ADVERTISEMENT

Bo’s MMA announcement

I obviously wish him the best.

But as a wrestling fan it sucks. I love watching Bo and I think he could be a world champ in time.

Reactions: Ski
Does this mean he will not wrestle 2020 and beyond?

Last edited:
Love it! Folkstyle wrestling is still my favorite sport, but MMA is a way bigger deal than freestyle wrestling. I wish way more of these guys would follow suite. Johnny Hendricks became a household name because of MMA. Ben Askren is known more because of MMA. It gives credit to the wrestling background.

He is going to wrestle through the Olympic trials then it looks like we will get what we want.

I also recall Richie Lewis threatening to knock Bo out. Maybe if he’s lucky, Bo will give him his chance

scrappydoo.jpg

Life's full of choices, and I am positive this one was well thought out. His support system (those he loves/respects), from Mom and Dad, to the NLWC Coaches were part of this discussion, I'm sure. For now, I'll enjoy his FS career, and continue following Bo wherever life takes him.

Reactions: diggerpup
I would never bet against Bo. If he is serious about MMA I’d bet the farm he’s going to be the best at it.

Reactions: diggerpup
He is going to wrestle through the Olympic trials then it looks like we will get what we want.
Just so everybody knows what he's talking about when he says, "... we will get what we want."

Grip220HR MVP

Hopefully the supplements make him taller too otherwise he is going to look like an XL Nato (think no neck).

Tomasello should go the MMA route. Could slide right in with his boxing background. Kid was tough as nails too. AND we could see him get punched in the face too
I like Nato I would root for him, but for some reason the picture of Nickal getting his face smashed up makes me chuckle. It will happen I will laugh good stuff.

Just so everybody knows what he's talking about when he says, "... we will get what we want."

Grip220HR MVP

Hopefully the supplements make him taller too otherwise he is going to look like an XL Nato (think no neck).

Tomasello should go the MMA route. Could slide right in with his boxing background. Kid was tough as nails too. AND we could see him get punched in the face too
I like Nato I would root for him, but for some reason the picture of Nickal getting his face smashed up makes me chuckle. It will happen I will laugh good stuff.
The post directly above that is a prime example of why Hawkeye Resistance turned from a once great board into a proud cesspool.

"Snyder may share supplements with Taylor and company and wrestle heavyweight."

Of course any idiot can post anything -- and did -- but nobody is under any obligation to like it. 6 did, including Grippy.

Says a lot more about he posters and likers than about the subjects.

giphy.gif

Grip220HR MVP

Top two thirds of the post pulled are mine. I would like to see both NATO and BO go MMA. Think the would both excell. They have a strong wrestling base, submissions would be quickly picked up, one can strike and the other should have some filthy leg kicks. Interested to see how both take a punch.

I stand by wanting to see them both get punched in the face. Then again I'd like to see Gilman in an octagon if he so chooses but I'd put money on Bo and NATO being better.

(Terry would have been a fun watch if they had it back in the day)

I have no qualms with it being a blood sport or with anyone that doesn't feel it is their cup of tea.

Some guys like dodgeball, some like
MMA...they find IT fun. Fitch, Hendricks and the likes; those guys are wired a bit different.
If two participants willingly enter into the contest--I am intrigued and will watch.

Dodgeball, wrestling, MMA fighting or pretty much any other competition Richie Lewis is pretty much always going to be Bo's bitch.

But hey, Richie did go to Rutgers so there is that.

Reactions: danoftw and Hotshoe
Massive, Massive Prospect. Hope he uses his wrestling like Askren did/does instead of trying to be a Pico!

Very clear that the MMA world holds him in high regard too. ATT is a top notch team and his agency represents the best MMA fighter to ever walk the earth (Jon Jones).

Best of luck to Bo.
That being said, having watched some but admittedly not a ton of MMA, there is just that little variable of getting punched/elbowed/kneed in the face/head that makes it hard to predict how good someone will be in MMA. You can be a great boxer/wrestler/etc, and be able to deadlift a Volkswagen, but the rubber really meets the road when someone tries their hardest to punch you in the face.

Him and Gravina both
giphy.gif

There weren't major implications but this was maybe my favorite Bo pin ever. Gravina came out and immediately clubbed Bo in the face and Bo immediately clubbed him right back like "You really want to go there?"

The pin was honestly one of the most humiliating positions I think Bo put an opponent in and he was in it for a LONG time before Bo got both shoulders down.

Gravina and Lewis think the whole "Jersey tough" thing will intimidate Bo. Do they not realize Bo is from Texas? His mom has been taking him to MMA gyms since he was a kid and when asked if it worries her that her son can get hit she said "That's why we have doctors" and "I'm more worried about Bo's opponent than Bo himself".

I don't see Jon Jones agent pursuing any Rutgers wrestler (Suriano will be a big time prospect when he's ready though)

Best of luck to Bo.
That being said, having watched some but admittedly not a ton of MMA, there is just that little variable of getting punched/elbowed/kneed in the face/head that makes it hard to predict how good someone will be in MMA. You can be a great boxer/wrestler/etc, and be able to deadlift a Volkswagen, but the rubber really meets the road when someone tries their hardest to punch you in the face.
Fortunately Bo has ecperience, having faced Rutgers. And Brunson.

Grip220HR MVP

Yes I do not deny it at all. I will also root for Bo just like any other USA team member if he makes the team as I stated. I cannot say when he goes MMA I will feel the same he is not one of my favorite PSU guys. And I notice you did not highlight the post when I said I would not mind it so much if he was a Hawkeye along with a few other PSU guys we missed out on.
Im glad you took the time out of you very busy schedule to look up just what you wanted and not all the facts. Reminds me of a few news channels that should be terminated.

Again if he is representing the US for 2020 I will be rooting as hard or harder than most.

When he goes MMA he will be humbled and I will not mind that either. I stand behind what I said 100% and I dont care if you do not like it!!!

Next year and a half timeline:

Bo Beats Cox
Tan Tom goes to Aruba
Bo Becomes Olympic Champion
Bo becomes MMA Champion.
Then Aruba again with Tan Tom

Sorry...just makes me laugh! That's all!!!!:D

I like MMA and think it gives athletes from our sport another option to monetize their skills beyond becoming coaches. Would I prefer legitimate professional wrestling? Of course, but that's been tried many times without much success.

Personally, I'd like to see Bo stick it out through 2024 but understand the window to monetize his skills is short and he has to do what he thinks is right for him.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the MMA thing. Guys talk smack and actually get to put up or shut up. MMA gives guys a chance to actually use all of the disciplines including wrestling. Folkstyle wrestling is a great base to becoming an excellent MMA fighter. I watch (if I have nothing else to do) freestyle wrestling when it is final X or any event featuring top folkstyle stars, but I always wish I could watch the same guys competing in folkstyle instead. I like control. Folkstyle wrestling and MMA both feature control where freestyle awards too many chicken sh_t scoring moves for my taste. The great thing about having so many young stars coming out of our college ranks lately is there are plenty of guys for each sport. Bo is fun to watch even if he is just jumping off of bales of hay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT