ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

So is this 72 hour test thing going to be enforced? Was hoping to get up to PA from MD but wondering how strict this could possibly be.
Seems impossible to enforce. I travel out of state daily and I don’t intend to quarantine. I am going to AZ over Thanksgiving and I don’t intend to quarantine. Maybe I will get a surprise and find out they can enforce it but I don’t see how.
I will get my son tested so he can return to school (school requires tests every 2 weeks anyway)

With all due respect “i was misunderstood” with a direct quote like that on one of the most important issues that they had been studying for 6 months is preposterous. She got slapped down because it was politically incorrect.
School spread hasn’t happened anywhere in the US this year and didn’t happen In Europe even at height of the pandemic in Spring. Spread from students to teachers or students to parents hasn’t happened.
Read her quotes from June 9th. She explains herself. Perhaps the article you saw from "September" left a few facts out. Trusting an article summary that gets posted 3 months after the fact....and believing that version.....while speculating that she was "Slapped down" with absolutely no proof seems more in the arena of preposterous.

keeping up with the JMU outbreaks and it looks like they are doing fine if not really good. Something to be said for that?

School spread hasn’t happened anywhere in the US this year and didn’t happen In Europe even at height of the pandemic in Spring. Spread from students to teachers or students to parents hasn’t happened.

This is a joke right? It may not be happening en masse but it’s definitely happening.

Here’s one from today:

As far as 1,000,000 cases per day and 10,000 deaths per day, I sincerely doubt that is going to happen.

First of all, we're only running about 1.3 million tests per day, so 1 MM positives would be a 77% positivity rate. Since the inception, we're at 6.8%, and in the last couple of weeks, we're at 12.7%. To think we're all of a sudden going to jump to 77% is not reasonable.

Yes, the graph of new cases looks scary, but the increase in the 7-day moving average has slowed over the last few days, and getting to 1 MM also relies on the virus getting to fresh bodies. Considering that testing was lacking early on, more people than we know have had it, so likely have immunity.

Also, the whole entire world isn't even having 1 MM cases and 10 K deaths per day. Why would we expect to get there?

I don’t think the world’s 7 day average has hit 10k yet, but it has had several days recently that have (highest since the start of the pandemic.

I am hopeful we hit a plateau soon though, but even if it’s already started, deaths do tend to lag cases so we could realistically hit a 7 day average of about 2k deaths per day.

“That is further supported by the fact that we have not learned of any school-to-school or team-to-team spread of the virus through athletics,” Lombardi said. “We are not aware of any, and our Sport Medicine people, who have done extensive research and some of them not only are writing their policies for their health systems are not aware of any or have any research of such. So that’s why that consensus statement was made.”

Two wrestling related developments: 1) The PSAC cancelled winter season meets and championships. 2) The newly appointed head of the quasi merger of Edinboro, Clarion and California has set a goal of reducing student costs by 25%.

At this point I think I’ve decided to root for the virus. That’s one relentless son of a bitch. o_O
I got my positive test result yesterday. Had to go to Chicago for one freaking day to look at some inspection equipment...fml. I get freed from isolation just in time for Thanksgiving. I'm feeling fine, so don't worry about that. My big question is; does this qualify me to be able to use my Olympic Trials tickets since I've already recovered from the virus???🙏🙏🙏
giphy.gif

Ahh, Olympic Trials tickets. I remember feeling so happy when I secured mine, I was down in DE for a few days and got them over my phone while shopping with the wife. Good times...

I wonder if we will ever get to use them.

I got my positive test result yesterday. Had to go to Chicago for one freaking day to look at some inspection equipment...fml. I get freed from isolation just in time for Thanksgiving. I'm feeling fine, so don't worry about that. My big question is; does this qualify me to be able to use my Olympic Trials tickets since I've already recovered from the virus???🙏🙏🙏
giphy.gif
Sorry to hear that you caught the virus. It sounds as though your doing good and hopefully continue that way. What this does mean is that with your 2 weeks of isolation you GIF game should go from National Champion caliber to Olympic Champion caliber. I think I speak for the board and we expect nothing less. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PASLP2
giphy.gif
Wait -- the Rona Destroyer didn't protect you? Sounds like you should sue Chicago.

Virus_Outbreak_Chicago_Halloween_72830.jpg-09069_c0-208-4981-3112_s885x516.jpg

Reactions: 82bordeaux
giphy.gif

I red somewhere that wine eases even the most severe symptoms. Hopefully you have some left.

Ahh, Olympic Trials tickets. I remember feeling so happy when I secured mine, I was down in DE for a few days and got them over my phone while shopping with the wife. Good times...

I wonder if we will ever get to use them.
I have 8 lower level seats. I'm hoping that this is a spike and not a plateau. I'm literally in the second row...theoretically.

Covid requires something a little more potent to kill it. Since I hate the taste of bleach, I'm going with bourbon and scotch.
Since covid is supposed to kill the sense of taste, you should go with everclear.;)
Seriously, I hope you get over this without any major problems.

Covid requires something a little more potent to kill it. Since I hate the taste of bleach, I'm going with bourbon and scotch.
I hope all goes well for you. Just read a report that said Melatonin helps with symptoms. Not big sample and not peer reviewed but Melatonin isn't going to hurt you. Best of luck

I don’t think the world’s 7 day average has hit 10k yet, but it has had several days recently that have (highest since the start of the pandemic.

I am hopeful we hit a plateau soon though, but even if it’s already started, deaths do tend to lag cases so we could realistically hit a 7 day average of about 2k deaths per day.

Doubling time is measured by the equation 70/growth rate. The latest 7 day moving average of new cases is up over 30% from a week before and over 90% from two weeks ago. The 65% growth has tailed off a bit.

But even a 35% weekly increase means basically doubling every two weeks; quadrupling in a little over a month and reaching 8 times current levels by the end of January. And even before the recent/current alarming spike, we were cruising along at a 25% rate of increase. Deaths are not a linear result from infection. Deaths skyrocket once hospitals pass their capacities. Many hospitals are already at capacity in all parts of the country.

giphy.gif

Bordeaux, you know I love you but until you post the lab results, I wondering if this a ploy to get votes for the Best Poster thread. 😉

If anyone could find the exact right mix of bleach, bourbon and scotch to take on this thing Dave, I knew it would be you.🥃

Until last Thursday I knew noone personally who had it. Within 20 minutes I heard from a former employee and then a college best friend who has it.

Both were fighting it at their homes but the college friend who was struggling at day 5 really started to struggle even more. He is now hospitalized with double pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung.

I'm careful but this will keep me more focused on my basement hiding.

Good luck Dave, keep us updated.

This is a joke right? It may not be happening en masse but it’s definitely happening.

Here’s one from today:
Well, you had better tell the Governors of PA/NY/NJ/DE who issued a statement today who declared that schools are safe. Yes, Cuomo, Murphy, and even our own Herr Wolf said they are safe. So no, it isn't a f***ing joke. Our kids are losing their damn education for a virus that even the most lockdown Govs east of the Mississippi say doesn't spread through schools.

The EXACT words... not from Trump, not from an idiot on a posting board, not from someone in Florida or Texas or Sweden who you can dismiss as playing politics or wanting to kill kids or whatever else:

"Medical research as well as the data from Northeastern States, from across the country, and around the world, make it clear that in person learning is safe when the appropriate protections are in place, even in communities with high transmission rates...."

freakin UNICEF today issued a study from over 100 countries that demonstrated schools were safe. I think it was 168 countries! UNICEF!

can you find an exception? Sure. I can also find a 100 year old chain smoker. But punishing kids for a virus that isn’t dangerous to them, doesn’t spread through schools to adults in danger, doesn’t spread from students to teachers is a damn war crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: psualt and Lyons212
Bordeaux, you know I love you but until you post the lab results, I wondering if this a ploy to get votes for the Best Poster thread. 😉

If anyone could find the exact right mix of bleach, bourbon and scotch to take on this thing Dave, I knew it would be you.🥃

Until last Thursday I knew noone personally who had it. Within 20 minutes I heard from a former employee and then a college best friend who has it.

Both were fighting it at their homes but the college friend who was struggling at day 5 really started to struggle even more. He is now hospitalized with double pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung.

I'm careful but this will keep me more focused on my basement hiding.

Good luck Dave, keep us updated.

Looks like I get the Lysol Old Fashioned!

Well, you had better tell the Governors of PA/NY/NJ/DE who issued a statement today who declared that schools are safe. Yes, Cuomo, Murphy, and even our own Herr Wolf said they are safe. So no, it isn't a f***ing joke. Our kids are losing their damn education for a virus that even the most lockdown Govs east of the Mississippi say doesn't spread through schools.

The EXACT words... not from Trump, not from an idiot on a posting board, not from someone in Florida or Texas or Sweden who you can dismiss as playing politics or wanting to kill kids or whatever else:

"Medical research as well as the data from Northeastern States, from across the country, and around the world, make it clear that in person learning is safe when the appropriate protections are in place, even in communities with high transmission rates...."

freakin UNICEF today issued a study from over 100 countries that demonstrated schools were safe. I think it was 168 countries! UNICEF!

can you find an exception? Sure. I can also find a 100 year old chain smoker. But punishing kids for a virus that isn’t dangerous to them, doesn’t spread through schools to adults in danger, doesn’t spread from students to teachers is a damn war crime.
from an idiot on a posting board

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Looks like I get the Lysol Old Fashioned!
Hang in there. One of employees (late 50s) got it and only felt worn down for 2 weeks and her husband didn't even know he had it!). Still don't understand how my son didn't get it living with two frat guys who did have it. Don't even think that he was taking precautions...

But even a 35% weekly increase means basically doubling every two weeks; quadrupling in a little over a month and reaching 8 times current levels by the end of January. And even before the recent/current alarming spike, we were cruising along at a 25% rate of increase. Deaths are not a linear result from infection. Deaths skyrocket once hospitals pass their capacities. Many hospitals are already at capacity in all parts of the country.

I don’t know the specifics of “all parts of the country,” but I’m not sure this is true. I think I’ve mostly just seen it happening in the Midwest so far.

Well calling it “safe when appropriate protections are in place” and saying “it doesn’t spread” in schools are two entirely different things IMO.

I do think schools should remain open, but it’s definitely spreading there. In fact I was surprised when you claimed it didn’t when earlier you commented about “the demographics of those being infected now,” which would seemingly be an admission that some of them are getting it from school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT