ADVERTISEMENT

Buckeye Wrestleoffs - a desperate plea

Jordan back on the attack, little fake from Hayes, and now Hayes hanging out in Micah's underhook. looks firemans, but clears out finally. Keshawn clearing ties, but not looking like he's interested in scoring. Micah is attempting, but Hayes has decent defense. More stopping attacks into over/unders. Hayes slaps at a leg out of his overhook because that's advantageous in his mind. No score. Period ends 0-0. Hayes defers, and Jordan takes neutral because he's a coward.

Couple of coeds walk by in the background, but didn't look terribly attractive. Micah with a slick little duck for 2. WOOOOOWWWEEE We're scoring! Hayes gets hand control and clears out. 2-1 Micah with a minute left. Micah gets to an ankle again, but Hayes turns out. Hayes don't move too fast. Micah goes again and scrambles to both legs, but refs say that Hayes was out of bounds. Now, they retract that, now 4-1 for Jordan... Interesting.

Never Let Me Down interlude from the most influential hip hop artist of all-time, and we're back on the mat. Hayes can't escape, so it's 4-1 Micah, and he has :56 of RT. Hayes takes top to start the 3rd.

Second caution on Hayes. Jordan escapes right away. Still pouring it on, looking right side single. Hayes chases a leg reach out of bounds. No score. 5-1 Micah with 1:00 left. Micah goes left side single and catches Hayes slippin'. 7-1 and now we got RT. 7-2 after Hayes hip-heists out. Both guys trade attempts, end in over/under. Micah wins 8-2 w/RT. Micah doesn't have to wrestle Nolf. Congrats, bud.

Reactions: Ja1339
So it looks like we'll see Berge - Jordan and Nolf - the death of Hayes pretty much as expected. That will be the benchmark match for Berge and I suspect 6 points for us at 157

Campbell-Smith II (Campbell won Match 1 in OT)
Smith gets deep, but can't finish his attack in bounds after Campbell fends off well. No attack since. Couple of snaps. Smith touches a leg and Campbell pounces into front head, but no score. Period ends 0-0. Smith defers and Campbell takes bottom for the 2nd.

Pletcher has an ankle brace on.
I didn't catch who he was wrestling, but Pletcher is in red. He stops a shot, re-attacks off the front headlock, gets stuck on the leg, stalemate.
Felix is this cat's name. He's from Gilroy HS, where Cormier is now coaching.
Could of level changes but nobody gets to legs. Felix scrapes and ankle, but no. Pletcher gets a throwby to leg attack and scores. 2-0. We're seeing our first real riding of the night, yeehaw! **** With Dre Day intro playing in the background, VERY NICE! Pletcher gets a little tilt for 2 after a restart. 4-0. Pletcher works Felix to his back and ends up in a headlock, FALL with :08 to spare.

Pletcher by something other than decision?
giphy.gif

Campbell gets a reversal after a restart. Smith flattened, but ref stalemates it for whatever reason. 2-0 Campbell. 2-1 after Smith gets out on the restart. Smith in deep on single. Campbell fending off, comes to body cradle and fights out. Good little scramble, just wish Campbell would initiate any sort of offense. Period ends 2-1 and Smith chooses bottom.

Reactions: lionlover
Campbell sits claw again, Smith gets to base again, but we have blood. Still D.R.E. playing AGAIN. DJ needs to be fired for repeat interludes.

Campbell claw, then stalemate. Wow. Interesting officiating. Smith gets away, 2-2. Campbell only has :41 of RT, so it's not a factor.
1:00 left, and Smith is trying to heat the stove up. Campbell circling, defending. Campbell goes double, but ends up on one leg, Smith in a splits on the edge. Smith gets pulled back in by his ankle, and Campbell gets the 2. 4-2 Campbell wins the 174 spot.

Didn't hear that. heard there was no 141 McKenna match.

Ahh I stand corrected I think you are right. That would have been a good one too but I really want to see Hoffman. A pretty sad story on that front in terms of his "dream" to be a lion, only to have him then become a man on a mission and go out and beat the then #1 Beard after we recruited him over Hoffman. I still believe Beard has the higher ceiling.

I just wish Hoffman had opted somewhere else as his second choice. PA boys in Ohio gives me idigestion. Then again PA boys in Iowa gives me nausea.

Reactions: diggerpup
Kaleb Romero vs Sherels? Kid jumped the initial start and has the Askren fro going on.
Romero in deep on single. Sherels tries to defend, but gets taken down. As Romero works up from ankles, Sherels kicks out for 1. 2-1 Romero. Romero on attack quite a bit, I'll give him that. Sherels pulling out all the junk. We get a PD off of a shin wizzer for some reason. Romero goes blast double, transitions to single, trips for the takedown and Romero looks for more, but nothing goes. Sherel skips out. 4-2. Stalemate on the edge after Romero defends an awful single. Period ends.

I gotta dip, gentleman. Roommate needs his ass kicked in chel. Sorry for leaving early, but ya'll really ain't missing shit. I'll probably watch, but can't post.

Reactions: lionlover
Ahh I stand corrected I think you are right. That would have been a good one too but I really want to see Hoffman. A pretty sad story on that front in terms of his "dream" to be a lion, only to have him then become a man on a mission and go out and beat the then #1 Beard after we recruited him over Hoffman. I still believe Beard has the higher ceiling.

I just wish Hoffman had opted somewhere else as his second choice. PA boys in Ohio gives me idigestion. Then again PA boys in Iowa gives me nausea.

How about PA boys in Oklahoma?

TeSean seems more comfortable with food. Not terrifying though.

Thought i’d see more from Romero—seems solid. Familiarity does not lend to an entertaining product, that’s for sure.

Reactions: jtothemfp
MiMar is a Sr. Finalist former NC and all, but after 1 Period it seems Hoffman has a looooong way to go

NextGen impressions

Heinselman- tOSU would be smart to start with Mead. Maybe all year. Heinselman is still small and is basically a neutral wrestler right now. Outstanding gas tank though, and very skilled overall.

Smith- Very solid, but nothing really jumps out. If he ever starts then it means Rocky Jordan didn't work out.

Romero- Brilliant athletic flashes, but offers very little on the mat and might have trouble with consistent finishes. Have to wonder what his tank will be like at 165.

Hoffman- Even down at 184, his feet look a little heavy. But he's still a scrapper and Martin can make you worse than you are.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I don't see how people could have watched Martin for 3 years and still think Rasheed has a chance.

Martin is very strong, and short one Bo Nickal he would really be generating a lot of career talk. That said count me in as among one of those 'people'. They wrestle 10 times MM probably wins 8 easily, but I like the Lions under the big lights; Magic happens .... pretty frequently. I like Shack's training partner as well.

NextGen impressions

Heinselman- tOSU would be smart to start with Mead this year. Maybe all year. Heinselman is still small and is basically a neutral wrestler right now. Outstanding gas tank though, and very skilled overall.

Smith- Very solid, but nothing really jumps out. If he ever starts then it means Rocky Jordan didn't work out.

Romero- Brilliant athletic flashes, but offers very little on the mat and might have trouble with consistent finishes. Have to wonder what his tank will be like at 165.

Hoffman- Even down at 184, his feet look a little heavy. But he's still a scrapper and Martin can make you worse than you are.
All notes to be filed away in Ryan’s Poaching binder. It’s a D Ring binder as far as binder sizes go

I don't see how people could have watched Martin for 3 years and still think Rasheed has a chance.
He's a much better wrestler as a non-champ than he was his freshman year. Before Bo flipped him last year it really looked like he was going to be in that final until the end.

Shak can win by pin but his pins tend to come by cradle, and I'm skeptical he can turn Martin even if he manages to lock one up.

Interesting to see what Martin just did to Hoffman, pretty effortlessly too.

I don't mean to name drop but at least year's NCAAs I walked over to the arena with Gary Traub. Nice guy.

Was waiting to see if Singletary was improved since I saw him last Feb in Edinboro...

Pretty clear now that the Bucknuts might have been extra motivated to land Kerk.

The nuts have a couple of big holes this year. Looks like we're headed to OT.

The Kerkvleit recruit makes more sense. Chase Singletary looks very MEH. His record last year was pretty medocre in open tourneys. Not sure why, as he was a top rated blue chipper, granted undersized, but.... He looks out of shape too

He gets in on low shots and just can't overcome the size of a heavy. Soft bodied, tired, sluggish. 1-1 with a solid wrestler in Traub, but it's not very encouraging. You can see why they went hard after Kerkvliet.
Their relative sizes are comparable to what we might expect from Cassar and Nick. How do you think that match differs? Does Cassar gets in on a leg and get stuffed every time like Singletary just did?

Geez, Singletary needs to find a home somewhere at 197.

Agreed, or I don't see him remaining a Buck for long. Yikes the least impressive top recruit I have seen in a long time. It's almost like he doesn't have heart anymore. I have no idea the Petigree of the dude he wrestled, but he was far from impressive either. Nevill's will major either one

Their relative sizes are comparable to what we might expect from Cassar and Nick. How do you think that match differs? Does Cassar gets in on a leg and get stuffed every time like Singletary just did?
There is no comparison between Singletary and Cassar. Worlds apart at this time.

That's not to say Cassar is winning the spot. But Singletary would get murdered by Nick. By AC as well.

I don't mean to name drop but at least year's NCAAs I walked over to the arena with Gary Traub. Nice guy.

Thanks. My apologies to Gary Traub. When Singletary was in the middle of the mat.....Traub hadn't got to the edge of the mat yet. He looked about 5'4" and his profile stance has unique curves to put it mildly. Perspective. Plus...he won! Wow......Singletary did not look excited to be wrestling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT