ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the negative nellies here

10-2 is good. The problem is we only played two teams with a pulse and we got embarrassed by both of them. I was thinking our big win was our hang victory against an unranked Purdue team that seemed to be improving but them Purdue just got clobbered by a very average Iowa team. The Auburn win was a nice name win for us but they will finish at the bottom of the SEC and already fired their coach. That is like getting a win against a Scott Frost Nebraska team. It is a nice name win but did you really accomplish anything? For $8M a year I expect Franklin to go toe to toe with Day and Harbaugh regularly and WIN A BOWL GAME regularly which Franklin is dismal at! Win out against the remaining slugs on our schedule and WIN OUR BOWL GAME and then maybe I will start feeling a little optimistic for next year. Although our lack of DL/OL recruiting still has me very worried for next year.
We did just shut-out a Maryland team that went to Michigan and lost 34-27 (gave UM a better game than we did).

Purdue did just go on the road and beat a ranked Illinois team.

Reactions: Online Persona
We did just shut-out a Maryland team that went to Michigan and lost 34-27 (gave UM a better game than we did).

Purdue did just go on the road and beat a ranked Illinois team.
Maryland's QB is no longer healthy
Illinois is no longer ranked and probably never should have been
It's okay to honestly assess this team. They're doing what they should be doing against lesser teams. The Purdue game wasn't great and the Michigan game was awful but other than that we've been great. Even the Ohio State game for 50 minutes

Reactions: lions1995
That’s all great, but what about the top seniors who then decide to sit it out once we get to that major bowl game? How is that fair to the fans who support the whole system?
Then the fans who want the younger players to play will get their wish. All I keep reading on here is it’s a meaningless game, so those folks should be happy.

Reactions: marshall23
That’s all great, but what about the top seniors who then decide to sit it out once we get to that major bowl game? How is that fair to the fans who support the whole system?
Football generates a hundred million plus and spends it on itself. TV revenue comes to the Big regardless of revenue which we use for all sports. Here’s the reality. Fans are less relevant at all schools. TV calls the shots, and why Ohio state was a noon. Am I disappointed. Yes. But it is what it is. College football has morphed into semi pro ball, because of the failure of the NCAA. I don;t like, but time marches on.

The team doesn't belong to the players, the team belongs to the University which is made up of students and the alumni.
You are right,so let me clarify. It is the players who decide whether they are any good in a given year.
ask the fans of Texas A&M. Same Jimbo coach. what’s the difference? Players gave up.
These kids are running gassers at six am during the summer. I root for them hard to become great men, but I am under no illusion that I’m just an old guy in a tshirt, wishing them them the best.
when they win i am ecstatic. When they lose i feel sorry for them. They owe nothing more than to do
their best and respect the University.

Football generates a hundred million plus and spends it on itself. TV revenue comes to the Big regardless of revenue which we use for all sports. Here’s the reality. Fans are less relevant at all schools. TV calls the shots, and why Ohio state was a noon. Am I disappointed. Yes. But it is what it is. College football has morphed into semi pro ball, because of the failure of the NCAA. I don;t like, but time marches on.
Jerry - you missed the point. TV only pays the bills because people have interest in the sport and watch. Should the fan support decline over time so does the advertising and subscriptions that fund TV, the revenue to the schools, the NIL $ for players, etc. Piss off enough people and . . . . Both the NFL and NASCAR experienced reduced interest several years ago. The NFL has certainly come back, but I don’t believe NASCAR viewership is anywhere near what it was 5 or even 10 years ago.

Jerry - you missed the point. TV only pays the bills because people have interest in the sport and watch. Should the fan support decline over time so does the advertising and subscriptions that fund TV, the revenue to the schools, the NIL $ for players, etc. Piss off enough people and . . . . Both the NFL and NASCAR experienced reduced interest several years ago. The NFL has certainly come back, but I don’t believe NASCAR viewership is anywhere near what it was 5 or even 10 years ago.
We are good for at least a decade on the contracts. Northwestern new stadium is only 35,000
and Pitt only draws 35. It will take a gigantic drop off before anyone has anything to worry.

ADVERTISEMENT