ADVERTISEMENT

ColinCowherd on SaquonBarkley: "I thought you can't give him the ball 20 times, he's just too small"

I'm not a Cowherd defender by any means, but did you guys watch the video? The caption at the bottom even says "where Colin was wrong". He's admitting that he was wrong on Barkley and is very complimentary.
He is pretending to admit he was wrong on Barkley, but then explains it away with some BS about how the league has changed and Barkley is not being tackled by linebackers. In other words, he still compares Barkley to Reggie Bush and still thinks he's "small." It's akin to the old interview question "What is your greatest weakness?" and the answer "I'm a workaholic."

He is pretending to admit he was wrong on Barkley, but then explains it away with some BS about how the league has changed and Barkley is not being tackled by linebackers. In other words, he still compares Barkley to Reggie Bush and still thinks he's "small." It's akin to the old interview question "What is your greatest weakness?" and the answer "I'm a workaholic."
Why would he even bring it up? Nobody remembers him saying it months ago anyway.

I'm not a Cowherd defender by any means, but did you guys watch the video? The caption at the bottom even says "where Colin was wrong". He's admitting that he was wrong on Barkley and is very complimentary.

Yes I saw it and while he says some complimentary things its more like damning with faint praise because the league has "changed". But I didn't see him admitting to anything about him being too "small" and that is my beef with his statements. All he (Cowherd) had to do was look at his stats and then look at him to know he wasn't too small.
And, IMO, it doesn't matter which direction the league is taking or decade its in, Barkley could have played anytime.

Maybe Coward is too small for Barkley to care. Top 5 of pro bowl votes. If anyone is too small, I'm thinking it is the self-important jock sniffer

Why would he even bring it up? Nobody remembers him saying it months ago anyway.
That's an easy one. He brought it up so that he could appear self-deprecating and magnanimous while actually reinforcing his opinion that Barkley is "too small" and it's just that he's not faced with big, mean linebackers. It's a "sorry, not sorry" gambit.

That's an easy one. He brought it up so that he could appear self-deprecating and magnanimous while actually reinforcing his opinion that Barkley is "too small" and it's just that he's not faced with big, mean linebackers. It's a "sorry, not sorry" gambit.
K, whatever you say bro. As long as it reinforces your opinion.

I've revised my prediction on the actor who plays Cowherd in the biopic to Kate Mara.
kate-mara-short-hair-interview1-600x328.jpg

Colin-Cowherd-696x385.png

Yeah he said it in a backhanded compliment way. And all it would take is checking his height and weight.
I’ll give him a slight amount of slack because if you only take a quick look Saquon doesn’t look 233 lbs. He’s so proportionate that he appears smaller until you look close.
I’ve seen heavily muscled guys have this look before. You’d swear there this weight and it’s 30-40 lbs heavier.
But he’s still a putz. So many other pundits talk up his size and say he’s like Barry Sanders but over 230 and so on.

Reactions: BBrown
I spent a lot of time thinking about my greatest weakness before my interviews in senior year at PSU. I could not say I was a workaholic and keep a straight face, nor did my straight B average suggest as much, but I did say "I read too much."

Reactions: LionJim
Good Lord, Justin Jackson was smaller than Barkley and averaged 22 carries a game for four years at Northwestern. Some guys are durable and some aren't.

The comparison to Reggie Bush is not bad at all. Barkley does what Reggie Bush did but in a much more physical way. How many backs can outrun corners and also make crushing blocks to keep the pocket clean for the QB?

Frankly I hope the Giants use Barkley more like a Reggie Bush than, say, a Zeke Elliott -- his career will last longer.

The future of the running back position -- at college and in the NFL -- is tailback by committee. You have big physical backs who can do a lot of things and you use all of them and keep their legs fresh.

His run against the Skins was the fastest timed run in the NFL so far this year at 21mph + , his coach said it was the fastest he's seen him run game, practice, or college.

The games are the interesting part but since football can only be played once a week there is a lot of downtime between games. The job of people like Cowherd is to try to generate interest during the downtime, often by saying provocative things that get peoples attention regardless of whether it's sensible.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
I saw him do his live show from the hub several years ago.He looked like a deer in headlights.He was stumbling like a babbling idiot when kids asked him a question.Very awkward social skills.

Too small.. not physical enough.. isn't he still only 21 years old? Wait til he grows up. Kid is a monster. Close to being the best football player on the planet if not there already. I though he would be good but he is doing the same thing to NFL players that he did in college. Every week you have to tune in to see what he'll do next.

Too small.. not physical enough.. isn't he still only 21 years old? Wait til he grows up. Kid is a monster. Close to being the best football player on the planet if not there already. I though he would be good but he is doing the same thing to NFL players that he did in college. Every week you have to tune in to see what he'll do next.
yeah...at the combine, he was 6-0 and 233 lbs. Elliot, today, is 6' and 225. Gurley is 6-1 231. Gurley was 222 at his NFL combine. Barkley is three years younger than Gurley and two years younger than Elliot.

What Cowherd said is just dumb on so many levels.

His run against the Skins was the fastest timed run in the NFL so far this year at 21mph + , his coach said it was the fastest he's seen him run game, practice, or college.

Fastest timed TD run by a running back. There have been five faster plays - 3 by a running back but without scoring, 1 a faster interception for a TD, and 1 a faster TD catch by a wide receiver.

And this is why Cowherd thinks Barkley is small, because no one that size can run that fast in pads, much less make the kind of moves that Barkley can make. My guess is that Cowherd has no idea what Barkley weighs.

Reactions: CJLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT