ADVERTISEMENT

Bo’s MMA announcement

I like MMA on a casual level and have made it a point to watch a few MMA cards in the past. I'll be sure to tune into Bo matches as well.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the MMA thing. Guys talk smack and actually get to put up or shut up. MMA gives guys a chance to actually use all of the disciplines including wrestling. Folkstyle wrestling is a great base to becoming an excellent MMA fighter. I watch (if I have nothing else to do) freestyle wrestling when it is final X or any event featuring top folkstyle stars, but I always wish I could watch the same guys competing in folkstyle instead. I like control. Folkstyle wrestling and MMA both feature control where freestyle awards too many chicken sh_t scoring moves for my taste. The great thing about having so many young stars coming out of our college ranks lately is there are plenty of guys for each sport. Bo is fun to watch even if he is just jumping off of bales of hay.
Maybe it's just not as popular with wrestling purists...not really sure. Big picture, you and all others that enjoy the sport are following a top-10 sport, popularity-wise, by one source...;

1 Football
2 Baseball
3 Basketball
4 Ice Hockey
5 Soccer
6 Boxing
7 Auto Racing
8 Golf
9 Tennis
10 MMA

I like MMA.

I grew up liking watching boxing, but that standalone sport has deteriorated. I like watching striking, and I like watching grappling, and I reallllly like watching technical submissions. I like that there are enough rules in place to dissuade the 'anything goes' aspect of a street fight (no eye gouging, groin attacks, head butts), but otherwise there's plenty of freedom for one bro or phine to physically dominate their opponents, in a multitude of physical manners. As such, it's an excellent measurement of skill + badassery = Baddest MoFo.

I hate the weight-cutting rules, which, ironically in such a barbaric sport, allow athletes to become more dangerous to themselves than their opponents are to them. Although that in itself carries an essential Life Truth. But I pray for their kidneys--and not from kidney punches. Hopefully it won't be long before the regulating bodies catch up to Wrestling's institutional knowledge in his important health department.

But my favorite part of MMA is the "mixed" part. The fact that one bro at the very top of one skill's mountain can be completely overmatched b/c the other bro is more skilled at a different art is super compelling to me.

Less compelling is when fans try to re-parse the mixed part, and use it to throw shade when an Askren type, who's top skill is grappling, dominates superior strikers with his grappling. Like this terrible take I had to rebuke:

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT