ADVERTISEMENT

Bet the Dallas kicker wishes

Obviously, he’s been paid a lot of money to blow these kicks to alter the point spread.

7 TD’s.

1 extra point kick made.

Crazy!
The irony is the Cowboys played a game earlier this year where Maher kicked a 60 yard FG at the end of the first half. For reasons I didn’t understand, they decided to review the previous play AFTER he made the kick. In any event, after the play was reviewed he made the 60 yarder a second time. Go figure

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I believe Dallas is stuck with him throughout the playoffs, right? They can't alter their roster unless there is an injury, IIFC.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Ha ha - No way Dallas makes the superbowl - they aren't that good.
I suspect Dallas tanked the last gave of the year so they could play Tampa, the worst team in the playoffs. The three worst teams still in the hunt are the Jags, Giants and Cowboys. I think all three of them get eliminated this weekend. I am not sure why the NFL had the Cowboys playing on Monday night and then have to play the 49ers on a short week. An extra night of sleep is huge at this point. It will be fun to watch Parsons against all of those weapons the 49ers have. But I just don't see the Cowboys being able to keep up.

I suspect Dallas tanked the last gave of the year so they could play Tampa, the worst team in the playoffs. The three worst teams still in the hunt are the Jags, Giants and Cowboys. I think all three of them get eliminated this weekend. I am not sure why the NFL had the Cowboys playing on Monday night and then have to play the 49ers on a short week. An extra night of sleep is huge at this point. It will be fun to watch Parsons against all of those weapons the 49ers have. But I just don't see the Cowboys being able to keep up.
There would have been zero reason for Dallas to lose week 18 so that they could play Tampa.

If Dallas won they still would have played Tampa. I think you're underestimating Daboll and the Giants personally. Eagles may win but that will be a war. I do think the Niners and KC should win relatively easy especially KC.

Exactly. My god.
teams lose games on purpose all the time. This was discussed, actually, on a national level.

PointedAdolescentBigmouthbass-size_restricted.gif

teams lose games on purpose all the time. This was discussed, actually, on a national level.

Teams might lose if there is a benefit to the loss…there were no benefits to a Dallas loss….it just cost them a chance at the top seed (or home game and better seed).

Last edited:
Teams might lose if there is a benefit to the loss…there were no benefits to a Dallas loss….it just cost them a chance at the top seed (or home game and better seed).
top seed isn't great if you have to play a more difficult opponent. Tampa ended the season 8-9. If they won, they'd have played either the Eagles (14-3 and arguably the best team in the NFC) or the 13-4 Vikings (who aren't great but had 5 more wins than Tampa).

here is ANOTHER article discussing this option. there are many more. I overheard it, first, on a nationally syndicated sports talk show but can't remember which one).

top seed isn't great if you have to play a more difficult opponent. Tampa ended the season 8-9. If they won, they'd have played either the Eagles (14-3 and arguably the best team in the NFC) or the 13-4 Vikings (who aren't great but had 5 more wins than Tampa).

here is ANOTHER article discussing this option. there are many more. I overheard it, first, on a nationally syndicated sports talk show but can't remember which one).

I’ve never seen an easier opponent than “bye”.

And there is no scenario where Dallas would have played those teams last weekend.

Top seed is a bye.

Yes teams have thrown games that's not one that made sense to throw

And there is no scenario where Dallas would have played those teams last weekend.
Correct, even in a scenario where Dallas wins the division but SF or MIN got the bye, Dallas would host a home playoff game against Seattle or NYG. And then would have have a way bigger chance of getting the home field in the Divisional playoffs.

they had almost no chance at a bye. The game was played at 4:30 on Sunday. The only meaningful game to Dallas was the Giants vs Philly game. But that game didn't make a difference to who Dallas would play in the first round. A win and they'd have played the 4 loss Vikings and a loss meant they'd play the 8 loss Bucs.

In those cases where a win provides no benefit for a team, they will rest their starters. Dallas did not do that.

It’s absurd to think they would instead play their starters and have them perform poorly on purpose. That risks injuries. And game fixing is against the NFL rules and would get players suspended and draft picks forfeited if caught.

In those cases where a win provides no benefit for a team, they will rest their starters. Dallas did not do that.

It’s absurd to think they would instead play their starters and have them perform poorly on purpose. That risks injuries. And game fixing is against the NFL rules and would get players suspended and draft picks forfeited if caught.
I appreciate your opinion. That doesn't mean that these things don't happen. In fact, teams tank games all the time.

they had almost no chance at a bye. The game was played at 4:30 on Sunday. The only meaningful game to Dallas was the Giants vs Philly game. But that game didn't make a difference to who Dallas would play in the first round. A win and they'd have played the 4 loss Vikings and a loss meant they'd play the 8 loss Bucs.

Vikings were the #3 seed, that meant they would play the #6 seed (the 9-7-1 Giants). Dallas went 12-5 and secured the #5 seed. How would have Dallas slipped to the #6 seed if they won and went 13-4?

The article you cited was written two weeks before the end of the season when Washington's playoff hopes were still alive. Washington was eliminated after week 17 and before their finale against Dallas.

Could you provide an example of a NFL team tanking a game that did NOT involve the team resting their starters.
Can you point me to a database that has that kind of information?

Benching your starters is a clear sign you are tanking. Perhaps they didn't want to send that message to TB Bucs or the NFL or their fans.

Can you point me to a database that has that kind of information?
Pro-Football-Reference contains box scores for all NFL games since 1957 I believe.

But you are the one who made the claim. You stated teams "lose games on purpose all the time" and suggested Dallas did that against Washington. I am well aware teams with nothing to play for will often rest their starters the final week of the season, but Dallas did not do that. I am simply asking if there was ever any situation where an NFL Team tanked a game by having its players intentionally play poorly, which you seem to be implying Dallas did.

Pro-Football-Reference contains box scores for all NFL games since 1957 I believe.

But you are the one who made the claim. You stated teams "lose games on purpose all the time" and suggested Dallas did that against Washington. I am well aware teams with nothing to play for will often rest their starters the final week of the season, but Dallas did not do that. I am simply asking if there was ever any situation where an NFL Team tanked a game by having its players intentionally play poorly, which you seem to be implying Dallas did.
I didn't make a claim. I speculated that this could have been a motivation. I linked two articles, written before the game, that speculated the same. I also noted, correctly, that the timing of the game made the scenario to play the worst team in the playoffs (at least, by record, and one of the only teams to ever make the NFL playoffs with a losing record).

You are making the claim they didn't. You should prove that claim.

Once philly beat the giants Dallas was playing Tampa no matter what. They were already locked into 5th seed

Once philly beat the giants Dallas was playing Tampa no matter what. They were already locked into 5th seed
Fair enough...I am sure that they knew but probably didn't have time to meet/talk as a team about it. It will also add reasoning why they tanked the game. Who cares, right? They sure picked an odd time to play, by far, their worst game of the year.

Fair enough...I am sure that they knew but probably didn't have time to meet/talk as a team about it. It will also add reasoning why they tanked the game. Who cares, right? They sure picked an odd time to play, by far, their worst game of the year.
I will acknowledge that they may not have been as motivated or fired up after realizing their game didn't matter, but that's different than tanking. I would think Dak cares enough about his stats to not purposely complete only 37% of his passes.

I don’t think they tanked. Just were flat having nothing to play for and played shitty. It happens.

Reactions: RussianEagle
I will acknowledge that they may not have been as motivated or fired up after realizing their game didn't matter, but that's different than tanking. I would think Dak cares enough about his stats to not purposely complete only 37% of his passes.
fair enough. If I was a player, I couldn't care less about my personal stats as long as I am making my prerequisite contribution. That also means no sack dances!

Heading into the game, Dallas still had a lot to play for...they could have been the #1 seed, and thus got a bye had San Fran and Philly both lost...and even just Philly losing could have moved them to the #2 seed and a home game against the 7th seed (certainly an easier spot than a road game at Tampa), not to mention then getting another home game the following week.

There was zero incentive whatsoever for Dallas to tank that game. And if there was, it certainly wouldn't have been with all of their starters taking a pounding all game long.

Reactions: RussianEagle

Vikes suck too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT