ADVERTISEMENT

Concordville, PA?

PSULBU

Jul 18, 2001
Looking for feedback on this town, schools, weather, etc. I know someone that may relocate there for work and they have two young kids. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

excellent area ...

Concordville is part of the Garnet Valley School District. They are a very good district. Unionville-Chadds Ford School District, which is to the South/Southwest of Concordville, is a better school district, but Garnet Valley is one of a number of strong districts in the Philadelphia suburbs.

The area went through a huge building boom in the 90s. Basically, it was mostly farm land until then, as there was a building moratorium in place for a long stretch until a sewage treatment plant was built. Once that was online the moratorium ended, and an endless number of developments appeared in a 5-10 year period.

Weather is typical for SE Pennsylvania. Some cold spells in the winter, but not quite as cold as other parts of the Commonwealth. In the summer, it's pretty nice, though there are usually a few stretches of heat and high humidity.

There's not really a downtown for Concordville, so if your friends are looking for a more urban area you might suggest that they look in West Chester, Media, or Kennett Square.

Traffic is pretty good, though Route 1 (US-1), which is the main road through the region can get backed up a bit, especially during rush hour. Concordville is not far from the intersection of US-1 and US-202, which can get rather messy at rush hour. PA 322 comes in on an angle near that intersection. It's slated for a widening project (go from 2 lanes to 4 lanes) in the coming years, so traffic is likely to be a bit of a mess during the construction, and then a lot better after that.

I think your friends will be pleased. It's an excellent area for raising kids.

Tom

This post was edited on 3/25 10:40 AM by Tom McAndrew

Totally agree ...

I lived in Glen Mills (right next to Concordville) for 7 years. Loved it. Great school system, people, restaurants, and history (the Revolutionary War passed through this area). There are also nice cultural things to do ... Longwood gardens is close and a must see, the Wyatt museum, the Brandywine Battle Field, etc. Also, not far from tax FREE shopping in Delaware. I'd give it a very strong recommendation.

Take a look at the nearby West Chester area

Great Schools, and the lowest school taxes in the area.

I want to thank ALL of you for the information! It is greatly appreciated. I will pass this on.

Great area..I'm in Chadds Ford (CF) just west of Concordville...

... as others have said, wonderful area. Formerly from western PA, I've lived in this area for 25 years and love it. It is commutable to center city Philly, which I used to do, and is also close to other large employment centers such as Wilmington, DE , West Chester, King of Prussia, Malvern, etc.

Concordville proper, generally the area surrounding the intersection of routes 322 and US 1 is in the Garnet Valley district. Unionville-Chadds Ford is the neighboring district and is one of the highest rated schools in the state. If you like just a little bit more diversity, the Kennett School district just a bit west is also very good. Great Valley is just to the north. All of these school districts have top notch facilities, academics and fine athletic programs.

Kids sports are big no matter the sport -- baseball, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, football, soccer, hockey, etc. In addition to school teams there are numerous club programs for just about every sport.

Culturally, Longwood Gardens, one of the finest horitcultural gardens in the country is a few minutes away in Kennett Square. Center city Philly is 45 minutes away with some wonderful museums and historical sites. Beaches in NJ and Delaware are just a few hours away. NYC is a little over 2 hours to the north, DC is a little over 2 hours to the south. Happy Valley is 3-1/2 hours away.

I was born and raised in Newtown Square, west of Concordville, had relatives close by in Westtown, West Chester proper, Chadds Ford and Oxford, and a good college friend who lived in Concordville. You could do a helluva lot worse than Concordville, PA for all the reasons cited by Tom and others.

This post was edited on 3/25 12:45 PM by mn78psu83

If working in Concordville, he will have a lot of choices

for places to live within a 30 minute commute. You can go from more urban by heading east toward Philly. You can find a lot of suburban living as far north as Chesterbrook, Great Valley, West Chester, Downingtown. You can get more rural by heading west toward Oxford, Marlboro (horse country). There are a lot of choices with a lot of good school districts to choose from. Basically chose the type of neighborhood you like, from owning acres to higher density urban settings and everything in between. Plenty of shopping and golf courses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT