ADVERTISEMENT

Beard to PSU

I took Clarion's comment to mean Joe likely wont move up a bunch in the rankings if he is not wrestling other HS wrestlers, not that the year with the NLWC will hurt his development.
He will wrestle HS kids this summer and probably enter opens this year. Although he will be removed from the weight rankings he will remain in the recruiting rankings and will go up IMO. He already has posted a revenge win over David Carr since the last rankings were published.

Clairon, I'm not going to agree or disagree with you. After watching all of his matches at our state championships this past year, there is nobody in Indiana that could give him a competitive match next year. He beat Noah Warren (state ranked #2 guy whom many felt would give Joe a close match) 19-5 in the finals. The match wasn't even that close!

If you won't disagree, I will (respectfully). While the lack of competitive matches may not be ideal, Lee will develop and improve more by training at the NLWC than by staying in Indiana for his senior season. And I suspect the degree of improvement between the two situations is not that close. That development is a lot more important than any Flo or Intermat ranking.

Reactions: rlmpsucpa
SIAP. According to BSD, Flo 2018 P4P has:
#2 Gavin
#3 RBY
#4 Whittlake
#5 Beard
#10 Neville
#37 J Lee

Holy smokes, I've never seen a more impressive recruiting haul....in any sport

If we assumed that all these guys redshirted, you are looking at squeezing all of this goodness into the 2019-2020 line-up:

Suriano, Gavin, RBY, N Lee, J Lee, Manville, Verkleeren, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Whittlake, Beard, Nevilles...

Unreal!! Scary part is, 2018 is considered a strong class and we just killed it.

If we assumed that all these guys redshirted, you are looking at squeezing all of this goodness into the 2019-2020 line-up:

Suriano, Gavin, RBY, N Lee, J Lee, Manville, Verkleeren, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Whittlake, Beard, Nevilles...

Unreal!! Scary part is, 2018 is considered a strong class and we just killed it.

The NCAA should consider adding a couple of weights ;)

Reactions: liex26 and SRATH

Some of these guys (e.g., Teasdale/RBY and Manville/Hall) may alternate RS years to alleviate the log jam(s) at least a little bit. But most of the guys you list slot in pretty nicely, particularly at the upper weights. A couple of the middle weights will be crowded with Nick Lee, Verk, Berge, Joe Lee, and maybe Manville. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Cael has not yet been at Penn State, for a decade and this is now the third once in a lifetime recruiting class, that after they are gone, Penn State will come back to the pack.
We are so fortunate to have such a great recruiter in Cael. Just imagine how great we'd be if he'd know how to coach.;) :confused:

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I took Clarion's comment to mean Joe likely wont move up a bunch in the rankings if he is not wrestling other HS wrestlers, not that the year with the NLWC will hurt his development.

I did too and I agree with that.

On HR, someone rah rah'd: "[PSU] can only wrestle 10".

In other words, "It could be worse; we could have to wrestle PSU's bench guys, too." This PSU All-Star Team thing is getting ridiculous.

On HR, someone rah rah'd: "[PSU] can only wrestle 10".

In other words, "It could be worse; we could have to wrestle PSU's bench guys, too." This PSU All-Star Team thing is getting ridiculous.
I think we should wrestle all duals as tag-team matches!;)

Reactions: therod

With 2020 being an Olympic year, I wonder if some will opt for an Oly shirt. Manville and Hall come to mind.

I couldn't agree more at this point. I know everything points to a new contract but, as in business, all is not concluded until concluded with a signed contract. I know, wet blanket. Sorry!!
Good point!
It's to the point where Cael would be hard-pressed to leave for a new coaching spot lest he get hammered by his old team.

Getting beard has nothing to do with RBY who may be coming this summer....That is from a great source....

Hold on there, pardner. It's only about a 60 pound difference between the two, and about 2,300 miles between these two young men. Where did you get the crazy idea that getting one has nothing to do with the other? :confused:

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I remember Cael being quoted as saying the national championship will go through Penn State. I read that to mean at every weight class, and my take is that if you can win wrestle-offs in the PSU room you will be competing for the national championship at the end of the year. I'm sure every big program wants that, but Penn State is getting to that point now.

Cael is building more than just the top college wrestling team. He is in the process of building the NLWC into the top training center as well.

He's not going to walk away now.

BTW, according to Intermat we now have the #2 Nevills, #3 Whittlake, #4 Teasdale, #5 RBY, #6 Beard & #16 Lee recruits in this class. FLO a little different with 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 37 but as posted above Lee will likely get a boost there this year.

Incredible, five of the top 6 according to Intermat.

Reactions: diggerpup
Cael's not going anywhere, we all (maybe not all!!) know that negotiations are, at the end, a mutual agreement. This coaching staff has earned some leverage in the matter, and he said himself it's for the betterment of the program. #notconcernedatall
Very much agree Roar. With or without an agreement in place, if one party doesn't wish to continue, then there will be a change if enough money is brought to bear on the situation. I sense both parties getting closer, not further away.

That said, I don't even think twice about this issue, and scratch my head as to why others do. I saw a clearly pleased Sandy Barbour glowing and basking in the positive light being shown on PSU at nationals. Cael ain't going anywhere.

I remember Cael being quoted as saying the national championship will go through Penn State. I read that to mean at every weight class, and my take is that if you can win wrestle-offs in the PSU room you will be competing for the national championship at the end of the year. I'm sure every big program wants that, but Penn State is getting to that point now.
His ultimate goal will always be to have 10 National Champions...We would have had 6 with a healthy Nick S. this year....

I mean I hate to say it like this, but is there anything else we need in this potential lineup?

Cael's not going anywhere, we all (maybe not all!!) know that negotiations are, at the end, a mutual agreement. This coaching staff has earned some leverage in the matter, and he said himself it's for the betterment of the program. #notconcernedatall
Thanks Roar you are always the voice of reason. I'm stepping away from the ledge right now!!

Reactions: hlstone
If you won't disagree, I will (respectfully). While the lack of competitive matches may not be ideal, Lee will develop and improve more by training at the NLWC than by staying in Indiana for his senior season. And I suspect the degree of improvement between the two situations is not that close. That development is a lot more important than any Flo or Intermat ranking.
I believe that is the point Bruce. Lee will develop much faster with NLWC than beating up on HS Kids. The ranking mean nothing to Joe IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT