ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Contract talks....

No Sh**t!

i43feqqdfvyedj2qdtbl.jpg

That was such a crock of sh*t. He gets paid to win. Winning is the most important part of his job or else the program wouldn't be where it is.

Yes the other things are important and play a role but bottom line, if you guys were graduating everyone with a 4.0 but finished 65th at NCAA's he'd be looking for a new job. Plain and simple.

That was such a crock of sh*t. He gets paid to win. Winning is the most important part of his job or else the program wouldn't be where it is.

Yes the other things are important and play a role but bottom line, if you guys were graduating everyone with a 4.0 but finished 65th at NCAA's he'd be looking for a new job. Plain and simple.
Thank you for the Iowa perspective.

At Penn State, it's not an either-or. We demand both.

Oh you mean your non all B1G academic for Nevills, Nickal, Cenzo, Suriano, Cortez, Mark Hall? Yeah they are 4.0 guys lol

Lock Cael up for life. He shouldn't have to think about another destination until he's ready to chill with Morty at Del Boca Vista...

In my opinion its as important to keep the other parts of the machine taken care of as it is cael.

Cody and casey should not only be the highest paid assts in the land but if people want this thing to carry on should make them paid as if they were HCs elsewhere.

Or they will be elsewhere.

Oh you mean your non all B1G academic for Nevills, Nickal, Cenzo, Suriano, Cortez, Mark Hall? Yeah they are 4.0 guys lol
That's rich coming over here casting aspersions on our academic record. And yes, it is equally important to us.

Reactions: diggerpup
That's rich coming over here casting aspersions on our academic record. And yes, it is equally important to us.
Doesn't matter. The record shows that we're significantly closer to reaching both goals than his team is.

He also demonstrated ignorance about qualifications for academic all-conference and all-america teams ... but what do you expect?

It was at this point that Dayhawk18 decided to go round robin/groups of 4 with Penn State's starting forum lineup...so far - looking pretty ugly for him.

Reactions: Dtk59
Interesting comment considering Iowa had 9 academic all Americans in the B1G, but alas, PSU had 15. You really want to go there?
OMG please don't even try to compare Iowa against PSU academics....When you see Mike Evens or now Micheal K. ask them to tell you the truth if the must attend classes....LOL

OMG please don't even try to compare Iowa against PSU academics....When you see Mike Evens or now Micheal K. ask them to tell you the truth if the must attend classes....LOL
It's one thing to be a rival, it's another to make baseless accusations like this. You really need to stop this garbage. Beclown yourself all you want, but making the entire board look like fools is not tolerable.

BTW, Kemerer made the Academic B10 team: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18023
So, yes, go right ahead and ask him to tell the truth about attending classes.

Geez guys, it's not a peeing contest. Congrats to all the guys that earned Academic All-Big Ten Honors while wrestling...PSU guys, Iowa guys, and all others. I'm sure your parents, friends, and your coaches and school are proud of you.[/QUOTE
+1000
We should be celebrating all 120 wrestlers who EARNED all Big Ten Academic honors last semester.
Competing in the highly competitive Big Ten wrestling conf. While being true and successful student athletes is cause to be proud of each and every one of these fine young men. So easy to be negative but where is the expressions of congratulations. These are excellent role models who are balancing a difficult training schedule while maintaining their academic priorities.
I for one am embarrassed by the nature of several comments in this tread. Not the Nittany Nation I enlisted in.
For historical reference a student must have started their 2nd year for Big Ten academic consideration. True freshman are NOT eligible.

Penn State AD Sandy Barbour intends to keep men’s hockey, wrestling coaches

Barbour also said Sanderson’s contract, which expires in June, was discussed at the end of last season. That dialogue has since resurfaced.

“We’re back talking about it,” Barbour added.

Sanderson, who received an extension in 2012, has captured six national championships in seven seasons at Penn State. He said a little more than a month ago that any delay in a new deal wasn’t so much about his salary.

“There are a couple things I’m trying to get done to move the program along and so that’s kind of what I’ve been waiting on,” he said at the time.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/article149603714.html#storylink=cpy

Almost certainly not. The only one possible is Iowa. Cael has stated that one of his goals is for PSU wrestling to be self sustaining, meaning break even or better. It will be a tough goal to reach but it could happen if we keep increasing the revenue stream.

Super tough if the BTN money doesn't get allocated to wrestling at all. Not sure this is the case but it wouldn't surprise me.

From the article: "The program in 2015-16 brought in $636,917 in ticket revenue. Total operating expenses were listed at just over $2.4 million and total revenue was listed at just over $1.7 million. It awarded $397,006 in scholarships, and its recruiting budget was $45,532, according to the 2016 NCAA Annual Financial Report filed by Penn State."

Based on this, is there any big time wrestling program that breaks even?
it isn't listing the BigTen revenue which could be some more TV.

I would be interested in what he wants to get done for the program. Assume it is administration battles and not salary issues.

I have a guess, but only guessing. There is probably a desire to make certain the entire staff, including the 4th coach receives enough compensation to allow him to have a family and be secure.

Whatever it is I wish they would get it taken care of and announce the extension.

I would be interested in what he wants to get done for the program. Assume it is administration battles and not salary issues.

Just tossing out another thought about what Cael may want, besides items already mentioned.

Some programs perform at a larger venue than Rec Hall. Rec Hall has lots of advantages as a wrestling venue, but is limited in size.

Cael has been slowly trying to get some events in the BJC. Perhaps he would like funding for a larger number of events in the BJC each year, or to host other wrestling events or more large events.

If so - This would be consistent with his goal to make the program break-even or profitable, but would provide a protective floor of funding for continued experiments with expanding the program.

Just a topic for discussion. Not based upon inside info.

I have a guess, but only guessing. There is probably a desire to make certain the entire staff, including the 4th coach receives enough compensation to allow him to have a family and be secure.

Whatever it is I wish they would get it taken care of and announce the extension.

You can bet that Cael is looking out of the entire staff including Willie.

Just tossing out another thought about what Cael may want, besides items already mentioned.

Some programs perform at a larger venue than Rec Hall. Rec Hall has lots of advantages as a wrestling venue, but is limited in size.

Cael has been slowly trying to get some events in the BJC. Perhaps he would like funding for a larger number of events in the BJC each year, or to host other wrestling events or more large events.

If so - This would be consistent with his goal to make the program break-even or profitable, but would provide a protective floor of funding for continued experiments with expanding the program.

Just a topic for discussion. Not based upon inside info.

If Cael thought more events should be in BJC he would just schedule them. I think they are putting the max number of events in BJC they want to based on wanting to continuing wrestling in front of full capacity.

If there were another venue constructed that had more seating capacity, but gave the same intimacy Rec Hall gives I think they would be all in, but right now I think Cael and Co consider Rec Hall home and BJC just something to do occasionally.

If Cael thought more events should be in BJC he would just schedule them. I think they are putting the max number of events in BJC they want to based on wanting to continuing wrestling in front of full capacity.

If there were another venue constructed that had more seating capacity, but gave the same intimacy Rec Hall gives I think they would be all in, but right now I think Cael and Co consider Rec Hall home and BJC just something to do occasionally.
PSU should consider building an arena that seats 10K for all sports, do it the right way so it is good for many sports including basketball.

As successful as the wrestling program is, the market would not support having many matches at the BJC each season from the standpoint of sellouts. No doubt sellouts for Iowa and Ohio State, Maryland and Northwestern type programs are not drawing 15K.

Reactions: FineMaterial
I wonder if Rec hall can still be expanded, or more succinctly, at what cost? It would probably be cheaper to do a new building, but then you lose the history/legacy of the original, which is important to many.

pretty sure cael has said many times that he prefers

agree. cael has said many times he prefers the atmosphere at rec. bjc will attract sellouts for certain teams(ia.,o$u, osu,maybe a few others). i doubt they would come close to selling out bjc for lesser match-ups, especially during the winter months.

Not sure how many of you got the survey for renovating Rec Hall a few months ago, but it looks like thats the route they're taking. They're also looking to close in the "open space" of the BJC, so i dont think there's any plan to build a new facility.

I wonder if Rec hall can still be expanded, or more succinctly, at what cost? It would probably be cheaper to do a new building, but then you lose the history/legacy of the original, which is important to many.
Can't imagine where they could expand, not to mention the parking nearby is not exactly plentiful.

PSU should consider building an arena that seats 10K for all sports, do it the right way so it is good for many sports including basketball.

As successful as the wrestling program is, the market would not support having many matches at the BJC each season from the standpoint of sellouts. No doubt sellouts for Iowa and Ohio State, Maryland and Northwestern type programs are not drawing 15K.
My thoughts exactly! BJC is not the way to go. Keep the intimate atmosphere while expanding attendance and modernizing. Building something like Rutgers's arena would be ideal. Do it in Rec Hall if possible.

Guys, guys. It takes time to find creative ways to funnel new money into the slush fund(s).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT