ADVERTISEMENT

CFP teams, Playoff Seeding and Penn State Bowl Predictions--Who Ya Got?

With Texas losing, I also believe we go the Peach Bowl.

I’m hoping that they put Georgia in at 4. Not because I think they should be there but moreso to blow the system up.

I don’t know. I just ran about 50 scenarios through my head about reform and the best I can come up with is 8 16 team conferences and seed all conference champions 1-8 and play them off. The all night war room with all you can eat onion dip selection process would become null. Win and you’re in. That’s it. I’m sure the logistics of this due to TV contracts and whatnot would make this impossible so I give up.

Reactions: johnmpsu
We are in Citrus. LSU ranked ahead of us gets the last at large spot of the 4 teams in Fiesta and Peach bowls.

The projections I am seeing have Texas going to Sugar Bowl and PSU to the Citrus vs. Kentucky. Personally, Kentucky does NOTHING for me.

Texas is a 4 loss team. why are they going anywhere near NY6?

i dont want us to play either UCF or Kentucky. these kind of games can only hurt out image.

Reactions: ralphster
That team PSU clobbered early in the season ought to be in high demand with a .500 record, it’s huge fan base and that prolific passing attack that was on display tonight.

How?
How does PSU go to the Peach Bowl under that scenario?

They gonna’ “jump” LSU and/or Florida? Because the PSU squad watched games on TV this weekend - in a more impressive fashion than the LSU and Florida squads?

:)

Do you really think the Peach will take two SEC teams, especially two that already played? I don't think PSU goes to the Peach, but your argument is flawed.

It appears the only - unlikely - scenario that could get PSU into the Peach Bowl is if UGA stays at #4 and goes to the CFP.

i dont want us to play either UCF or Kentucky. these kind of games can only hurt out image.

I’ll explain again.

Sugar is Big 12 vs SEC

Oklahoma would be in the sugar vs Georgia, but since Oklahoma is going to the playoffs, Big 12 will get the next ranked team in the sugar.

The Peach won't take 2 SEC teams.

UCF will be in the Fiesta, Michigan in the Peach.

Flip a coin for where FL/LSU go. Florida/UCF probably generates a little more interest than LSU/UCF. And Michigan played Florida last year.

Do you really think the Peach will take two SEC teams, especially two that already played?

The Peach won't take 2 SEC teams.

I dunno. ATL is in the heart of SEC country. There would be plenty of LSU and Florida fans within driving distance to come see a rematch. From the outside looking in, I can see the skepticism; but living in the ATL, I could see the Peach being reasonably happy about this. They would get the seats filled. And ESPN loves the SEC.

Don’t mind the Citrus just wish it was someone other that Kentucky. Wish it was Miss St

Do you think OSU jumps Oklahoma and UGA? Or do you think UGA stays in the CFP after the loss?
Time for 8 team playoff. Top 4 SEC in one bracket and, who cares about the other bracket as long as Norte Dame is included. SEC winner is the.........Mythical National Champion

I just don't want to play on New Year's day because of the major hangover I'll have the next day at work.

It's all about me!

1) Alabama 2) Clemson 3) Oklahoma 4) Notre Dame. PSU to Citrus. They move ND down to #4 due to no championship game.

The sugar bowl is obligated to take the Big 12 runner up (Texas) if the Big 12 champion (Oklahoma) is in the CFP. This would move us from the Peach to the Citrus so it all depends on whether Oklahoma or Georgia is selected for the final four. I don’t think Georgia will get in, and the committee isn’t going to move ND out, so it’s Citrus for us.

Huh?

Who said the Peach bowl takes two SEC teams?
Not I.

How the F is “my argument flawed”...... when that isn’t my argument?

Jeebzus.

PSU would have to “jump” LSU or Fla just to get into the NY 6 pool.

Good grief

Your argument is flawed because if UGA remains top 4 and in the CFP*, PSU is probably in the Peach even without jumping either LSU or UF.....unless the Peach takes two SEC teams.

*As I said before, I think that's unlikely, though still possible.

"Good grief" yourself!

Your argument is flawed because if UGA remains top 4 and in the CFP*, PSU is probably in the Peach even without jumping either LSU or UF.....unless the Peach takes two SEC teams.

*As I said before, I think that's unlikely, though still possible.

"Good grief" yourself!

Please know the rules. If Georgia makes the playoff then Florida goes to Sugar to play Oklahoma. And, yes, under this scenario we could end up in the Peach but it has nothing to do with the Peach taking two SEC teams. Under no circumstances is 2 SEC teams in the Peach even possible. One would go to the Fiesta and the other the Peach. The highest ranked teams go. There isn't "I want this team" in play here.

Who would have thought that such a harmless exercise in reasoned speculation could become contentious?

Last edited:
OFFICIAL

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl

No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 3 Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl

Bama
Clemson
ND
Oklahoma

Ohio St
Georgia

Sugar- Georgia vs Texas
Rose- Ohio St vs Washington
Fiesta- UCF vs LSU
Peach- Michigan vs Florida

Citruis- Kentucky vs PSU

the Sugar tie-in is what screws PSU. Texas with 4 losses does not deserve a high quality bowl. it would be like given Rose to NW if tOSU had been in playoffs. we get stuck with a UK non-brand name team with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

the Sugar tie-in is what screws PSU. Texas with 4 losses does not deserve a high quality bowl. it would be like given Rose to NW if tOSU had been in playoffs. we get stuck with a UK non-brand name team with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Get the win making it 3 straight 10 win seasons and go into next season ranked in the top five.

Easy solution. Beat Michigan State.

Reactions: 58psu77
Bama
Clemson
ND
Oklahoma

Ohio St
Georgia

Sugar- Georgia vs Texas
Rose- Ohio St vs Washington
Fiesta- UCF vs LSU
Peach- Michigan vs Florida

Citruis- Kentucky vs PSU
Bingo, exactly right.
Easy solution. Beat Michigan State.
Yes, PSU'S meltdown against MSU set us up for too many dominoes having to fall our way. Of course GA gets our hopes up then they wake up and realize where they are and completely collapse.

I think Bama could have had 3rd and 40 and they convert. Just abysmal in the 4th.

Could you explain this to me? Kentucky is an SEC team which most fans, IMHO, believe is the top conference in college football. I think winning that game would mean a lot.

The best outcome here is to play Kentucky, a game which we will probably win, and finish in the top 10.

Recruiting-wise, Franklin can then point to three straight top 10 finishes and three straight 10-win seasons, after only five years. If we lose to Kentucky, which would be surprising, that is not so good but nobody will really notice. IMO, although it is almost always better to go to an NY6 game, a high-profile game against UCF has no upside for any P5 program.

Please know the rules. If Georgia makes the playoff then Florida goes to Sugar to play Oklahoma. And, yes, under this scenario we could end up in the Peach but it has nothing to do with the Peach taking two SEC teams. Under no circumstances is 2 SEC teams in the Peach even possible. One would go to the Fiesta and the other the Peach. The highest ranked teams go. There isn't "I want this team" in play here.

You completely missed my point.

How did that become “my argument”?

Forget it...... I don’t think I wanna’ know :)
SMFH

I guess I misunderstood your comment that PSU would have to jump one of those teams to make the Peach Bowl. My only point was that UGA making the CFP could have done it. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT