ADVERTISEMENT

Can the B1G get two teams in the playoffs?

psu_andy

Nov 1, 2021
If Fla St, Washington, and the winner of this game wins out, and Alabama beats Georgia, who gets in? Does the loser of this game, if it is close, have a shot? If Fla St loses and Alabama wins, does the loser of the OSU/ Mich game get in? What about Texas?

If Fla St, Washington, and the winner of this game wins out, and Alabama beats Georgia, who gets in? Does the loser of this game, if it is close, have a shot? If Fla St loses and Alabama wins, does the loser of the OSU/ Mich game get in? What about Texas?

Only scenario--Kentucky beat Louisville then Louisville beat FSU (FSU losing to FLorida would also work)
Oklahoma State beats Texas (assuming that's the matchup)
Bama winning hurts the odds IMO

Georgia 13-0
Big Ten Winer 13-0
Washington 13-0
Big Ten Runner Up

Ohio State is more likely than Michigan too

Next group would be
5 FSU 12-1 not a conf champ
6 Oregon 11-2 not a conf champ
7 Louisville 11-2 ACC champ
8 Texas 11-2 not a conf champ

If Bama, Texas, F$U, and Washington win CCGs, it's going to be a mess as it will be difficult to put Bama in in-front of Texas who they lost to head-to-head.

Texas beating Bama 3 months ago won't matter if Bama beats Georgia
I think people are ignoring just how highly Georgia is valued by the committee
If Bama, Texas, FSU and Washington win conference championship games then playoff is
Big Ten Winner
Alabama
Washington
Georgia
----
Florida State
Texas

And they'll say Texas and Bama weren't comparable.
This assumes they all win this weekend as well

No way 2 Big Ten teams make it this year. It will be Michigan (currently controlling OSU), SEC winner, PAC winner, and likely FSU if they win out or Texas if FSU loses.

If there are multiple upsets in championship games then it becomes a big mess but usually in that case they fall to the Herbstreit rule- “You shouldn’t be punished for having to play an extra game”. They’ll revert to the standings as they were going into the championship game weekend.

No way 2 Big Ten teams make it this year. It will be Michigan (currently controlling OSU), SEC winner, PAC winner, and likely FSU if they win out or Texas if FSU loses.

If there are multiple upsets in championship games then it becomes a big mess but usually in that case they fall to the Herbstreit rule- “You shouldn’t be punished for having to play an extra game”. They’ll revert to the standings as they were going into the championship game weekend.
The fla st/ fla game tonight is huge

Reactions: dswartz and psu00
The fla st/ fla game tonight is huge

Yep. Florida has been pretty anemic this year but I have a feeling they rise up tonight. Despite being undefeated, FSU is not a dominate team and the game is in the Swamp.

So dang disappointed we couldn't find an offense. Ugh... I SO DESPISE BOTH Michigan & OSU......

Look at who they've played--and we're talking about FSU without their best player
FSU hasn't played anyone since week 1

Florida is missing their QB as well.

Common opponent favors Noles.

Florida is average. Best win is Tennessee.

Florida is missing their QB as well.

Common opponent favors Noles.

Florida is average. Best win is Tennessee.
Florida's not very good but are we sure FSU is?
No outcome in that game would surprise me
I know FSU beat LSU week one but I'll take the subpar battle tested SEC team over a team that hasn't been challenged in months without their QB. Kentucky beating Louisville is comparable to me. FSU though has more talent than Louisville but Florida has more talent than Kentucky

Florida's not very good but are we sure FSU is?
No outcome in that game would surprise me
I know FSU beat LSU week one but I'll take the subpar battle tested SEC team over a team that hasn't been challenged in months without their QB. Kentucky beating Louisville is comparable to me. FSU though has more talent than Louisville but Florida has more talent than Kentucky

Seminoles have some NFL caliber guys. I don't know that they can beat UGA or Michigan, but that isn’t who lines up today.

Kentucky has been beating Louisville for 4 years running. It's definitely not comparable. Kentucky probably has more talent than Florida. Florida just has name value.

Seminoles have some NFL caliber guys. I don't know that they can beat UGA or Michigan, but that isn’t who lines up today.

Kentucky has been beating Louisville for 4 years running. It's definitely not comparable. Kentucky probably has more talent than Florida. Florida just has name value.
I guess we'll see. Florida has NFL talent on their roster for sure. More than Kentucky.

I guess we'll see. Florida has NFL talent on their roster for sure. More than Kentucky.

They have a better freshman class ratings wise. That's about it today. UK develops players very well. UK even dominated Florida this year (3rd win in a row). Your comments are indicative of someone who thinks of Spurrier and Meyer when he hears Florida moreso than a person who has watched them play this year.

They aren't good. Upsets happen. Go on record if you wish, but they have no business winning today.

They have a better freshman class ratings wise. That's about it today. UK develops players very well. UK even dominated Florida this year (3rd win in a row). Your comments are indicative of someone who thinks of Spurrier and Meyer when he hears Florida moreso than a person who has watched them play this year.

They aren't good. Upsets happen. Go on record if you wish, but they have no business winning today.
Again, I'm not saying they're good. I'm saying FSU isn't as good as people believe. FSU has a lot to prove today and I'm not alone in that thinking. FSU is only 6.5 point favorites against a Florida team that is under 500. It has nothing to do with Florida's past. I'm old enough to remember before Spurrier unfortunately and remember very cleary McElwain, Muschamp and Mullen.

Again, I'm not saying they're good. I'm saying FSU isn't as good as people believe. FSU has a lot to prove today and I'm not alone in that thinking. FSU is only 6.5 point favorites against a Florida team that is under 500. It has nothing to do with Florida's past. I'm old enough to remember before Spurrier unfortunately and remember very cleary McElwain, Muschamp and Mullen.

FSU is in an unenviable spot. They can win by 30 and still don't control their fate.

Highly unlikely. Too many still-undefeated teams. They put 2 B1G teams in last year and they both lost in the first game. They will not want a repeat. That is also a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSPMax
If Bama, Texas, F$U, and Washington win CCGs, it's going to be a mess as it will be difficult to put Bama in in-front of Texas who they lost to head-to-head.
It’s not going to be a mess at all - the SEC improbably gets shut out in that case. All undefeated P5 champs are definitely in and you have to take a 1 loss champ Texas over a 1 loss Bama given head to head.

FSU is in an unenviable spot. They can win by 30 and still don't control their fate.
Absolutely not. They are definitely in if they go undefeated. Of note, they’d have beaten two SEC teams along the way in addition to winning the ACC in that case.

The first criteria the CFP Committee uses is fewer losses among P5 teams. No undefeated team is going to be shut out.

Reactions: lazydave841
Absolutely not. They are definitely in if they go undefeated. Of note, they’d have beaten two SEC teams along the way in addition to winning the ACC in that case.

The first criteria the CFP Committee uses is fewer losses among P5 teams. No undefeated team is going to be shut out.

I agree with your thought process, but the fact they dropped them is just concerning until it isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT