18Utah1-02940NR818/NR
19Coastal Carolina1-0289024519/24
20Mississippi1-0285025520/25
21Virginia Tech1-02740NR1921/NR
22North Carolina0-125209-139/22
23Oklahoma State1-0243022-122/23
24Miami0-1186016-816/24
25Arizona State1-01810NR325/NR

I know it's early and this doesn't mean much - but there are a few head scratchers there. Clemson still #6 at 0-1? Miami got absolutely clobbered and they're hanging in there at 24?

Indiana being ranked didn’t last long. Tom Allen is probably screaming for a timeout at this very moment.
Indy's 2021 ranking was purely due to their success against ill-prepared for COVID teams in 2020. How voters didn't pick up on that is beyond me. There are probably others too.

Why? I am NOT a ND fan, but they won on the road against an FSU team fired up from loss of legendary coach and in a prime time game. Oregon struggled at home against an unranked Fresno team yet moved up a spot
Because FSU is not a good team. OU got penalized a spot. Iowa State got penalized two spots. If OU drops one, so should ND.

what beating UW meant is that we cannot go to the playoffs with one loss. If we had lost and then ran the table, we'd have had a chance. Now, if we lose one game (UM, Iowa, tOSU) we will be out. tOSU will go to the B1G championship and we won't have time to climb up the rankings.

Reactions: ftlpsu
what beating UW meant is that we cannot go to the playoffs with one loss. If we had lost and then ran the table, we'd have had a chance. Now, if we lose one game (UM, Iowa, tOSU) we will be out. tOSU will go to the B1G championship and we won't have time to climb up the rankings
oh, i dunno, it seems to me like you need to beat ohio state, pure and simple. let's say you lost to ia but beat ohio state and mich, then played and beat ia in the big championship at a neutral site game. I think you're going under those circumstances.

what beating UW meant is that we cannot go to the playoffs with one loss. If we had lost and then ran the table, we'd have had a chance. Now, if we lose one game (UM, Iowa, tOSU) we will be out. tOSU will go to the B1G championship and we won't have time to climb up the rankings.
Too early to say for sure. I think all week 1 showed is that there are (currently) no real elite teams other than Bama, and that we could be in for a parity-filled season with plenty of losses to be had. If PSU's only loss is a close game to OSU (say 34-31) then there's certainly a chance they could still get in.

Look at the teams ahead of them:

Iowa: Plays PSU
ISU: Struggled against NI (best case is that Iowa beats ISU then we beat Iowa)
ND: Struggled against FSU stopping the run
Cincinnati: Looked very good, could prove to be a playoff crasher if they beat ND.
Clemson: Already 1 loss
TA&M: Looked pedestrian for much of the game vs KSU
Oklahoma: Struggled hard against Tulane
OSU: Looked good but has question marks at certain spots on defense, and maybe at QB.
Georgia: Elite defense but offense virtually non-existant vs Clemson.
Alabama: Would probably wax everyone else not named Alabama.

Every team other than Alabama has some glaring weaknesses that could cost them a game or 2/3.

Indiana being ranked didn’t last long. Tom Allen is probably screaming for a timeout at this very moment.
Don't understand why Iowa is ahead of us. Indiana dropped out of top 25, which indicates they were significantly overrated.

If our only loss was to Iowa, we’d go to the Championship game (same too if Michigan was the only loss and they lose twice in conference play).

Reactions: Obliviax
Which moron coach (or their designated voter) left PSU at 20? Alverez?

We are probably ranked right where we should be. It's a long way to CCG week and the playoff. Besides the obvious matchups, upsets will occur. Winning is what matters the most and if we only lose once, it's needs not be to OSU.

Is there anything more stupid in then the coaches poll? Had some relevance 40-50 years ago when coaches knew a lot more about the teams then anybody else it made some sense. Now it is just stupid and purely for clicks.

If we get through this season with only 1 loss, I will be deliriously happy. Playoffs? I think of the Jim Mora recitation when I hear that mentioned about PSU 2021. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

so you would rather that PSU lost to Wiscy? I am confused about the comment's purpose. i am realistic enough to know that this team is not a playoff caliber team so not really thinking about how to get into the playoffs. just don't have the QB play unless something drastically changes to be a playoff team.

This site gives a breakdown of what each AP pollster voted, if you want to click individually on each: College Football Poll Tracker

It hasn’t been updated for this week yet.
Its been updated now

Lowest one was 18 by Ben Portnoy of Columbia, SC and Don Williams of Lubbock

Highest one was 5 by Jon Wilner of San Jose.

FWIW everyone's favorite Brett McMurphy has us at 7.

Interestingly 2 writers (including Portnoy) put Alabama at 2 and not 1.

Coaches let their kids do to the Coaches polls.

They don't give a crap. That is the meaningless poll.

I still think it is hilarious that more than one on here thought Wisconsin would stay ahead of us. I figured we would basically switch spots.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Don't quite follow this. Are you suggesting we would be more likely to run the table if we had lost to Wisconsin?

Don't quite follow this. Are you suggesting we would be more likely to run the table if we had lost to Wisconsin?
I don't think obli was suggesting that at all, just a general comment about not getting to a playoff with one loss now ,,,,
which I disagree with btw. 1 loss to Auburn and highly likely that PSU is in playoff as B10 champ

Also consider that Penn State left about 11 points off the board -- the missed FG, the missed PAT, and an overthrow of a wide-open Dotson....

IDK about that, they would have been in the POs in 2016 with two losses had they not been crushed by Michigan. Had that been a close game, they’re in.

They were fools gold last year. OSU was up 35-7 at half and let their guard down and there is no way in hell that Indiana should have beat PSU.

The only chance PSU ever has is if they beat OSU. PSU will go to the BiG championship game beats OSU head to head and both teams finish with 1 loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT