ADVERTISEMENT

BIG TEN Pre-Seeds Announced

First glance, good draws for Howard and Bartlett, tough draw for Beard and Starocci (Romero falls to #6??). Berge v. Coleman should be really interesting and while I was hoping for Kerk v. Cass in the quarters, the 6 seed was a little too high for 2-0 v Maryland only. I imagine the coaches meeting will shake up some of these seeds

#11 Robbie Howard (125)

1st Round Opponent: #6 Eric Barnett (WIS)
Robbie Howard’s journey starts with a match-up vs Eric Barnett of Wisconsin. Barnett is 4-2 on the year, 5-2 if you count the forfeit win at the Penn State Dual. His two losses are to #3 Heinselman by major, and #10 Cardani, his first two bouts of the year. Since then, he’s been on a tear, including pinning #7 Devin Schroder and majoring #4 Patrick McKee 17-4. His four wins are all by bonus.
This will be a good first test for Howard.

2nd Round Opponent: #3 Malik Heinselman (tOSU) OR 1st Round Wrestlebacks: #14 Zach Spence (MD)
-- Win his first match against Barnett, and Howard gets an almost-sure rematch with Heinselman. Lose and it’s a drop to wrestlebacks against the #14 seed. Howard lost to Heinselman, unable to get past the Buckeye’s defense while he pinned Spence at a dual. It is odds-against, but not outside the realm of possibility, that he’ll win his first two bouts and earn a trip to NCAA’s that way. Otherwise he will have dropped to wrestlebacks.

Next Bout: The three possibilities are; Round three of championships, or two different places in wrestlebacks round two. Opponents could be any of; the #2 Cronin/#7 Schroder winner (10%), #4 McKee/#5 Foley loser (45%), or the #13 Shawver/#12 Moran winner(45%). Huge difference here, so winning in the first round of the championship bracket, which gives him the Shawver/Moran bout, is big. If Howard is in wrestlebacks, which is more-or-less likely, he needs to win his second round wrestleback bout to guarantee a trip to St. Louis.

Edit: the above is a rewrite. More coming...

Last edited:
If it goes according to seed...

125 - Howard - 11 (Lee)
Would get Barnett - 6, then Heinselman - 3

133 - RBY - 1
Bye, then Decatur - 8, then Byrd - 4

141 - Lee - 2 (Eierman)
Bye, then D'Emilio - 7, then Rivera - 3

149 - Bartlett - 11 (Sasso)
Would get Blockhus - 6, then Parriott - 3

157 - Berge - 5 (Deakin)
Would get Mologousis - 12, then Coleman - 4

165 - Lee - 6 (Marinelli)
Would get Spadafora - 11, then Smith - 3

174 - Starocci - 3 (Kemerer)
Would get Spadafora - 14, then Romero - 6, then Labriola - 2

184 - Brooks - 1
Bye, then Braunagel - 8, then Webster - 4

197 - Beard - 7 (Schultz)
Would get Janzer - 10, then Amine - 2

285 - Kerkvliet - 7 (Steveson)
Would get Heyob - 10, then Parris - 2

First glance, good draws for Howard and Bartlett, tough draw for Beard and Starocci (Romero falls to #6??). Berge v. Coleman should be really interesting and while I was hoping for Kerk v. Cass in the quarters, the 6 seed was a little too high for 2-0 v Maryland only. I imagine the coaches meeting will shake up some of these seeds
I'll chip in $20 to convince Cael to wear a concealed camera to the seeding meeting. Anybody else in? I think most years this is a checkbox meeting for the most part. I'll bet there could be some interesting interactions this year.

If it goes according to seed EXCEPT FOR PENN ST WRESTLERS

125 - Howard - 11 (Lee)
Would get Barnett - 6, then Heinselman - 3

133 - RBY - 1
Bye, then Decatur - 8, then Byrd - 4

141 - Lee - 2 (Eierman)
Bye, then D'Emilio - 7, then Rivera - 3

149 - Bartlett - 11 (Sasso)
Would get Blockhus - 6, then Parriott - 3

157 - Berge - 5 (Deakin)
Would get Mologousis - 12, then Coleman - 4

165 - Lee - 6 (Marinelli)
Would get Spadafora - 11, then Smith - 3

174 - Starocci - 3 (Kemerer)
Would get Spadafora - 14, then Romero - 6, then Labriola - 2

184 - Brooks - 1
Bye, then Braunagel - 8, then Webster - 4

197 - Beard - 7 (Schultz)
Would get Janzer - 10, then Amine - 2

285 - Kerkvliet - 7 (Steveson)
Would get Heyob - 10, then Parris - 2
FIFY

Beard and Kerk have tough quarters matchups but even if they lose there should be able to come back and get 3rd. That's a tough road though.

Robbie Howard’s journey starts with a match-up vs Eric Barnett of Wisconsin. Barnett is 4-2 on the year, 5-2 if you count the forfeit win at the Penn State Dual. His two losses are to Heinselman by major, and Cardani, his first two bouts of the year. Since then, he’s been on a tear, including pinning Devin Schroder and majoring Patrick McKee 17-4. His four wins are all bonus.

This will be a good first test for Howard.

A write-up on each wrestler will be available later today, more detailed than above.
Thanks now I know what I will do this evening and/or tomorrow AM!

Bartlett set up for a great run from the 11. Honestly, might pick him to make the finals. If he doesn't qualify, there are no excuses there.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I'll chip in $20 to convince Cael to wear a concealed camera to the seeding meeting. Anybody else in? I think most years this is a checkbox meeting for the most part. I'll bet there could be some interesting interactions this year.

What makes you say that?

I think most of these seeds are pretty fair to PSU. The main one to me that sticks out as a potential argument to move up is Berge, maybe Beard and Lee.

What makes you say that?

I think most of these seeds are pretty fair to PSU. The main one to me that sticks out as a potential argument to move up is Berge, maybe Beard and Lee.
I don't think the statement was specific to PSU seeding. As was said in this thread, Manning is sure to go berserk re. 174. Tan Tom won't like that weight either. 125 is a mess, there will surely be fights there. Same with 149. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of but the lack of head-to-head and common opponent data, and matches generally, will lead to coach meeting madness

Roman Bravo-Young (133)

1st Round Opponent: Bye
RBY should easily win against “Bye”, who has never won a match

2nd Round Opponent: #8 Jordan Decatur (tOSU)/#9 Jacob Rundell (PUR) Winner
RBY vs Decatur I happened at a dual, a 27-8 TF by RBY. Rundell is a 3-4 freshman that owns, among his losses, a TF against DeSanto. To earn a trip to St. Louis, it’s simple – win this bout. RBY is an overwhelming favorite to do so.

Did you want him 8 or 9 and Face gable
He wasn’t getting to 6
True. If I was a PSU fan, I would have hoped he fell to the 12/13, so he goes through Lance/Luffman to the quarters.

Look at Bartlett. If he was 1 higher at 10, he would have to go through Lovett then Murin just to make the semis. Put him at the 12 and he has to go through Storr and then Thomas (who I think is one of the tougher style match ups for him). Instead, he has Blockhus and Parriott.

Whoever js8793's friend is (that's clearly a PSU fan) ... get off his account
I just love the match ups for him. I think he's straight up better than Blockhus and Parriott and I don't love the style match up for Murin, who has always struggled the most with guys who have great lateral quickness (like Red). Murin also has a dangerous quarter.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Did you want him 8 or 9 and Face gable
He wasn’t getting to 6

11 or 6 would have been optimal. After 5, none of the HWTs have done anything..Hilgers been bad this year..

That being said..whatever it is it is. He's going to have to wrestle Paris in quarter or semi, so he'll have to beat him either way if he wants to reach his goal

ADVERTISEMENT