ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Champs and Playoff

How does it prove they're not worthy of a playoff birth? The NCAA committee clearly disagrees. All other sports (college and pros) have proven that teams that haven't won their conference are more than capable of winning a title. If we were 11-1 this year you'd be saying something very different. And, if you wouldn't be, then you'd be an idiot. If we beat Michigan State this year we'd have been 4 or 5--should be 4 based on resume...probably 5 because Bama is Bama
I don't give a damn if the Committee or YOU disagree. If you don't win your conference championship, that shows you weren't good enough to win your conference. If you're not good enough to win your conference, then you don't deserve a shot at the national championship when only 4 teams are allowed in. You've already eliminated yourself, because someone in your own freakin' conference bested you. I know basic logic is tough for you, but do you get it now?

I don't give a damn if the Committee or YOU disagree. If you don't win your conference championship, that shows you weren't good enough to win your conference. If you're not good enough to win your conference, then you don't deserve a shot at the national championship when only 4 teams are allowed in. You've already eliminated yourself, because someone in your own freakin' conference bested you. I know basic logic is tough for you, but do you get it now?

So, Alabama has no chance in the playoffs then, right?

The lower levels of football don't compare to the wear and tear at the P5 level. They don't have the travel nor do they take the hits. It's apples and oranges.
exactly why if you go to 8 teams, you can't take a team like UCF. What if they get lucky and win 2 or 3 games after not facing the onslaught of a P5 schedule, taking injuries, having to get up for game after game, etc.

You can't just say 8 teams, you have to win your conference championship, etc. This isn't the pros. Not all conferences and divisions are the same in any given year. If we really need to have 8 teams, I'd sooner go back to the polls and take the top 8.

Joel Klatt has the best argument that needs to be repeated. There needs to be a prerequisite to get into the CFP and that is to win your conference championship.

It doesn't make sense to allow a team into the CFP if they have already proved, without a doubt, not to be the best team in their own conference. We have the CFP to remove doubt across conferences.

I am not sure why Mr. Klatt's idea isn't getting more traction. He also brings up a good point that we may as well not even keep score with the system we have now (just send in your film at the end of the year and let the committee decide who is the best 4 teams).

Also, teams will still need to schedule a strong OOC schedule with his proposal so the committee can determine who the top 4 conference champions are. The only exception would be an independent team and they would still have to wind up in the top 4 to get in.

The problem is their mandate is to put the four 'best' teams into the playoff, not the most 'deserving' - and winning your conference championship doesn't necessarily mean you're one of the four best teams. I do agree with you and Mr. Klatt though - the conference championships should mean something and be the most basic criteria to be considered for a playoff spot.

Reactions: jjsocrates
Joel Klatt has the best argument that needs to be repeated. There needs to be a prerequisite to get into the CFP and that is to win your conference championship.

It doesn't make sense to allow a team into the CFP if they have already proved, without a doubt, not to be the best team in their own conference. We have the CFP to remove doubt across conferences.

I am not sure why Mr. Klatt's idea isn't getting more traction. He also brings up a good point that we may as well not even keep score with the system we have now (just send in your film at the end of the year and let the committee decide who is the best 4 teams).

Also, teams will still need to schedule a strong OOC schedule with his proposal so the committee can determine who the top 4 conference champions are. The only exception would be an independent team and they would still have to wind up in the top 4 to get in.
Just put in top 8. Don’t care if they are champs. Most likely with 8 all power 5 represented.

They do because they're in. However, they shouldn't be in. If Penn State was in, they'd have a chance too. So would Auburn. But as usual, you totally don't get the point.

No, I get your point. I just think it's idiotic because as you acknowledge teams that didn't win their conference CAN indeed win the title and therefore should be eligible to compete for it which is why we need a large playoff.

No, I get your point. I just think it's idiotic because as you acknowledge teams that didn't win their conference CAN indeed win the title and therefore should be eligible to compete for it which is why we need a large playoff.
No, what's idiotic is making the conference championship unimportant by saying if you don't win your own damn conference, you should still get a shot at the national title. They've already eliminated themselves.

No, what's idiotic is making the conference championship unimportant by saying if you don't win your own damn conference, you should still get a shot at the national title. They've already eliminated themselves.

Since when? That has never been the case--even before the playoff
Alabama never lost to the SEC champ--who says they aren't better than Georgia--they never played

What looks test? Ohio State and Penn State did not have the same record nor did we play the same schedule. We won by 3 at home. Ranking have NEVER been about H2H. We see teams ranked ahead of teams they beat all the time. Us beating Ohio State by 3 at home doesn't mean we're better. See what Georgia did to Auburn the second time they played. An 11-1 Ohio State with their only loss being to a top 5 Penn State team will always get in over an 11-2 Penn State team with a bad loss at Pitt and a blowout loss against Michigan...especially when Ohio State beat Oklahoma on the road. Switch Penn State and Ohio State and Penn State gets in. It is about the resume. Ohio State was significantly ahead of us last year hence the tiebreakers were never activated. I don't understand why people still don't grasp this. If we beat Pitt we're in at 12-1. Washington would have probably been left out. Washington should have been left out anyway. That's where the outrage should be.[/QUOTE
Go suck a buck nut, buckie!!!!

Since when? That has never been the case--even before the playoff
Alabama never lost to the SEC champ--who says they aren't better than Georgia--they never played
Oh, so now your support is the way it's been done historically. That's a joke if there ever was one. Bama didn't play Georgia 'cause they couldn't beat Auburn. Case closed.

Oh, so now your support is the way it's been done historically. That's a joke if there ever was one. Bama didn't play Georgia 'cause they couldn't beat Auburn. Case closed.

Again--since when is winning a title a requirement? Again--it has never been one.
I have no doubt that if we had beat Michigan State this year you'd say that we should be the 4 seed--no doubt--and I'd agree with you

Again--since when is winning a title a requirement? Again--it has never been one.
I have no doubt that if we had beat Michigan State this year you'd say that we should be the 4 seed--no doubt--and I'd agree with you
You've been bested. Just like Bama. Give it up.

Might as well go back to the polls with your way of thinking.

Reactions: Howie'81
The discussion is the way it should be, not way it has been.

With a four team playoff a conference title means nothing and that's how it has to be because 2 (or even 3) of the top 4 can absolutely be in the same conference. 2 of the top 4 were in the Big Ten last year and the SEC this year.

How it should be is simple but none of you want that because everyone wants every game to have so much meaning--unless of course we lose then it should be overlooked

We never really left that. Read the objective of the committee
But that's not what it was supposed to be when it started. They've just turned it into that because they can't think beyond what they've been trained to think.

With a four team playoff a conference title means nothing and that's how it has to be because 2 (or even 3) of the top 4 can absolutely be in the same conference. 2 of the top 4 were in the Big Ten last year and the SEC this year.

How it should be is simple but none of you want that because everyone wants every game to have so much meaning--unless of course we lose then it should be overlooked
But determining that two of the best teams are in the same conference is purely subjective. Pick the four best conferences then take the champion of each of those conferences. Is it perfect? No, but what we have now certainly isn't perfect and a team would at least have to earn their way in.

But determining that two of the best teams are in the same conference is purely subjective. Pick the four best conferences then take the champion of each of those conferences. Is it perfect? No, but what we have now certainly isn't perfect and a team would at least have to earn their way in.

How the hell do you determine the best 4?
Georgia dodged Bama all year--how is that earning it?
This would be fine if we only had 4 conferences of 10 or 12 were you played everyone but FBS doesn't work for this with 4 teams.
"Earning you way" is also purely subjective. You believe it requires a conference title. I think that's a joke. I'm not impressed with Clemson winning the ACC. That win over Auburn had more meaning than anything they did in conference. Just like Oklahoma beating OSU was more impressive than winning the Big XII. You're eliminating the value of playing real teams non-conference.

Want to be one of the CFP 4? Don't lose 2 games. If you do, you better have done something exceptional to be considered ahead of 0/1 loss teams.

Very simple concept that many here just do not comprehend.

How the hell do you determine the best 4?
Georgia dodged Bama all year--how is that earning it?
This would be fine if we only had 4 conferences of 10 or 12 were you played everyone but FBS doesn't work for this with 4 teams.
"Earning you way" is also purely subjective. You believe it requires a conference title. I think that's a joke. I'm not impressed with Clemson winning the ACC. That win over Auburn had more meaning than anything they did in conference. Just like Oklahoma beating OSU was more impressive than winning the Big XII. You're eliminating the value of playing real teams non-conference.
The problem with playing "real" teams OOC is you don't know what they will be like when you schedule them....just like Bama playing FSU. Earning your way in is not subjective because you at least have to accomplish something. Bama accomplished nothing.

The problem with playing "real" teams OOC is you don't know what they will be like when you schedule them....just like Bama playing FSU. Earning your way in is not subjective because you at least have to accomplish something. Bama accomplished nothing.

That's completely subjective. Alabama, IMO, accomplished more than multiple conference winners. You're saying they had to run the table to accomplish something since they only lost once. That's subjective.

Bama still gets credit for attempting to schedule a team with a pulse unlike our scheduling. We at least tried with Auburn and Va Tech moving forward but Pitt & WVU as our "big non-conf game" is a joke

That's completely subjective. Alabama, IMO, accomplished more than multiple conference winners. You're saying they had to run the table to accomplish something since they only lost once. That's subjective.

Bama still gets credit for attempting to schedule a team with a pulse unlike our scheduling. We at least tried with Auburn and Va Tech moving forward but Pitt & WVU as our "big non-conf game" is a joke
Winning a title is not subjective. Bama accomplished nothing concrete...show me their trophy or ring.

Reactions: nittnee
Winning a title is not subjective. Bama accomplished nothing concrete...show me their trophy or ring.

If they played in the Big Ten they'd probably have about 5 trophies for winning conference games. You can keep pretending that 11-2 USC is more deserving than 11-1 Bama but as ridiculous you are you're not that dumb. If you actually say that's true then you're just blindly defending a point you made despite the fact you know it can't be supported.

You're telling me that you said that Ohio State should go over Bama? All along?

I don't believe any team in a playoff should play at home. It's too big of an advantage. The bigger schools with the better alumni/fan following already have an advantage, as do the teams in the south where undoubtedly some of the games will reside....

The goal should be a fair playoff with no advantage to any of the teams, in order to crown a truly deserving actual champion. Neutral fields are a necessity to accomplish that goal. And the real money is TV money, as NCAA BBall has shown.
I disagree. Home field advantage should be a reward and put value on the regular season. Reward teams for having a solid regular season.

If they played in the Big Ten they'd probably have about 5 trophies for winning conference games. You can keep pretending that 11-2 USC is more deserving than 11-1 Bama but as ridiculous you are you're not that dumb. If you actually say that's true then you're just blindly defending a point you made despite the fact you know it can't be supported.

You're telling me that you said that Ohio State should go over Bama? All along?
I've said that it's an imperfect system and as long as they're going to only have four teams, the teams should have to earn their way in by winning something. Where did I say USC deserved to be in? I said take the four best conferences in a given year (this year the PAC 12 would be left out) and put the conference champions in. At least everyone would know the rules and know what they would have to do first to get in. It's better than what we have now.

I've said that it's an imperfect system and as long as they're going to only have four teams, the teams should have to earn their way in by winning something. Where did I say USC deserved to be in? I said take the four best conferences in a given year (this year the PAC 12 would be left out) and put the conference champions in. At least everyone would know the rules and know what they would have to do first to get in. It's better than what we have now.

You said winning a conference is meaningful and more impressive than Bama so USC is better

Again...you always said Ohio State should be in over Alabama right?

Bullshit. We beat them head to head and won the conference. That should always trump the looks test.

PSU should got in over Washington not OSU considering that Cream puff schedule they played last year. Wash best wins were against 3 loss Stanford and 4 loss Colorado last year. Rest of the their wins were against bad teams. PSU beat 2 top 10 teams and was on a nine game winning steak.
Obviously the committee doesn’t care about anything other then amount of wins and losses teams have. It’s been the only criteria used so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 78SweetRevenge
I don't think PSU would have gotten into an 8 team playoff this year, but it's still the best way to go.

I respectfully disagree.

I doubt very highly that a 3 loss Auburn team would have been taken over PSU especially with 2 SEC teams already in. I am an OSU fan but that doesn't cloud my thinking that PSU would have gotten in and deservedly so.

You said winning a conference is meaningful and more impressive than Bama so USC is better

Again...you always said Ohio State should be in over Alabama right?
Nope, I said based on the precedent they set last year, then OSU should not have gotten in....in fact, I said Wiscy should have gotten in over OSU because of what the criteria used last year. I just wanted to see consistency. But they were wrong last year and they were wrong again this year.

exactly why if you go to 8 teams, you can't take a team like UCF. What if they get lucky and win 2 or 3 games after not facing the onslaught of a P5 schedule, taking injuries, having to get up for game after game, etc.

You can't just say 8 teams, you have to win your conference championship, etc. This isn't the pros. Not all conferences and divisions are the same in any given year. If we really need to have 8 teams, I'd sooner go back to the polls and take the top 8.

What's wrong with UCF winning it all?

Why not give the "underdogs" a chance, and add a little excitement to the proceedings? If we're going to limit this to a few select programs, from a few select conferences, then let them all eat cake, amirite?

Any system where a bunch of teams in the same division are basically excluded from playoff contention before the season starts isn't a system at all.

Form another Division in the NCAA if that's your play ... name it "The Thuper Awethomest Greatest Bestest Teams That You Can't Never Not Be ... And Stuff" Division. If you're going to be "DI" or "FBS," play according to the same rules as all the other teams in that division. If your conference is too hard, tough titty.

Reactions: green2623
What's wrong with UCF winning it all?

Why not give the "underdogs" a chance, and add a little excitement to the proceedings? If we're going to limit this to a few select programs, from a few select conferences, then let them all eat cake, amirite?

Any system where a bunch of teams in the same division are basically excluded from playoff contention before the season starts isn't a system at all.

Form another Division in the NCAA if that's your play ... name it "The Thuper Awethomest Greatest Bestest Teams That You Can't Never Not Be ... And Stuff" Division. If you're going to be "DI" or "FBS," play according to the same rules as all the other teams in that division. If your conference is too hard, tough titty.
UCF is not an FBS school....that's the problem.

Nope, I said based on the precedent they set last year, then OSU should not have gotten in....in fact, I said Wiscy should have gotten in over OSU because of what the criteria used last year. I just wanted to see consistency. But they were wrong last year and they were wrong again this year.

You got consistency yet your still upset...smh

UCF is an FBS school. Not a P5 but FBS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT