ADVERTISEMENT

Best rivalry in all of sports?

Ah, you could be right. I was replying to the thread title and skimmed over much of the post beyond the first sentence.

I don’t think Yankees-Red Sox or Pens-Flyers are college rivalries either.
I pointed out the Yankees Red Sox post, but didn’t see Pens/Flyers

Can truly say I don't know anyone who watches or has ever watched the Army - Navy game. Not top level football
Why does a great rivalry have to be top level? Meatchicken and tosu are not top level compared to professional teams, and yet they play the supposed best rivalry game?? Take off your red and silver glasses and look around once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
When the Celtics play the rangers, do they play or ?
It is for the inter-sports title of North America, special rules edition - basketball on skates! Lundqvist is deadly from the corner!!

I didn’t extend my scope to Europe, when I went most hate - Flyers/Pens.

Soccer is it’s own animal across the pond. And wasn’t Rangers relegated due to financial issues? My memory is vague there. You could go Roma/Lazio, United/City, United/Liverpool, United/anyone. . .

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
It is for the inter-sports title of North America, special rules edition - basketball on skates! Lundqvist is deadly from the corner!!

I didn’t extend my scope to Europe, when I went most hate - Flyers/Pens.

Soccer is it’s own animal across the pond. And wasn’t Rangers relegated due to financial issues? My memory is vague there. You could go Roma/Lazio, United/City, United/Liverpool, United/anyone. . .
This is a question about college sports rivalries

It’s not a long time rivalry like Army-Navy.....and it’s very very often one-sided.....but the Big 10(14) Officiating vs. Penn State ranks right up there.

Army-Navy has perhaps lost some of its national attention over the years, but the respect both institutions have for each other is something special.

UMich-tOSU? Not many people outside of Michigan and Ohio have ever cared much about this game / rivalry.

Sorry.... It's Ali-Frazier....nothing even comes close. 2 guys that would have chosen death as opposed to losing to the other.

Army-Navy. I became a Navy fan when I was about 4-5 years old. For years, it was played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Our expanded family gathered for several days at my grandma/grandpa's house for the Thanksgiving holiday. On that Saturday afternoon in 1950 or 1951, I was standing in the living room with my aunt and uncle (they were in the army in WWII, with my aunt being a nurse in Patton's Army) when the game came on. My uncle declared that he and his wife were rooting for Army; and, he assigned me Navy as my team. I've been to the last four Army-Navy games; but, I'm not going this year. I've seen a total of six games over the years; and, Navy has a 4-2 record.

Army-Navy. I became a Navy fan when I was about 4-5 years old. For years, it was played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Our expanded family gathered for several days at my grandma/grandpa's house for the Thanksgiving holiday. On that Saturday afternoon in 1950 or 1951, I was standing in the living room with my aunt and uncle (they were in the army in WWII, with my aunt being a nurse in Patton's Army) when the game came on. My uncle declared that he and his wife were rooting for Army; and, he assigned me Navy as my team. I've been to the last four Army-Navy games; but, I'm not going this year. I've seen a total of six games over the years; and, Navy has a 4-2 record.
I don’t have any connections for tickets, and tickets on stubhub are outrageous... I’m hoping to find face value tickets outside the stadium, as it’s time to cross this game off of my bucket list.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
How is this even a debate?

LandGrantTrophy-2.0.jpg

I used to think flyers pens, then I moved to North Carolina. HANDS DOWN it's Duke UNC basketball. TRUE STORY, I was at food lion one day in june i think? maybe july? I had my Duke hat on. I walked around the corner to the freezer section, and a little old lady maybe 80 years old at the youngest? looked at me, looked at my hat, then looked me directly in the eyes and mumbled under her breath "a$$hole..." while she rolled her eyes. This was in June/July, nowhere CLOSE to the basketball season. The hatred is LEGIT

Reactions: Nitwit
UNC/Duke rivalry overrated since UNC cheated all those years to keep players eligible.

Army-Navy, without question (in all seriousness). Two teams of young men playing the game for the love of the game, all of whom are the epitome of student-athletes. Players that will go on to serve this great nation, ensuring our freedom, so that those of us posting here can do so from the comfort of our homes. And oh by the way, Army is 8-3 this year, Navy 6-4 - not bad.

Slightly biased. Grandfather (and 3 of his brothers) fought in WW2; Dad is a 20+ year Army vet. Brother attended West Point but, oddly enough, is now a 25+ year Naval officer. When he was at West Point, the academies decided to play a lightweight football game in Pottsville, PA. Since we lived relatively close by, my parents took me; great memory. A contingent of cadets and midshipmen marched into the stadium and cheered like it was the Rose Bowl. Have been a fan ever since.

Reactions: Bemeke
It’s not a long time rivalry like Army-Navy.....and it’s very very often one-sided.....but the Big 10(14) Officiating vs. Penn State ranks right up there.

Army-Navy has perhaps lost some of its national attention over the years, but the respect both institutions have for each other is something special.

UMich-tOSU? Not many people outside of Michigan and Ohio have ever cared much about this game / rivalry.
Does PSU have a rival? Asking for a friend.

I thought in a rivalry both teams go back and forth trading off wins. What is Michigans record vs OSU in the 2000s? 1-15?

Reactions: Nitwit97
I just heard Urban Meyer refer to tOSU vs Michigan as the greatest rivalry in sports. I guess I could give him the benefit of the doubt because his perspective is from inside the rivalry. I kind of think this is an arrogant statement, trying to make tOSU and Michigan more important than everyone else. This isn’t to say that it’s not in the conversation for best rivalry...

Some of the other great college rivalries I can think of include: Texas/Oklahoma, Alabama/Auburn, USC/UCLA... I’m sure that there are many more that are worth considering. For my money, however, I think the best rivalry in college sports is Army vs Navy.

In your opinion, what is the best rivalry in college sports?
It's definitely Army / Navy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT