ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Shoop owes PSU $891,856

As must be pretty clear by now, I am not generally a "move on" type of guy. But in this particular case I wish PSU would settle and move on. There's not enough $ at stake, and from where I sit the lawsuit is not worth the bad public scrutiny we are bound to receive if the lawsuit moves to court. I'm not a lawyer, so perhaps precedent is their concern?

In any event, the crack PSU legal side is bound to keep their perfect record intact by F'ing this up too. They whistled away almost $100 million with their open checkbook for "victims" yet pursue this nickel and dime shit? Idiots.

Reactions: denniskembala
Listen, here's the deal. Shoop was happy. His wife was not. There was an event that created an irreparable situation with his wife and PSU. Shoop, basically, had to make a decision on wife or PSU. (I don't know if they were headed for divorce, but she was headed out of town, with or without him). So that is where the notion of a horrible work environment comes in. So Shoop feels that the situation at PSU was untenable. So he feels he is not owed the money because PSU made the situation intolerable for his wife, which made it intolerable for him.

So he interviews with Tenn, CJF fires/forces him to resign/he resigns by choice (depending upon whom you believe) him, he has this money, PSU sues him for the money, Shoop countersues about the intolerable conditions. That is where it stands.
Shoop's problem, IMO, is that the wife thing doesn't concern his job.

As must be pretty clear by now, I am not generally a "move on" type of guy. But in this particular case I wish PSU would settle and move on. There's not enough $ at stake, and from where I sit the lawsuit is not worth the bad public scrutiny we are bound to receive if the lawsuit moves to court. I'm not a lawyer, so perhaps precedent is their concern?

In any event, the crack PSU legal side is bound to keep their perfect record intact by F'ing this up too. They whistled away almost $100 million with their open checkbook for "victims" yet pursue this nickel and dime shit? Idiots.
No way can PSU move on; PSU needs this money to pay for all those overnight UPS season ticket packages ;)

Reactions: Mixolydian

A contract dispute with a former employee and a settlement to an alleged CSA victim are not the same things. PSU isn't going to be hit with negative publicity on this one.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
A contract dispute with a former employee and a settlement to an alleged CSA victim are not the same things. PSU isn't going to be hit with negative publicity on this one.

Yes some people will make a big deal out of it. Especially if CJF is called to testify, hostile work environment, etc. And BTW, $900,000 and $100 million aren't the same thing either.

You are right less often than a broken clock. You are a full fledged buffoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: denniskembala
What the hell was the wife thing that made the situation untenable? It was obviously something that was very personally offensive to her.

If there really was a bad encounter with his wife by a PSU employee, I could see where a court might be sympathetic to him.

What the hell was the wife thing that made the situation untenable? It was obviously something that was very personally offensive to her.

If there really was a bad encounter with his wife by a PSU employee, I could see where a court might be sympathetic to him.

Yep and the way things go for PSU, it won't matter whether there "really" was a bad encounter or not....

Do you think you'll be able to tell us what it is eventually, or does this go into the pile of things around here that must be held in strict confidence forever?

Is this to me? I have no idea. Sorry if I made it seem like I have inside info on this situation. Just speculating.

I do support them settling this and moving on as it's not worth the scrutiny or the distraction for CJF in my opinion.

But as you rightfully pointed out, if I was positioning myself as a true insider I wouldn't be able to reveal my info or sources. Yet...:eek:

Listen, here's the deal. Shoop was happy. His wife was not. There was an event that created an irreparable situation with his wife and PSU. Shoop, basically, had to make a decision on wife or PSU. (I don't know if they were headed for divorce, but she was headed out of town, with or without him). So that is where the notion of a horrible work environment comes in. So Shoop feels that the situation at PSU was untenable. So he feels he is not owed the money because PSU made the situation intolerable for his wife, which made it intolerable for him.

So he interviews with Tenn, CJF fires/forces him to resign/he resigns by choice (depending upon whom you believe) him, he has this money, PSU sues him for the money, Shoop countersues about the intolerable conditions. That is where it stands.
Still doesn't make sense to me. How does any of that relate to hostile work environment? Wife unhappy, some event happens, wife is really unhappy. Stress affects Shoop. What does any of that have to do with his professional capacity as a coach in the football program? Seems to be a personal matter unless the event was so egregious that it impacted Shoop and his coaching duties by others making unwelcome comments or taking actions against him. If it was that egregious one would have to believe that Tyler would not be at PSU as he would subjected to similar comments.

The law defines harassment as unwelcome comments or actions that create a hostile or offensive working environment or that the victim must endure as a condition of employment. Sexual harassment is the most familiar type of harassment, but harassment might also be based on disability, race, and other protected traits.

If you complain about workplace harassment or discrimination, you are protected from retaliation. Your employer may not discipline, fire, or take other negative action against you because you complain within the company, to a government agency (like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the Pennsylvania Human Rights Commission), or in a lawsuit.

http://research.lawyers.com/pennsylvania/employment-law-in-pennsylvania.html

So he complained and they took action by forcing him to resign?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT