went and bought a fire stick for the other TV and am running only Hulu for games today to see if i like it and how the performance is. So far so good.

I will be canceling Dish tomorrow. I have had enough. Even with the $10 upgrade to unlimited streams i will still be saving $75 a month. Bye Dish....Direct TV and Comcast...

Provided you have high speed internet, drop Dish and go with Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV. I dropped Dish and signed up for Hulu Live TV. So far so good. I’ll save over 50.00 per month and the only reason I need live TV is for sports. There’s no contract and no equipment to “rent”. If I don’t like it I can cancel anytime and try YouTube TV.

I've thought about that, and I know people that have done that. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger when my contract was up last year, was simply because of sports and I think a couple other channels we watched. But the big one at the time was the loss of Pittsburgh Sports ATT or whatever it is, where they show Penguins and Pirates games also. So Dish lowered my bill again and away we went.

I guess losing the Pirates might be a blessing in disguise. I'll look into it again when my contract is up, but they will be giving me something for losing the Big Ten network.

I do it every single year in August. This year, got free Sunday Ticket and another $10 off/month. Always a 15 minute call that saves between 300-600 dollars depending upon the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT