ADVERTISEMENT

"Better Call Saul" returns tomorrow night on AMC at 9:00.

No comments on the finale yet?

Looks like Jimmy is officially Saul now and his final acting job may have done it for Kim. Seems like she finally realizes that she will never be able to trust him after this.

I never really picked up on it, but Mike was also on a journey to break bad. Have we seen him kill anyone in BCS yet? Seems like killing Werner was his transition from part-time criminal to thug hit man. Surely this moment broke him a bit.

Does Gilligan round this thing off a 5 seasons like he did with BB? I think one more season can get us from the start of Saul to meeting Walter White, with hopefully some time to explore post BB Saul.
Mike was a corrupt cop in his previous life.

One could argue that Mike could have let someone else pull the trigger. But that would have potentially put him in dutch with Fring. I suppose it was either run or allow the German to be killed, and if you aren't going to run you might as well do it yourself.

Mike feels he is already damned for getting his son killed.
Mike has a code. His problem, his responsibility so he needs to solve it. If he didn't, Werner's wife would be dead too. This way he at least saved her.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Yeah, that twist came out of nowhere. I just don't have the kind of imagination you need to be able to see things like that coming.
Not out of nowhere if you watch previous episodes. I posted previously about how this banking gig bored her to tears and the cons provide excitement to her mundane life. She tried filling it with her pro-bono criminal defense gig, but that wasn't enough. It wasn't even helping others as much as the art of the deal and conning the DAs into giving them lower sentences. She even says she is good at it. Considering she has a straight arrow reputation, resources and knows the law, she is even more dangerous than Jimmy.

The difference now is that Jimmy has evolved into Saul and has lost his moral compass. She now realizes this. If Jimmy can fake his feelings for Chuck, Kim will never know if Jimmy really has feelings for her or is conning her. Jimmy is now dead and Saul has taken over. Kim likes to dabble, but Saul lives for it.

I view this a little bit differently. I think Mike has tried to escape "being bad" but cannot.

We know that he killed two cops (the cops who killed his son) in Philly.

We also know he was a Marine sniper prior to being a cop (not that this is "bad" but it means that he isn't unaccustomed to pulling the trigger).

He doesn't want to kill the German. He gets no joy in it. He argues with Fring about it. But he eventually does it because he has to.

This is, in my mind, really, really different from Jimmy (who enjoy a scam) or Walt (who enjoys being Heisenberg).
Mike knows the path he is taking and the risks. Just go back to the episode where Walt shoots him.

What we do know is that Fring trusts him even more in Breaking Bad.

Mike has a code. His problem, his responsibility so he needs to solve it. If he didn't, Werner's wife would be dead too. This way he at least saved her.
No half measures

The look on Kim's face when Jimmy howled with laughter after conning the judges was priceless. The lightbulb turned on and she didn't see Jimmy anymore, she saw Saul

Mike knows the path he is taking and the risks. Just go back to the episode where Walt shoots him.

What we do know is that Fring trusts him even more in Breaking Bad.

Fring trusting Mike even more reinforces my thought that Mike will eventually whack Lalo. Saul May have an encounter with Lalo next season that could tie in with his first appearance in BB when Walter and Jesse kidnap him and Saul blames “Ignacio” thinking they are related to Lalo. Nacho and Lalo will also have their moments in the next season.

It would be fantastic to have a prequel to better call Saul with Mike as a young cop, sorry being corrupted. Played byv the same actor without any effort to de age him.

I was a bit disappointed in this episode. Very little change or conflict for key characters and the plot didn't seem to be advanced much. They continue to find a way to make Mike a sympathetic character. The was very little new.

Not out of nowhere if you watch previous episodes. I posted previously about how this banking gig bored her to tears and the cons provide excitement to her mundane life. She tried filling it with her pro-bono criminal defense gig, but that wasn't enough. It wasn't even helping others as much as the art of the deal and conning the DAs into giving them lower sentences. She even says she is good at it. Considering she has a straight arrow reputation, resources and knows the law, she is even more dangerous than Jimmy.

The difference now is that Jimmy has evolved into Saul and has lost his moral compass. She now realizes this. If Jimmy can fake his feelings for Chuck, Kim will never know if Jimmy really has feelings for her or is conning her. Jimmy is now dead and Saul has taken over. Kim likes to dabble, but Saul lives for it.

I love the slow burn of these series.

I also love the superb acting.

Michael McKean was robbed of an emmy, and will likely be robbed of another one. His scenes with Bob Odenkirk this week seemed both cruel and heartbreaking (btw, my fiancee noted he has an amazing singing voice. I said, "Yeah, that's David St Hubbins!" she looked at me like I was crazy)

But Rhea Seehorn deserves the nod for this season. Her single tear and casual wipe during Jimmy's hearing was phenomenal, but nothing compared to her silent heartbreak when she realized Jimmy was pulling another con (jeez! even though she was part of the long con!) and she fell for it. That final shot, panning away from her, the look of hopeless loss as she realizes Jimmy McGill is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

And she has now made her bed with Saul Goodman.

Loved this week's episode...but thought the season as a whole was a bit slow.

Random question - if you're suggesting that somebody watch BB for the first time, do you suggest that they start with Saul...watch the prequel in order?

Loved this week's episode...but thought the season as a whole was a bit slow.

Random question - if you're suggesting that somebody watch BB for the first time, do you suggest that they start with Saul...watch the prequel in order?

I have seen every episode of both shows, and I agree with you about this season of BCS. To answer your question, I would suggest starting with BB. BB moves quicker and sucks you into that world in a much more engaging way than BCS. You will probably be hooked into BB within the first 3 episodes.

BCS is well-written and well-acted, but it is a very slow show in all truthfulness.

I was a bit disappointed in this episode. Very little change or conflict for key characters and the plot didn't seem to be advanced much. They continue to find a way to make Mike a sympathetic character. The was very little new.
The show isn't about sudden change. It's the gradual evolution of the characters. It was the finale of Jimmy being Saul and Mike becoming Frings number one hitman. The scene with mike realizing he has to kill Werner and then Werner realizing it was brilliant. If you didn't appreciate this episode, I'm not sure this show is for you.

The show isn't about sudden change. It's the gradual evolution of the characters. It was the finale of Jimmy being Saul and Mike becoming Frings number one hitman. The scene with mike realizing he has to kill Werner and then Werner realizing it was brilliant. If you didn't appreciate this episode, I'm not sure this show is for you.
Ok...thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to ask you what shows I should watch next time.

Seriously, I just expected more movement to cap off an excellent season. Nothing of note changed. I get the realities hitting home to mike but if he didn’t get that earlier, he is dumb. Werner, on the other hand, realizing it was the end for him and his only move was to save his wife was awesome.

I also like jimmy explaining to a teenager entitlement, like she’d get it.

Jimmy had become Saul three episodes ago and Kim knew it.

Regardless, great show but didn’t leave me hanging. There isn’t a single issue I wonder about for the next episode.

Ok...thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to ask you what shows I should watch next time.

Seriously, I just expected more movement to cap off an excellent season. Nothing of note changed. I get the realities hitting home to mike but if he didn’t get that earlier, he is dumb. Werner, on the other hand, realizing it was the end for him and his only move was to save his wife was awesome.

I also like jimmy explaining to a teenager entitlement, like she’d get it.

Jimmy had become Saul three episodes ago and Kim knew it.

Regardless, great show but didn’t leave me hanging. There isn’t a single issue I wonder about for the next episode.

What about Nacho’s story line. How will Lalo and Fring collide? How does Gus get the lab finished and when do we see Tuco, Walter, Jesse, et al? Lots left hanging. What will
happen to Kim and Jimmy? When will the twins re-appear. What about Krazy-8, Badger, & Skinny Pete?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT