ADVERTISEMENT

CBS's Winners/Losers....Penn State WRs

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Better hit the portal hard

Loser: Penn State's wide receivers​

Penn State quarterback Drew Allar has received the lion's share of the blame after losses to Ohio State and Michigan, and for good reason. The sophomore threw for 261 yards on an embarrassing 4.1 yards per attempt in the two losses. But against Michigan one thing became exceptionally clear: his wide receivers are doing him no favors.

Tight end Tyler Warren was the only player on the team with more than 13 yards receiving as the receivers posted just 7 yards per reception. The issues reached a head against Michigan, but Penn State's pass-catchers have been an issue all year. Keandre Lambert-Smith is the only wide receiver on the team that came into Saturday with more than 200 yards receiving.

Allar is a talented quarterback, but he desperately needs help. The Nittany Lions don't have any outside playmakers. Heading into a pivotal 2024, James Franklin's only priority should be upgrading Allar's receiving corps.

Yes, it would be great to have more talent at the playmaker positions. I must say Allar does not help himself. What I observed yesterday is Allar not seeing open receivers, and his throws are usually off target. If he would have hit some of these guys the game could have been different. Execution is important of course.

We saw Allar be exceptionally accurate early in the season. I think he’s lost it as he has absolutely no idea where his receivers will be on the field. One of them who starts clearly doesn’t know the playbook, most of them don’t run what would be considered routes, and even when the ball hits them in the hands they drop it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT