ADVERTISEMENT

BIG TEN Pre-Seeds Announced

I just love the match ups for him. I think he's straight up better than Blockhus and Parriott and I don't love the style match up for Murin, who has always struggled the most with guys who have great lateral quickness (like Red). Murin also has a dangerous quarter.

Appreciate the analysis! We shall see, first things first, making the semis would be huge for Beau since he will "steal" a spot.

Btw - I have a feeling you guys will start really slow in the tournament. Might even be sitting in last place early on ...

#2 Nick Lee (141)
1st Round Opponent
: Bye
Lee faces the same “Bye” that shows up in every bracket. He’s really tired by the time he faces Nick.

2nd Round Opponent: #7 Dylan D’Emilio (tOSU)/#10 Cayden Rooks (IN) Winner
Lee faced D’Emilio at the Ohio State dual, winning 15-3. D’Emilio will be very good, but in his RS Freshman year he is 4-4 with a best win against #8 Drew Mattin. Rooks lost to Lee by tech fall at the dual 16-1, and his only two wins on the year are against guys ranked about 100 (Wrestlestat). Another straight-forward, simple path to St. Louis – win this bout.

Last edited:
Appreciate the analysis! We shall see, first things first, making the semis would be huge for Beau since he will "steal" a spot.

Btw - I have a feeling you guys will start really slow in the tournament. Might even be sitting in last place early on ...
Big ten coaches clearly conspiring against us by giving us such high seeds smh. We'll have a lot of ground to make up!

#2 Nick Lee (141)
1st Round Opponent
: Bye
Lee faces the same “Bye” that shows up in every bracket. He’s really tired by the time he faces Nick.

2nd Round Opponent: #7 Anthony Echemendia (tOSU)/#10 Danny Bertoni (MD) Winner
Lee faced D’Emilio at the Ohio State dual, winning 15-3. Not sure why the Buckeyes switched guys here, Echemendia will be a huge underdog. He is 4-1, but was pinned by Eierman, and didn’t wrestle anyone in the top-100 (Wrestlestat). He did beat Bertoni during the season however (8-6), a guy that Nick majored 14-2. Another straight-forward, simple path to St. Louis – win this bout.
Big10 website still lists D'Emilio as the guy.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
PSU can grab 3 titles and 5 3rds to make it close but hard to make up 50 pt gap to last year against these Hawkeyes who should be equal to their 157 pts a year ago. Howard and JLee should finish top 6 and all 10 guys advance to Nationals.

Reactions: Fatmarc and hlstone
Nice write-up. You have RBY's record off a bit. You said "RBY has looked good this season, going 5-0 with four Tech Falls and a Major." I believe he's 6-0 with 3 decisions, 1 MD, 1 TF, and 1 F.

Dag, you're right. Wonder whose Wrestlestat profile I was looking at?

Nice write-up. You have RBY's record off a bit. You said "RBY has looked good this season, going 5-0 with four Tech Falls and a Major." I believe he's 6-0 with 3 decisions, 1 MD, 1 TF, and 1 F.

Thanks, fixed, but it won't show up til a BSD publisher gets to it.

One small typo on the 125 list of seeds, you have two 7 seeds

Lol, Chef Bardy!

Fixed, but it won't show up til a BSD publisher gets to it.

We came up with Bardy from its own typo a few years ago, adopted it to the Muppets' Swedish Chef, now just beat the dead horse of a joke.

Thanks!

First, it is awesome. Great work and so quick. Thank you.

One thing is you have brackets for all weights except 174.

Reactions: diggerpup
If Kerk can get out from bottom I give him a good chance. He's unbelievably strong and is probably the quickest guy in the division.

I don't think Robbie Howard could be set up any better. Same for Bartlett.
Barlett seems as good as you could ask, but Howard's spot I hate. Barnett is good on top and if he gets by him he really had nothing for Heinsalman in the dual. Worried He may sit home for nationals.

Barlett seems as good as you could ask, but Howard's spot I hate. Barnett is good on top and if he gets by him he really had nothing for Heinsalman in the dual. Worried He may sit home for nationals.
Could be dicey. If he loses to Barnett, he'll have the loser of McKee/Foley to place and qualify. If he beats Barnett, he'll only have to beat Shawver or Moran. Very important first match. Idk how a wildcard situation would play out. Medley moving up to 133 hurts him because I'm not sure that counts as a quality win anymore.

Could be dicey. If he loses to Barnett, he'll have the loser of McKee/Foley to place and qualify. If he beats Barnett, he'll only have to beat Shawver or Moran. Very important first match. Idk how a wildcard situation would play out. Medley moving up to 133 hurts him because I'm not sure that counts as a quality win anymore.

I don't think Howard can count on a wildcard. Just needs to find his way in here. The EIWA allocations screwed Big 10 125's big time.

#12 Beau Bartlett (149)
1st Round Opponent: #6 Michael Blockus (MINN)
The path for Bartlett is identical to Howard at 125. Both are 11 seeds, though 149 has one fewer pre-allocated plus AQ slots (8 at 125, 7 at 149). Hopefully that doesn’t matter.
Blockus has had mixed success, beating #4 Thomas, #12 Scharenbrock, #10 Omania, and #14 North , while losing to Carr (replaced by #13 Kanzler, ILL, so he must be injured), #8 Van Brill, #2 Murin, and Nebraska’s back-up Hardy. I wouldn’t call Bartlett the favorite, but neither is Blockus. Let’s call it a close toss-up the talented Penn State freshman can win.

2nd Round Opponent: #3 Griffin Parriott (PUR) OR 1st Round Wrestlebacks: #14 Michael North (MD)
-- Win his first round bout above, and it’s on to wrestle Parriott. Parriott has had two close wins, Bergeland (MINN) in an “extra” bout and #8 Van Brill, both by one point. He also has two dominating wins, a major decision vs #10 Omania, and a pin vs #9 Rooks). I remember Parriott from past Big Ten’s, he’s a physical wrestler that can take you out of your game. He’s also a guy that can be beaten. If it goes this way, win and it’s on to St. Louis.
-- Lose his first round bout above, and it’ll be #14 North. North is 0-3, and is returning from injury. He hasn’t wrestled since January 16. If it goes this route, it should be a relatively easy Bartlett win.

Next Bout: The three possibilities are; Round three of championships, or two different places in wrestlebacks round two. Opponents could be any of; #2 Murin (IOWA) (20%), loser of #5 Kanen Storr (MICH)/#4 Yahya Thomas (NU) (40%) or the # 12 Drew Scharenbrock (WIS)/#13 Christian Kanzler (ILL) (40%) winner. Since winning two bouts in the championship bracket already earns an NCAA spot, I’ll pass on Murin. Storr and Thomas win more than they lose, but they win close against middle of the pack guys. They also never lose big. Expect a close bout if it goes this route – I’ll take two takedowns from Bartlett here, and predict a win.
As I said at 125, winning in the first round of championships is huge. It’s better in the early wrestleback rounds to displace the 6 seed in the championship bracket by winning than to go down into the first round of wrestlebacks after losing in the first round. To continue, Scharenbrock has a decent win against Hardy (NEB back-up to Lovett), but nothing else on his 2-5 resume which includes a loss to Luke Gardner. Kanzler is 2-3, and only wrestled “extra” bouts this year, wrestling all back-ups.

A win in round two of wrestlebacks would not be enough to earn a pre-allocated (+AQ) spot at NCAA’s as 149 gets 7, and a win only guarantees 8th. It does go a long way towards at-large selection, if it comes to that. I’ll stop here and say that a win in the second wrestleback round will earn Bartlett a spot in St. Louis.

Last edited:
I don't think Howard can count on a wildcard. Just needs to find his way in here. The EIWA allocations screwed Big 10 125's big time.

I believe 125 was like the only weight where the EIWA actually had more ranked guys than allocations (which is ironic because they were still missing Glory, Vito and Colaiocco)

Reactions: RoarLions1
The EIWA had 3 spots at 125. They were awarded to Lane, Treaster and Curry. Lane and Treaster are top-25 in the Coaches Ranking, and Curry wrestled his first 4 matches of the year, but is a solid guy, seeded #20 at last years NCAA's. I don't believe these allocations hurt us at 125.

The EIWA has two more guys that are eligible for at-large, Roes and Ryder. They are currently #31 and #32 in the Coaches Ranking. The at-large picks will come down to math. Each wrestler is compared to every other wrestler until the top-7 left standing are selected. It's now up to Howard, no excuses.

Reactions: hlstone
I was wrong about EIWAs. My bad, should do my research better. Just threw a blanket statement on them getting too many allocations on 125.

Reactions: hlstone
#12 Beau Bartlett (149)
1st Round Opponent: #6 Michael Blockus (MINN)
After Beau gets past Michael Blokus, I hope he also beats Joey Connect-Four and Stan Battleship!

200px-Blokus_board_game.jpg

I'm not too familiar with Barnett other than he's a pinner. You think Barnett is a tougher matchup for Howard than a strong and seasoned vet like Schroder or Foley? I figured he could get either of those two, Barnett or DeAugustino. I tend to think the latter two are better matchups, but who knows? In any event, Howard was going to have a tough first match regardless

Tied for last! Both IA and MD will have 0 points going into 184. The sad part is that goose egg for MD may not change all weekend.

Bartlett was at the top of my must get and I am so jazzed he is here. I think he will be one of those who raises his game to the level of his competition.

Some important data points we do have is (1) the Sasso match, and that smooth as butter takedown. Even Marky lost his first or of the gate granted not against a #2.

(2) His staying down at 141 through 1/2 the season. Cael doesn't throw around accolades for free or exagerations and he stated Bartlett thought he could win a national championship at 141 this year. That translates to me that he and Nick were at least somewhat 'close'.

Despite the jump to 149, I believe anyone will have their hands full with Beau. I have zero doubts he qualifies and had the potential to shock the tourney. Realistically he probably will rip to through wrestlebacks to a top 4 finish, learning a LOT all the way and heads into the big dance ready to make a jump.

ADVERTISEMENT