ADVERTISEMENT

BIG TEN Pre-Seeds Announced

Iowa under Brands tends to peak at Big Tens, so I expect them to win this weekend. Cael traditionally seems to treat the Big Tens as a warmup for NCAAs. History says that Iowa will underperform at NCAAs while PSU will overperform. Iowa probably has enough scorers that they'll win it all this year (assuming no Covid positives), but this is probably their last best gasp for a while.
I wish I could say I agree, but technically their entire starting lineup could return again next year. This assuming the Iowa AD doesn’t pull a Barry Alvarez, the wrestlers want to return, and their families can afford it.

Yeah. If they all come back , I could see the hawks favorites next year too

I'm assuming Iowa brings their entire team back next year but the gap should be closed where it'll be a legitimate discussion going into NCAAs whereas it doesn't feel like one right now. Consider this:

1. One of Bartlett and/or Lee can actually game plan to be a full sized 149. That's huge because I think that allows us 2 contenders at 2 weights whereas it's pretty iffy Beau scores much right now at 149 since he's basically a 141 giving it a go.

2. Our freshman actually get a full season of experience rather than under 5 matches. Kerkvliet, Howard and Beard all battled some kind of illness/injury this year as they all missed matches. This also allows them to earn some seeds where they aren't facing AA level guys 1st round probably. Our guys are younger than Iowa and thus are inherently further from their ceilings.

3. More teams come to play in general and Iowa doesn't get a turkey shoot the first 2 rounds. As it stands now, I can see them walking 9 to the semis with plenty of bonus and getting plenty of favorable R12 matches if any of them drop there.

Let me be clear if I haven’t been. I don’t care where Kerk is seeded because he’s the “sniper” so the speak. He’s going to disrupt the apple cart. There’s a lot of people complaining that Paris, Gable and Cass shouldn’t have to face Kerk in quarters. That is why people are saying Kerk should be 13 so he can face the 4 seed right off the bat (which would be a pin for Kerk) and he wouldn’t get Gable, Paris, Cass trio in quarters. My point in all of this is you can put Kerk anywhere from 4-12 but you can’t put him behind 2 guys with 0 wins
Saying kerk, who has extremely limited folkstyle results would pin luffman is extremely silly

I have to admit I am a bit worried about Lee v Rivera in semi. I actually think Lee matches up better with Eierman...but since Nick is two seed and Seabass the 3, he will have to get by Rivera for a shot at Eierman. A few years ago Rivera beat Spenser Lee (admittedly a freshman Spenser Lee) twice including in the Big Finals. He beat RBY last year. He won this tournament twice before. I know Rutgers does not have the competition in the room that Nick is facing or the coaching, but I would be more comfortable if the duals with Iowa and Rutgers had not been canceled and Nick had a chance to face these two Earlier and make any necessary Adjustments. Nick seems on a mission this year...but he will for sure have to earn it against some very good wrestlers.
I prefer to think of the Seabass that Jack Mueller rode for like five minutes at NCAA semis. Nick Lee got the goods.

Saying kerk, who has extremely limited folkstyle results would pin luffman is extremely silly
It's not something I'd predict, but also not something I'd dismiss.

They wrestled in folk in 2017. Kerk majored Luffman and dominated every phase, including a too easy turn with a power half.

Kerk at the time was a 195 growing into 220. He's considerably more filled out now.

They wrestled in folk in 2017. Kerk majored Luffman and dominated every phase, including a too easy turn with a power half.

Kerk at the time was a 195 growing into 220. He's considerably more filled out now.

And every time he wrestles someone bigger than 232 he will be wrestling someone proportionally bigger than Bartlett gives up at 149. Most HWTs are far bigger than 232.

Kerk will wreck the brackets and Bartlett will score nicely on the assumed overachiever path.

Case and point Heinselman sitting against Lee.
Malik wasn't sitting. He was standing there in full uniform looking bewildered and embarrassed. I felt really bad for him. He definitely looked to me like he wanted to wrestle Lee. Does anyone know if he weighed in?

Reactions: ClarencButthorn
And every time he wrestles someone bigger than 232 he will be wrestling someone proportionally bigger than Bartlett gives up at 149. Most HWTs are far bigger than 232.

Cassar handled that situation pretty well.

What do Snyder, Cassar, Paris, Kerk and even Gable (to a lesser extent) have in common?

Compared to your traditional dancing bear, the best are now stronger, leaner and more athletic. Heavyweight has changed forever IMO

I wish I could say I agree, but technically their entire starting lineup could return again next year. This assuming the Iowa AD doesn’t pull a Barry Alvarez, the wrestlers want to return, and their families can afford it.
Then they go off a cliff after next year. But PSU will be very close next year even if Iowa returns everyone. I predict we have 4 or 5 finalists and at least 2 champs this year.

Cassar handled that situation pretty well.

What do Snyder, Cassar, Paris, Kerk and even Gable (to a lesser extent) have in common?

Compared to your traditional dancing bear, the best are now stronger, leaner and more athletic. Heavyweight has changed forever IMO
Exactly. And my less subtle point is Bartlett will handle 149 just fine and he will score.

I think Kerk majors Luffman at least, but seems like Luffman has improved a lot himself (I assume that may include getting bigger himself, but not sure). He lost to Gas Tank Gary 11-4 last year, so I'm not sure his past results are indicative of what may happen this year.

Malik wasn't sitting. He was standing there in full uniform looking bewildered and embarrassed. I felt really bad for him. He definitely looked to me like he wanted to wrestle Lee. Does anyone know if he weighed in?

I think that was a tri and he wrestled against Schroder, so yes.

But agree it looked like he wanted to wrestle.

If the Big Ten follows past protocol, which is very likely, we will have a number of gaps of time during the Session I first round. Below is best guess, as pins, and to a lesser degree tech falls, will speed up the bouts.

Mats to be determined. Three Penn State guys have byes.

Howard - Second round of bouts (Bout #5)
TIME GAP - About 30 minutes
Bartlett - 6th round of bouts (Bout #23)
Berge - 7th round of bouts (Bout #26)
TIME GAP likely - Guessing 10-15 minutes
Lee - 9th round of bouts (Bout #35)
Starocci - 10th round of bouts (Bout #40)
TIME GAP - Guessing about 25-30 minutes
Beard - 14th round of bouts (Bout #54)
Kerkvliet - 15th round of bouts (Bout # 60) and that will wrap up the first round.

Second round, plus first round of wrestlebacks we'll see more of our guys, as all 10 will be wrestling. Past protocol is;
Do the entire 2nd round of the championship bracket,
Then do the 19 wrestleback bouts (2 at each weight x-157, where there will be 1)

Last edited:
If the Big Ten follows past protocol, which is very likely, we will have a number of gaps of time during the Session I first round. Below is best guess, as pins, and to a lesser degree tech falls, will speed up the bouts.

Mats to be determined. Three Penn State guys have byes.

Howard - Second round of bouts (Bout #5)
TIME GAP - About 30 minutes
Bartlett - 6th round of bouts (Bout #23)
Berge - 7th round of bouts (Bout #26)
TIME GAP likely - Guessing 10-15 minutes
Lee - 9th round of bouts (Bout #35)
Starocci - 10th round of bouts (Bout #40)
TIME GAP - Guessing about 25-30 minutes
Beard - 14th round of bouts (Bout #54)
Kerkvliet - 15th round of bouts (Bout # 60) and that will wrap up the first round.

Second round, plus first round of wrestlebacks we'll see more of our guys, as all 10 will be wrestling.
Thanks Roar

Anyone have an insight into what mat Carton and Pletcher will be on?
No, lol.

But I’m surprised Rutgers isn’t going to fully showcase VanBrill’s elite wrestling skills to enter both 149 and 157. Then Van Brill will have participated in 4 Big Ten Championships.

Reactions: KCLion
No, lol.

But I’m surprised Rutgers isn’t going to fully showcase VanBrill’s elite wrestling skills to enter both 149 and 157. Then Van Brill will have participated in 4 Big Ten Championships.
Alvarez Rutgers is out at 133 can't make the weight anymore. Metzler will replace him

Luffman is on his second season as a starter in D1 im sure he has made some improvements since high school

Luffman is on his second season as a starter in D1 im sure he has made some improvements since high school
They both have. Kerk more so.

Also should note that in this year and last, Luffman 3x got packed in under one minute -- including by Zach Elam. Not including his 3:25 loss to Cass.

Like I said, I wouldn't predict it, but dismissing it is similarly folly.

Luffman has improved a ton this year honestly. He didn't qualify last year and I think he has a shot at the podium this year with the right draw and a good weekend.

I think Kerk majors Luffman at least, but seems like Luffman has improved a lot himself (I assume that may include getting bigger himself, but not sure). He lost to Gas Tank Gary 11-4 last year, so I'm not sure his past results are indicative of what may happen this year.
Luffman has improved a lot since last season. Conversely, per reports on the Ohio Wrestling board, Gas Tank Gary has regressed since last season - he's noticeably heavier and appears slower and more defensive; may not be fully healthy.

Luffman has improved a lot since last season. Conversely, per reports on the Ohio Wrestling board, Gas Tank Gary has regressed since last season - he's noticeably heavier and appears slower and more defensive; may not be fully healthy.
He should probably let some of that gas out from time to time.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
Funny stat, using points only.... PSU 2017 would have finished 3rd in last years Big Ten tournament also. They scored 130 in 2017, Nebraska scored 132 last year. Cenzo and Bo placed 3rd and Mark 2nd in the 2017 Big Ten tournament.

Later that month .... we know how that played out.

Per Willie these are changes to pre seeds, not sure if this is all of them or not.

They both have. Kerk more so.

Also should note that in this year and last, Luffman 3x got packed in under one minute -- including by Zach Elam. Not including his 3:25 loss to Cass.

Like I said, I wouldn't predict it, but dismissing it is similarly folly.
Not saying kerk isn't good, but he has only pinned two 0 win wrestlers from Maryland. Not really results that would show that he is good enough to pin luffman

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT