ADVERTISEMENT

Depleted defense for bowl game

Think of like this. Would you rather have King play 45+ plays in the bowl game and be more ready to start and play well in 2022 knowing that he will likely not want to play more than 4 years at PSU, and then again may be able to use the saved redshirt for use during recovery from a future injury, or save the year of eligibility for a season he will never play at PSU?

Simple.

But not really, as every player has his own goals and aspirations for the length of his PSU career, and has likely shared that with the PSU coaches, and fans will never likely know what those aspirations are.

So it really isn't simple, and there are a number of ways a player and the staff may play this out. And it is different for each player in the scheme of that players goals and aspirations as well as where each player may fit in to the player rotations for this particular game.

I believe the staff will try and preserve redshirts. But if a player really want to play in this bowl game and the staff honestly believes that player can help the team perform better, then I believe the staff will agree to let that player play.
I respectfully disagree. While I agree with your first two paragraphs, I cannot fathom a coach agreeing to let a player burn a shirt in a meaningless game even if it helps the team perform better. Makes no sense at all to me but just my opinion. I guess we will find out around 4:00 next Saturday. I will be shocked to see Kobe King unless it is his 4th game. Take it to the bank that shirt will not be burned for this scrimmage.

I respectfully disagree. While I agree with your first two paragraphs, I cannot fathom a coach agreeing to let a player burn a shirt in a meaningless game even if it helps the team perform better. Makes no sense at all to me but just my opinion. I guess we will find out around 4:00 next Saturday. I will be shocked to see Kobe King unless it is his 4th game. Take it to the bank that shirt will not be burned for this scrimmage.
Yep, I must believe that the players have more say in their redshirting or not. Which I have actually heard Franklin say in the past.

We'll disagree. And I won't "take it to the bank"........

Yep, I must believe that the players have more say in their redshirting or not. Which I have actually heard Franklin say in the past.

We'll disagree. And I won't "take it to the bank"........
So let me get this straight then. You are saying King will burn the shirt for this game correct?

So let me get this straight then. You are saying King will burn the shirt for this game correct?
I'm saying it's a decision that will be made between Franklin and King. And that if Franklin tells him that if he plays he would make a significant contribution due to Smith and Brooks not playing, no one here can really predict what that decision will be.

And that that potential conversation will have meaning due to the shortage of LB's available for this game. The team has to roll with the punches and change plans on the fly at times due to roster changes.

Last edited:
I'm saying it's a decision that will be made between Franklin and King. And that if Franklin tells him that if he plays he would make a significant contribution due to Smith and Brooks not playing, no one here can really predict what that decision will be.
Fair enough, I'm simply saying that conversation will never happen for THIS bowl game.

From what the reporters saw of practice, they believe Sutherland, Luketa and Jacobs start at LB. And they also are under the impression that King and Buddin will try and keep their redshirts going.........

Interesting that they say that TCF has not been seen with the team, so they believe King starts at CB. but wasn't there pictures of TCF arriving in Tampa?

Will be interesting to see who plays.

They also believe Fashanu will start at LT. Hope he plays well and takes over the position, but Tengwall played pretty well there in the game he got extensive playing time in, so I'm betting that Tengwall finds a position and starts in 2022 regardless of how much he plays against Arkansas.

If King, Budddin and I think (so don't hold me to it) C. Holmes play in the bowl game then yes they will burn their RS.
I think another poster had it correct when he said the bowl games should not count towards your RS.
But more importantly if these players are good they are not sticking around for their final year so might as well burn it and get them up to speed for next season. JMO.

If King, Budddin and I think (so don't hold me to it) C. Holmes play in the bowl game then yes they will burn their RS.
I think another poster had it correct when he said the bowl games should not count towards your RS.
But more importantly if these players are good they are not sticking around for their final year so might as well burn it and get them up to speed for next season. JMO.
The hard part is figuring out now if they will be good enough to walk their senior year. Obviously, the Parsons type is easy but how many of us would have predicted Ellis Brooks leaving, which I still equate to Garrett Sickles leaving early. Huge mistake in my opinion.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The hard part is figuring out now if they will be good enough to walk their senior year. Obviously, the Parsons type is easy but how many of us would have predicted Ellis Brooks leaving, which I still equate to Garrett Sickles leaving early. Huge mistake in my opinion.
Wasn't this Brooks 5th year at PSU? I think many of us thought at the start he wouldn't be back but then most of us, including me, didn't anticipate the type of season he would have. And no I don't agree at all with your comparison of Sickles.

MLB King and Buddin will be at PSU 4 years, not 5. Play them if you have to. What the new bowl outlook means is that people, rightfully so, are out for themselves. Therefore PSU needs to do what is best for them as far as playing.
My concern is again development that Elsdon and Katshir can’t be counted on to see significant playing time.
I also still wish Fisher was a MLB.

How many Arkansas kids have opted out? I haven't heard a thing about that.

I'm OK with these kids opting out as long as they shut everything down and don't play in the Senior Bowl if invited. I can see kids not wanting to get injured in a meaningless bowl game just don't go and play in another meaningless game.
senior bowl is more like the draft combine than a bowl game. Its a place to get extended evaluation by pro coaches and scouting staff. while the player goes through "real" drills. Lots of guys do the work outs bt don't play the game as well.

Reactions: bison13
Wasn't this Brooks 5th year at PSU? I think many of us thought at the start he wouldn't be back but then most of us, including me, didn't anticipate the type of season he would have. And no I don't agree at all with your comparison of Sickles.
BBrown, you are correct on year five for Brooks, I guess my surprise was that he chose not to play. I don't see him being drafted but a free agent. Hope he makes it, thought he had a really good year but he's not an NFL LB. I thought Lamont Wade made the same mistake Sickles did. I said he would be a free agent for a bout a week and I think he was. Not sure if much would have changed if he came back but I thought he made a mistake. The kids that go in the first two rounds I don't blame at all.

BBrown, you are correct on year five for Brooks, I guess my surprise was that he chose not to play. I don't see him being drafted but a free agent. Hope he makes it, thought he had a really good year but he's not an NFL LB. I thought Lamont Wade made the same mistake Sickles did. I said he would be a free agent for a bout a week and I think he was. Not sure if much would have changed if he came back but I thought he made a mistake. The kids that go in the first two rounds I don't blame at all.
I wasn't surprised. His hand has been in a cast for at least the last 3 games and he re-injured it in the MSU game.
I guess I like Brooks a little more than you. I think he will be drafted.

All of the opt outs are just the way it is now. Every team that isn't in the playoffs is being affected by it - especially teams with a ton of NFL talent. Basically, the non-Playoff bowls have become a 2nd rate backup for the Playoffs. Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

That's why I think you'll see a big push to expand the Playoffs which will include more Bowls in the main event. The Rose Bowl - the grandaddy of them all - has no importance this year. 20 years ago, the Rose was the ultimate goal of every Big Ten and PAC team. Welcome to CF - 2021 version

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Yep, I'm hoping that both King and Buddin play, and start. But I don't see that happening based on reports that Sutherland likely starts at Sam along with Luketa at Mike.

The other positive for them playing, along with getting more experience going into Spring practice and prep for 2022 is that saving the redshirt can come in handy in the future. Mustipher didn't redshirt and ended up getting hurt as a Senior, his 4th year. With the Covid year Mustipher obviously can come back if he chooses to, and he might not have qualified for a redshirt as he played in 5+ games. But if a player gets hurt going into his senior season or early in his senior season (any season really, but more important for senior year for a player trying to get to NFL), he can come back and prove to the NFL teams that he is an NFL player by playing in his 5th season.

Hopefully, I'm wrong, but with all the opt-outs, my confidence in winning this game has dropped to near zero.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If they were going to "opt out," I wish they would have announced earlier -- not four days before the game.

Thanks for quitting on your school, fellas. Really left the team in a great place!

Contrary to the popular BS narrative, these kids get FAR MORE from the schools than the schools get from them. The school gets a player. These kids get free schooling, room and board, training, coaching, and exposure that allows them to possibly make the next level in football. Without that, they have no chance. And then they back out on their commitment and quit on their team. F that.

There was a time where I thought Penn State was above this. Not anymore.
Ummm, do you know how much revenue the PSU football team generates in a single season?

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
With that line of thinking why wouldn't they have played all year?
Somebody explain to me when college football changed from getting an education and making a good life for yourself turned into a multi million dollar business and people who have no interest in education are making out from it. Is this contributing to the dumbing down of America?

Brisker, Brooks & Smith definitely opted out.

Other probable opt outs: Ebeketie & Tangelo (?)

Personally, I would want to leave Leuketa @ DE in this scenario and let the younger guys play LBer.

So will DL be?
DEs: Tarburton & Leuketa (sub Fisher)
DTs: Izzard & Ellies (subs Hansard & Vanover)

If Dotson opts out & the offense struggles, this game could get very ugly unless somehow the defense can contain Arkansas's very mobile QB and the RBs and get some turnovers.
People spent $thousands to go see a New Years bowl game but instead they're going to see a Blue White game without the new freshmen.

Last edited:
They never were, it was all an illusion. You really think our guys are somehow all high character while the others aren't ?
It was always bs.
All is a big word/claim....but many of our players were in fact guys with character...many of whom attended classes that I took. My Accounting class had 6 or 7 players...I sat next to Matt Johnson who did well for himself in Finance. Eddie Johnson and Brennan Gartner (Safety...-10 spelling) were others there. Every class. Real students. I remember Todd Moules was always in the Library in the same section a few rooms to the left in Pattee. One of my roommates took Ag classes with Rich Kuzy...guy was a legit student.
We had creeps too...but in any sample of 100 people you will find outliers. I remember being drilled by some Notre Dame Subway Alum about our guys redshirting and majoring in things like Parks&Rec or some other less haughty major....my argument was that we are a state school offering many courses of study...how many of their guys really deserved to get in...and are they held to the same standards as their peers?
It's all pretty moot at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT