ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

Article was retracted a day later. But, hey, I'm sure Newsmax missed the retraction so I totally understand.😀

That just created more attention to it, because CENSORSHIP! Nevermind that both the article and webinar are currently readily available.

The author of the “study” gave a half-hearted attempt at standing by her findings. The student author of the article gave a more thought out response, and based on her LinkedIn post has been receptive to criticism of the webinar’s conclusions.

Reactions: dicemen99
Article was retracted a day later. But, hey, I'm sure Newsmax missed the retraction so I totally understand.😀
Yes, it was taken down, however, JHU .... To my knowledge never refuted the findings as false. I believe JHU may have thought that the article took away from severity of the virus. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Lyons212
On the 12th my quarantine will be done. All my symptoms have now passed except taste and smell haven't come back. I was told by the nurse that gave us our test results that it could take months for them to return to normal.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Good luck!

On the 12th my quarantine will be done. All my symptoms have now passed except taste and smell haven't come back. I was told by the nurse that gave us our test results that it could take months for them to return to normal.

Reactions: Creek Side
Can you tell us how enjoyable alcoholic beverages are when you can’t taste? #scienceexperiment

Can you tell us how enjoyable alcoholic beverages are when you can’t taste? #scienceexperiment

one football saturday i stopped at dunkin donuts for a coffee and took a sip leaving the store when the temperature was still about 3000 degrees. burned my entire tongue, couldn't taste anything. i decided that was the perfect night to drink steel reserve like water. i remember the start of the party, but i have absolutely zero recollection of how it ended.

one football saturday i stopped at dunkin donuts for a coffee and took a sip leaving the store when the temperature was still about 3000 degrees. burned my entire tongue, couldn't taste anything. i decided that was the perfect night to drink steel reserve like water. i remember the start of the party, but i have absolutely zero recollection of how it ended.
8.1%.......that is why they don't serve it in bars. I call it my sleeping pill. It works as intended. Am I the only person that is fine with the taste? :)
Oh......if you are interested in a very different taste and an even stronger 9%...try Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA. It will also get you there in a hurry at 2.5X the price :)

Last edited:
Dana White is just saying what half the country thinks ...

"Why should anyone listen to the media? Who are these people? What makes them experts? What have they ever accomplished? They criticize me for even trying to find a way forward. It's easy to criticize from the sideline when you risk nothing and do nothing."

"i didn't do this so i could make more money. i have plenty of money. i did this so my fighters could make money, and my employees could continue to make a living and feed their families."

you know, dana, if you really have that much money, you could just GIVE those people YOUR money rather than forcing them to take unnecessary risks with their health.

i also love how he said "the media are not in the news business, they're in the clickbait business." just minutes after touting how many clicks his social media posts got.

"i didn't do this so i could make more money. i have plenty of money. i did this so my fighters could make money, and my employees could continue to make a living and feed their families."

you know, dana, if you really have that much money, you could just GIVE those people YOUR money rather than forcing them to take unnecessary risks with their health.

i also love how he said "the media are not in the news business, they're in the clickbait business." just minutes after touting how many clicks his social media posts got.
I’m not in the business of giving my money away either. His comment about the clickbait media is spot on. You sound like the people he’s talking about.

If something is false, a civilized and educated society would provide evidence to refute and encourage discussion to fully understand the subject. A tyranny that is trying to manipulate the people and control them would censor it or "take it down".

Reactions: midniteride
I’m not in the business of giving my money away either. His comment about the clickbait media is spot on. You sound like the people he’s talking about.

i'd wager you're not the president of a multi-billion dollar corporation with a net worth north of $500M, so you're not really a good comparison for dana white. he could have personally given 1,000 of his employees 50K and still have 90% of his fortune left over. instead he chose to make himself wealthier.

i'd wager you're not the president of a multi-billion dollar corporation with a net worth north of $500M, so you're not really a good comparison for dana white. he could have personally given 1,000 of his employees 50K and still have 90% of his fortune left over. instead he chose to make himself wealthier.
Or he can find a way to let his employees work and support themselves, which he did and it has worked virtually flawless. Its kind of like what our very own Cael Sanderson is doing with the Rokfin events.

Or he can find a way to let his employees work and support themselves, which he did and it has worked virtually flawless. Its kind of like what our very own Cael Sanderson is doing with the Rokfin events.

another person who is not the president of a multi-billion dollar corporation with a net worth north of $500M. anyone else you want to make false equivalences to?

If something is false, a civilized and educated society would provide evidence to refute and encourage discussion to fully understand the subject. A tyranny that is trying to manipulate the people and control them would censor it or "take it down".
That is a cool hypothesis to think about!

Twenty years ago in the US it seemed truer than it does today. Today we in the US are re-learning what the Rwandans and Jews learned, that fake news and incitement have a power that counter-arguments cannot easily stop. The post-WW2 Germans knew of human susceptibility to repeated lies, and so they decided to pay the cost to free speech of having anti-hate-speech laws.

Actually, we in the US already knew of the power of lies, and so we have truth-in-advertising laws and so we have securities laws, to regulate markets. Only now are many of us re-realizing that democracy is a market of ideas, and we are noticing that lies amplified by technology are hurting democracy worse than democracy’s been hurt in at least a hundred years.

Last edited:

1. Dana White is a smart guy and a great promoter of his sport and a greater promoter of himself.
2. If you think he didn't do this to make money.....you are really gullible.
3. Dana White doesn't overpay his fighters.
4. Yes....his fighters got a paycheck as well as his other employees.
5. Yes.....it wasn't perfect. Fighters got Covid-19 as well as trainers, managers and others.
6. That said...White deserves much credit for trying to keep his business model running and staying relevant during difficult economic times.
7. How well has he done? To quote a golf announcer describing a Tiger Woods putt........"Better Than Most"

You are correct. Damn rich people should give us all a stipend instead of working through something that is manageable 🤮

now you're putting words in my mouth. i merely pointed out the hypocrisy of dana white claiming he doesn't need more money while simultaneously putting his employees at risk in order to make more money.

but to your gross generalization, yes, if the uber rich paid more than $750 per year in federal tax, maybe the government would be able to provide food and housing to its citizens in need.

Reactions: midniteride
now you're putting words in my mouth. i merely pointed out the hypocrisy of dana white claiming he doesn't need more money while simultaneously putting his employees at risk in order to make more money.

but to your gross generalization, yes, if the uber rich paid more than $750 per year in federal tax, maybe the government would be able to provide food and housing to its citizens in need.
Have a good night. Enjoy the wrestling on Rokfin.

It hasn't lol

If I were even 1/100th as wealthy and important as Dana, and people came for me like they did him last spring, I probably would've held a parade to tell everyone that ran their mouth to kick rocks.

I don’t follow the UFC that closely...did many people really “come for him”? Especially after like the first fight post-covid? I know he did get some criticism leading up to the first one, but don’t recall much after that.

Just when you think the fire is out...
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I just noticed this watching videos but does Tom Brands put air quotes around the word pandemic at the 7:00 mark of his media interview. That is hilarious if he meant to do that.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Mods, any chance this thread can be pinned under the Sticky threads to help remind those of its presence?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT