ADVERTISEMENT

Depleted defense for bowl game

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Brisker, Brooks & Smith definitely opted out.

Other probable opt outs: Ebeketie & Tangelo (?)

Personally, I would want to leave Leuketa @ DE in this scenario and let the younger guys play LBer.

So will DL be?
DEs: Tarburton & Leuketa (sub Fisher)
DTs: Izzard & Ellies (subs Hansard & Vanover)

If Dotson opts out & the offense struggles, this game could get very ugly unless somehow the defense can contain Arkansas's very mobile QB and the RBs and get some turnovers.

Reactions: TheGLOV
DE's: Tarburton and Luketa starting. Vilbert, Fisher, and possibly Townley subbing. i.e. if Ebeketie ops out, which is not 100%.

DT's: Ellies and Izzard. Vanover, Hansard, and Mulbah. But I believe there is a decent chance that Tangelo plays, which will help big time against the run. And Maybe van den Burg is ready to get in the rotation as I don't believe he has played his 4 games yet.

Lots of depth on the DL, and a good bit of experienced depth. If Hansard is really healthy he could be a big lift to DT.

Of more concern is LB. The big question is where will Jacobs play. Has he worked enough at Will to move there from Sam for this game? I don't believe so.
Will the staff have enough confidence in Elsdon to let Luketa play DE? I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Then Katshir plays Will and the staff has to burn the redshirts of King and/or Buddin, probably King at least to have some depth for the game. Or will the staff just let the somewhat experienced walk on Chizmar play as a backup in his last game?

Lots of intrigue on defense to see who is ready to play and who will play....

Reactions: joewp and TheGLOV
If the ncaa had any brains they would just let any underclassman play without affecting eligibility. At this point who really cares.
That rule changed a couple years ago. They can play up to 4 games and still redshirt. So playing in the bowl game won't hurt.

DE's: Tarburton and Luketa starting. Vilbert, Fisher, and possibly Townley subbing. i.e. if Ebeketie ops out, which is not 100%.

DT's: Ellies and Izzard. Vanover, Hansard, and Mulbah. But I believe there is a decent chance that Tangelo plays, which will help big time against the run. And Maybe van den Burg is ready to get in the rotation as I don't believe he has played his 4 games yet.

Lots of depth on the DL, and a good bit of experienced depth. If Hansard is really healthy he could be a big lift to DT.

Of more concern is LB. The big question is where will Jacobs play. Has he worked enough at Will to move there from Sam for this game? I don't believe so.
Will the staff have enough confidence in Elsdon to let Luketa play DE? I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Then Katshir plays Will and the staff has to burn the redshirts of King and/or Buddin, probably King at least to have some depth for the game. Or will the staff just let the somewhat experienced walk on Chizmar play as a backup in his last game?

Lots of intrigue on defense to see who is ready to play and who will play....
Only way you burn a redshirt for a bowl is if you are in the final four playoff. No way a shirt is burned for a meaningless game.

Is there anyone on the roster who did that?
No idea. The second post alluded to the fact king or buddin may have to make the decision. My comment is an overall issue and not just PSU as we’ve seen the teams dropping off.

No idea. The second post alluded to the fact king or buddin may have to make the decision. My comment is an overall issue and not just PSU as we’ve seen the teams dropping off.
I'm with ya on the overall issue, I just wonder how many kids are actually playing the four games everywhere. Are coaches using the rule or not? I remember there was lots of talk about it when it came out but haven't heard much since.

Reactions: psualt
Only way you burn a redshirt for a bowl is if you are in the final four playoff. No way a shirt is burned for a meaningless game.
If either KIng (at Mike) or Buddin (at Sam, if Jacobs has moved to Will) would be needed to play due to the opt out's and they would be playing over half the snaps on defense to get game experience for 2022 it would not be meaningless. LB depth and experience at this point is a big concern this off season and there is no guarantee that the staff will find a LB (or 2) in the Portal that can contribute at a higher level than King and/or Buddin.

The other factor is their talent level, as if they look like potential NFL players down the road to the staff they won't likely be staying 5 years anyway.

The other factor is that sometimes players that don't redshirt as freshmen end up using that redshirt for an injury later in their PSU careers, which can be a big benefit to that player. Like Mustipher may do.

So although the staff may decide not to use either player in this bowl game, it' not "no way".................

Who cares about burning red shirts. The kids good he's gone after three years anyway and if he's not good he's in the transfer portal.

Reactions: harbest and BBrown
Yes, at least King at LBr and maybe Buddin.
On offense I think C. Holmes but thats a maybe.
Given that the staff knew that Brooks would very likely be moving on after this season, and Smith a good bet as well, it is surprising that they played King and Buddin 4 games in the regular season, knowing LB could be very thin in a bowl game. I guess we'll see how much of a priority redshirting them really is.

Who knows, the staff may just play Jacobs, Elsdon, and Katshir the whole game with Chizmar and Sutherland backing them up, and also play 5 DB's on a good many plays.

But any way you look at it, the extra practice time that King and Buddin are getting during the bowl practices will help them progress to compete for playing time in 2022.

If either KIng (at Mike) or Buddin (at Sam, if Jacobs has moved to Will) would be needed to play due to the opt out's and they would be playing over half the snaps on defense to get game experience for 2022 it would not be meaningless. LB depth and experience at this point is a big concern this off season and there is no guarantee that the staff will find a LB (or 2) in the Portal that can contribute at a higher level than King and/or Buddin.

The other factor is their talent level, as if they look like potential NFL players down the road to the staff they won't likely be staying 5 years anyway.

The other factor is that sometimes players that don't redshirt as freshmen end up using that redshirt for an injury later in their PSU careers, which can be a big benefit to that player. Like Mustipher may do.

So although the staff may decide not to use either player in this bowl game, it' not "no way".................
It is a no way, bank on it.

Who cares about burning red shirts. The kids good he's gone after three years anyway and if he's not good he's in the transfer portal.
With that line of thinking why wouldn't they have played all year?

Bowl games used to be exciting. The highlight of the season. Now with all the opt out crap I am less excited about this bowl game than I am about the Blue-White game.
Yep, it now serves the same purpose as the B/W game to fans - a chance to see some young players that will likely be starters the next season play prominent roles for the first time in a game situation.

Nice to win, but not really much of an extension to the Fall season.

Yep, it now serves the same purpose as the B/W game to fans - a chance to see some young players that will likely be starters the next season play prominent roles for the first time in a game situation.

Nice to win, but not really much of an extension to the Fall season.
Which is why you don't burn a shirt. Think of it like this, would you rather have Kobe King play 45 plays in the game and even win OR have him eligible to play 745 plays in a additional season? Simple.

Which is why you don't burn a shirt. Think of it like this, would you rather have Kobe King play 45 plays in the game and even win OR have him eligible to play 745 plays in a additional season? Simple.
Or if hes really good have him leave without either....

Think of like this. Would you rather have King play 45+ plays in the bowl game and be more ready to start and play well in 2022 knowing that he will likely not want to play more than 4 years at PSU, and then again may be able to use the saved redshirt for use during recovery from a future injury, or save the year of eligibility for a season he will never play at PSU?

Simple.

But not really, as every player has his own goals and aspirations for the length of his PSU career, and has likely shared that with the PSU coaches, and fans will never likely know what those aspirations are.

So it really isn't simple, and there are a number of ways a player and the staff may play this out. And it is different for each player in the scheme of that players goals and aspirations as well as where each player may fit in to the player rotations for this particular game.

I believe the staff will try and preserve redshirts. But if a player really want to play in this bowl game and the staff honestly believes that player can help the team perform better, then I believe the staff will agree to let that player play.

I'm getting there.
Now that Brisker and Dotson are out, I think we should plead a fear of Covid and just say we aren't playing the game. This is getting ridiculous. These kids have gotten a free education, free room and board, all kinds of perks, etc. They money came from the university. if they aren't going to play then they should pay back some of the money that they were given to play football.

Thanks for quitting on your school, fellas. Really left the team in a great place!

Contrary to the popular BS narrative, these kids get FAR MORE from the schools than the schools get from them. The school gets a player. These kids get free schooling, room and board, training, coaching, and exposure that allows them to possibly make the next level in football. Without that, they have no chance. And then they back out on their commitment and quit on their team. F that.

There was a time where I thought Penn State was above this. Not anymore.

Reactions: LemonEars
I'm OK with these kids opting out as long as they shut everything down and don't play in the Senior Bowl if invited. I can see kids not wanting to get injured in a meaningless bowl game just don't go and play in another meaningless game.

I'm OK with these kids opting out as long as they shut everything down and don't play in the Senior Bowl if invited. I can see kids not wanting to get injured in a meaningless bowl game just don't go and play in another meaningless game.
You mean the senior bowl where they are coached by NFL staff for a week? No benefit there. 🙄

Now that Brisker and Dotson are out, I think we should plead a fear of Covid and just say we aren't playing the game. This is getting ridiculous. These kids have gotten a free education, free room and board, all kinds of perks, etc. They money came from the university. if they aren't going to play then they should pay back some of the money that they were given to play football.

Yeah , I'm caring less about the program going forward, what's the point?

Thanks for quitting on your school, fellas. Really left the team in a great place!

Contrary to the popular BS narrative, these kids get FAR MORE from the schools than the schools get from them. The school gets a player. These kids get free schooling, room and board, training, coaching, and exposure that allows them to possibly make the next level in football. Without that, they have no chance. And then they back out on their commitment and quit on their team. F that.

There was a time where I thought Penn State was above this. Not anymore.
They never were, it was all an illusion. You really think our guys are somehow all high character while the others aren't ?
It was always bs.

These kids didn't get a free anything.
They practiced went through strength training and played games that generated revenue.
They earn an education as well.
Most of them will not play professional football so no big payday.

68343708.jpg

They practiced went through strength training and played games that generated revenue.
They earn an education as well.
Most of them will not play professional football so no big payday.
Yeah they did. Like other kids don't exercise ? They don't work jobs? They have so many more advantages over people like my kids who took out loans . And paid them back too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT