ADVERTISEMENT

"Better Call Saul" returns tomorrow night on AMC at 9:00.

Am binging the first season with my wife, on Netflix. She can be particular about what we watch (I had to carefully explain that the broken legs in the third episode were an exception in what is basically a non-violent show) so this is the first time she’s watched it. It’s really quite a show, with striking characters. Beautifully filmed, also, as has been remarked upon many times here.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Thoughts on this night’s episode? I feel like I need to rewatch last season, I’m remembering the high points, but missing out on the smaller details. Too long between seasons.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Thoughts on this night’s episode? I feel like I need to rewatch last season, I’m remembering the high points, but missing out on the smaller details. Too long between seasons.
Tried to watch it on demand. But isn't available. Comcast

spoiler alert
the brother died in a house fire
Kim was in a bad car accident but she clearly survived
Jimmy and Kim are gonna have some heartbreak this season, as Jimmy drifts closer and closer to becoming Saul
You may want to give more notice on your spoiler alert. Just ruined it. Damn

thought it was a very good intro into the new season and kind of marks the spot where Jimmy and Saul start coming together. Odenkirk's slow burn was very well done. I don't think he had more than 1/2 a page of dialogue the entire episode.
Giancarlo Esposito would scare the crap out of me if he looked at me the way he looked at Nacho.

Reactions: Obliviax
Am binging the first season with my wife, on Netflix. She can be particular about what we watch (I had to carefully explain that the broken legs in the third episode were an exception in what is basically a non-violent show) so this is the first time she’s watched it. It’s really quite a show, with striking characters. Beautifully filmed, also, as has been remarked upon many times here.

I would agree with you for the first 3 seasons. I have a feeling this season is going to go very dark.
But you are right, its a great show and the cinematography is outstanding.
I would love to be a location scout for them.:)

You may want to give more notice on your spoiler alert. Just ruined it. Damn

Well in all honesty they (the producers) had no qualms about telling you the brother died in the previews. Not sure why they did that.¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Nothing else he posted was that "spoilery".

Reactions: cavic
I like this show, but it is painfully slow. The good parts are still very good, you just have to wait too long for them. I haven't stopped watching yet, but these Cinnabon scenes that add nothing (and can't lead up to anything that justifies the amount of dead time they devote to them) are maddening.

/shade

Reactions: ram2020
I think Comcast's On Demand is a day behind, meaning it should be available today.
I was looking for the previous seasons so I could review and all I could find was a 7 min something. But thanks!

I like this show, but it is painfully slow. The good parts are still very good, you just have to wait too long for them. I haven't stopped watching yet, but these Cinnabon scenes that add nothing (and can't lead up to anything that justifies the amount of dead time they devote to them) are maddening.

/shade

The Cinnabon scenes don't do anything now but if the show keeps being successful and gets to the time of Breaking Bad, which means there will be nowhere to go with it since we've already seen Breaking Bad, maybe there will be a sequel and the Cinnabon scenes will be the early part of the sequel.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

/shade

It is slow but in a good way and damn they can build tension like no one else.
The Cinnabon scenes may mean anything now but they are definitely adding up to something and I wouldn't be surprised to see them used in a Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul sequel.

Reactions: cavic
It is slow but in a good way and damn they can build tension like no one else.
The Cinnabon scenes may mean anything now but they are definitely adding up to something and I wouldn't be surprised to see them used in a Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul sequel.
totally agree. they frame a scene and create suspense out of nothing. To me, reminiscent of Hitchcock. Great music as well (my echo, my shadow and me).

Following the path of Breaking Bad, that really took two or three seasons to mature. You could feel Jimmy, after the lawyer takes blame for Chuck taking his life, turning the page. He is alone now and has nobody to please except himself. He's been screwed over when he did good so why not join them and "break bad" to become Saul?

Great review in Rolling Stone:

We already knew that the premiums only spiked because Jimmy ratted his brother out to the insurance agency in a fit of pique over the cost of his suspension, and this discovery is too much for him to handle. The thought of Chuck dying because Jimmy publicly humiliated him was bad enough, but he could always justify his actions as self-preservation, prompted by Chuck manipulating him into confessing and then destroying the tape. Had it stopped there, his brother might still be alive and returned to his beloved practice of the law. But Jimmy didn’t let it stop there, and his outing of Chuck to the insurance rep gave him no benefit other than schadenfreude.

As Jimmy comes to understand the true, and truly indefensible, reason his brother killed himself, something in him breaks. It’s the same something that has made us like him so much over these three years, the thing that has made us all dread the moment when it goes away and he becomes Saul Goodman for real. In that moment, Jimmy McGill realizes that the only way he can deal with this horrible understanding is to turn off his fundamental decency and let Howard take the blame for it all. More than ever before on this show, he is Saul Goodman, utterly untroubled by the decisions he’s made and the people he’s hurt, whistling without a care in the world as he checks the fish tank and makes coffee, just like Walter White whistled after the Drew Sharp incident. (And Kim looks just as dismayed to witness this one as Jesse was to witness that.)

Reactions: Nitt1300 and BBrown

/shade

If you think these Cinnabon scenes are leading to nothing, you have not been watching Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. It is definitely leading to something and it will be meaningful and worth while. These shows are VERY well thought out by the writers.

While some series get to the point where it appears that the writers are winging it and just trying to provide content due to the series' success, I can't think of one story line or show on Breaking Bad that didn't have meaning or purpose. I would expect nothing less from Better Call Saul

If you think these Cinnabon scenes are leading to nothing, you have not been watching Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. It is definitely leading to something and it will be meaningful and worth while. These shows are VERY well thought out by the writers.

While some series get to the point where it appears that the writers are winging it and just trying to provide content due to the series' success, I can't think of one story line or show on Breaking Bad that didn't have meaning or purpose. I would expect nothing less from Better Call Saul
Totes. When Saul left breaking bad, he did so by having a connection set up a new life for him. Kinda like a witness protection program but without the govt approval. The scene last night was Jimmy being scared because the ER attendant couldn't find his DL # or SSN. Turns out she typed in O's instead of 0's. Funny stuff as Saul soils his panties. Then, he gets paranoid about the cab driver who is from New Mexico. Awesome stuff, really.

totally agree. they frame a scene and create suspense out of nothing. To me, reminiscent of Hitchcock. Great music as well (my echo, my shadow and me).

Following the path of Breaking Bad, that really took two or three seasons to mature. You could feel Jimmy, after the lawyer takes blame for Chuck taking his life, turning the page. He is alone now and has nobody to please except himself. He's been screwed over when he did good so why not join them and "break bad" to become Saul?

We already knew that the premiums only spiked because Jimmy ratted his brother out to the insurance agency in a fit of pique over the cost of his suspension, and this discovery is too much for him to handle. The thought of Chuck dying because Jimmy publicly humiliated him was bad enough, but he could always justify his actions as self-preservation, prompted by Chuck manipulating him into confessing and then destroying the tape. Had it stopped there, his brother might still be alive and returned to his beloved practice of the law. But Jimmy didn’t let it stop there, and his outing of Chuck to the insurance rep gave him no benefit other than schadenfreude.

As Jimmy comes to understand the true, and truly indefensible, reason his brother killed himself, something in him breaks. It’s the same something that has made us like him so much over these three years, the thing that has made us all dread the moment when it goes away and he becomes Saul Goodman for real. In that moment, Jimmy McGill realizes that the only way he can deal with this horrible understanding is to turn off his fundamental decency and let Howard take the blame for it all. More than ever before on this show, he is Saul Goodman, utterly untroubled by the decisions he’s made and the people he’s hurt, whistling without a care in the world as he checks the fish tank and makes coffee, just like Walter White whistled after the Drew Sharp incident. (And Kim looks just as dismayed to witness this one as Jesse was to witness that.)

+100 on the Hitch ref.
There were a lot of instances in that in last nights episode but none more so, to me, than the Cab ride from the hospital in the opening. From the Isotopes car freshener to the way the driver kept looking at him in the rearview mirror, just so well done.
And Rolling Stone nails it. I really liked Jimmy. He tried to do the right thing somewhat on the shady side, but he still tried to do the right thing. Now its full "bad" mode and I will sorry to see Jimmy go.

Totes. When Saul left breaking bad, he did so by having a connection set up a new life for him. Kinda like a witness protection program but without the govt approval. The scene last night was Jimmy being scared because the ER attendant couldn't find his DL # or SSN. Turns out she typed in O's instead of 0's. Funny stuff as Saul soils his panties. Then, he gets paranoid about the cab driver who is from New Mexico. Awesome stuff, really.

I really thought the SS# he was giving to her was fake, it looked like he was just making up numbers at the end. LOL.

Reactions: Obliviax
I agree. When I give my SS# I give 3#-2#-4#, it seemed he gave 3#-3#-3#.
i chocked that up to the writers making sure they didn't use a real SSN. Kind of like all phone numbers used in the entertainment industry are now 555 area code. Perhaps I am wrong but, yeah, the SSN number he gave isn't a SSN.

that review nailed it for me

Reactions: Obliviax and BBrown
Just checked they have the first 3 seasons.
I've read that the new episodes will be posted to Netflix "the day after" they premier on AMC. I just checked and didn't see the new episode there yet.

I re-watched Season 1 over the past few weeks and enjoyed it all over again. Debated whether I should watch seasons 2 and 3 before jumping into the new episodes but there is no way I would wait for the new episodes.

I caught last night’s episode streaming on AMC’s site. The Netflix thing is news to me.

Yea I didn't think they would make it to Netflix that quickly so I am somewhat skeptical.
That and I just looked and it says "seasons 3", I didnt' see anything about the latest episode on Netflix.

Yea I didn't think they would make it to Netflix that quickly so I am somewhat skeptical.
That and I just looked and it says "seasons 3", I didnt' see anything about the latest episode on Netflix.
ok, but what did you think of the next show that aired? About the lodge? I am still pondering this one.

Checking into this more, it looks like the day after broadcast availability on Netflix is not for the US. Here's a web site that says that the episodes are posted the day after in regions where the show is included as "original programming" (like the UK, Canada and Australia). It isn't expected on Netflix here in the US for a while. Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/better-call-saul-season-4-netflix-release-schedule-uk-us/

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT