ADVERTISEMENT

Best rivalry in all of sports?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I just heard Urban Meyer refer to tOSU vs Michigan as the greatest rivalry in sports. I guess I could give him the benefit of the doubt because his perspective is from inside the rivalry. I kind of think this is an arrogant statement, trying to make tOSU and Michigan more important than everyone else. This isn’t to say that it’s not in the conversation for best rivalry...

Some of the other great college rivalries I can think of include: Texas/Oklahoma, Alabama/Auburn, USC/UCLA... I’m sure that there are many more that are worth considering. For my money, however, I think the best rivalry in college sports is Army vs Navy.

In your opinion, what is the best rivalry in college sports?

I just heard Urban Meyer refer to tOSU vs Michigan as the greatest rivalry in sports. I guess I could give him the benefit of the doubt because his perspective is from inside the rivalry. I kind of think this is an arrogant statement, trying to make tOSU and Michigan more important than everyone else. This isn’t to say that it’s not in the conversation for best rivalry...

Some of the other great college rivalries I can think of include: Texas/Oklahoma, Alabama/Auburn, USC/UCLA... I’m sure that there are many more that are worth considering. For my money, however, I think the best rivalry in college sports is Army vs Navy.

For me it will always be Army/Navy.

I would say that the three most noted are Bama-Auburn, Ohio State Michigan, and UNC Duke,

The greatest rivalry hands down is Army Navy, two teams battling it out and then shaking hands. The post game singing of each school's song is my favorite moment in sports with the post game handshake in the Stanley Cup second.

Lehigh-Lafayette deserves honorable mention along with Harvard and Yale too.

Translation of urban's comment:

"To the playoff committee, including my boss gene smith, please ignore our two blowout losses and realize that we will have won the biggest rivalry game in the universe after we beat michigan."

I’d say the Iron Bowl is the biggest just because the fans on either end of it have legitimate hate for each other. Meatchicken and tosu is kind of contrived imo....the 2 schools need each other because for years they were the only good teams they played before going out west to get their butts kicked by USC. It’s a bromance that fans play up to be more than it is.

Doesn't a rivalry have to be competitive? Since UM can't beat OSU it's become more like a rivalry between Ohio State and Cincy or Ball State. Outside of UM and OSU fans, no one cares anymore.

I’d say the Iron Bowl is the biggest just because the fans on either end of it have legitimate hate for each other. Meatchicken and tosu is kind of contrived imo....the 2 schools need each other because for years they were the only good teams they played before going out west to get their butts kicked by USC. It’s a bromance that fans play up to be more than it is.

I agree. Alabama vs Auburn is a much better and totally bitter rivalry. Even the FSU vs Miami game has been more of a bitter rivalry with more on the line the past 30 years than OSU/ mich.

Reactions: nits74
Army Navy I feel like has its own column. Then I believe it is Auburn Alabama. A fan literally shot an opposing fan in the last week. If that isn’t hatred I don’t know what is.

Reactions: We Are . . .
One of the criterion has to be that the result of the rivalry means something to the league in which it is being played.

Army-Navy has been inconsequential on the big scene of college football for decades.

Great tradition, no doubt.

Reactions: john4psu
One of the criterion has to be that the result of the rivalry means something to the league in which it is being played.

Army-Navy has been inconsequential on the big scene of college football for decades.

Great tradition, no doubt.
The only thing OSU-UM means to the league is another win for OSU, much like OSU-Rutgers.

For absolute hate between the fan bases. - Flyers/Pens.

Worst rivalry in sports - Bengals/Browns.

Best in football in terms of quality of participants, fan animosity, I agree with others here - Iron Bowl.

Reactions: Gnat91

That’s the Big 10 opinion and why they have done their best to make sure OSU and UM have the fewest losses possible going into that game.

If OSU - UM was 'all that' then the game would have a widely known nickname just like the Iron Bowl, The Game, the Cocktail Party, and the Red River Shootout

If OSU - UM was 'all that' then the game would have a widely known nickname just like the Iron Bowl, The Game, the Cocktail Party, and the Red River Shootout
The Outdated Bowl? It used to be relevant, much like the Detroit Lions still playing every year on Thanksgiving...no one cares anymore.

Reactions: Keyser Soze 16801
OSU vs Mich never felt like a big rivalry to may. Maybe the cult of personalities, Bo vs Woody made it bigger to the Midwest media.

It seemed about as intense as Cal Stanford, with the winner going on to lose the Rose Bowl and the loser some lesser Bowl for their bowl loss.

Reactions: Option Bob
It's Army/Navy for me as well but Urban is just doing his job--selling his program. Just like when Franklin oversells aspects of our program. Doesn't every coach? This board is going to be a trainwreck if Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Really hoping Wisconsin wins that game but, if not, I'm pretty convinced Ohio State is in at this point.

Reactions: We Are . . .
While I’m not defending the argument that tOSU/Michigan is the best rivalry, I don’t know that having a nickname is the deciding factor.

For absolute hate between the fan bases. - Flyers/Pens.

Worst rivalry in sports - Bengals/Browns.

Best in football in terms of quality of participants, fan animosity, I agree with others here - Iron Bowl.
Absolute hate - Celtic v Rangers. Flyers/Pens no comparison

They dont sound like college teams, at least not American colleges.

Ah, you could be right. I was replying to the thread title and skimmed over much of the post beyond the first sentence.

I don’t think Yankees-Red Sox or Pens-Flyers are college rivalries either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT