ADVERTISEMENT

Beard to PSU

Or the same source that told him Iowa wrestlers don't go to class, just ask All-Academic B10 Mike Kemerer.
Lol...Awesome El...Man i am so pumped i have 4 guys coming over to have a little party...This is awesome....

From Hoffman shortly after the Beard news on Twitter...

"God has a plan"

May have nothing to do with the news but he rarely tweets and this came within less than an hour of the Beard news. I wonder if he was close and this just directed him elsewhere...
PSU wanted Beard...If they didn't get him Hoffman was coming....Hence: God has a plan....He is a good wrestler too and i am sure he will end up in a decent program soon now....

If Suriano and Beard routinely beat their Iowa counterparts what does that do to the HR theory that Cael can't coach and the Brands boys are the coaching/development gurus. Dang, that would be the final nail into their collective rationalized reality.

The first will happen and the second won't. If the last 7 years have taught me anything, it is that the HR folks will create a new strawman argument that will eventually be disproved. Then, they will invent another. Facing reality is much harder than making stuff up.

Wooohooo. Congrats and welcome Michael!!

To borrow a phrase from Coach Franklin, 'we're going to dominate the state' :)

The first will happen and the second won't. If the last 7 years have taught me anything, it is that the HR folks will create a new strawman argument that will eventually be disproved. Then, they will invent another. Facing reality is much harder than making stuff up.
Probably right.
I was chuckling to myself. They have the thread about Perry being a game changer. The recruiting class of 2018 is what a game continuation looks like.

Reactions: Grass and diggerpup
tjb, I commend you for how you've handled this. You've given us a few snippets on his recruitment, but it seemed clear to me that you were not attempting to run the show, or even exert influence, on Michael.

Looks as though you'll have a greater interest in using your PSU tickets over the coming years.

Thanks. Sorry I couldn't tell you more, but I want my kids to have that moment when they announce. I would never want to leak information of where they are going before they announce. Very proud of him and yes my four tickets just became more valuable.

SIAP. According to BSD, Flo 2018 P4P has:
#2 Gavin
#3 RBY
#4 Whittlake
#5 Beard
#10 Neville
#37 J Lee

Holy smokes, I've never seen a more impressive recruiting haul....in any sport
I think it will end up with 5 in the top 8 and Lee sneaks in the top 20.

SIAP. According to BSD, Flo 2018 P4P has:
#2 Gavin
#3 RBY
#4 Whittlake
#5 Beard
#10 Neville
#37 J Lee

Holy smokes, I've never seen a more impressive recruiting haul....in any sport
5 top-10 P4Ps!

For comparison, does anyone remember whether the 3 Ns plus Marsteller and Haines were all top-10 P4Ps?

In any event, it's unbelievable to me that that 3-Ns class might be rivaled so soon!

Last edited:
First Zain and the Magic Man man both dominate. Does anyone think Zain is going to be able to use his go to move on the senior level. ( I think its called a crossbow) But he looked good. DT looked like he is from another world. The man is scary good.

Then the Michael Beard Show is coming to Happy Valley....Can the day get any better?

Reactions: Creek Side
I think it will end up with 5 in the top 8 and Lee sneaks in the top 20.

^ this. I think JLee is under valued and with a year in the room and a few big matches on the FS circuit he jumps big time.

either way 4 top 5 and 5 top 10 with 6 in the top 40 has to be one of the best wrestling classes ever. its rivals kentucky basketball hauls of the Calipari years.

Thinking the same thing regarding Joe Lee, he looked darn good at Jr. Nationals. He is physically impressive for his age but has a lot of room to grow technique wise. Expect to see him move up the rankings his senior year.

Beard is a fantastic pickup and should hit the ground running at 197. The fact a guy as talented as Hoffman was the contingent plan shows just how crazy good this recruiting class is.

5 top-10 P4Ps!

For comparison, does anyone remember whether the 3 Ns plus Marsteller and Haines were all top-10 P4Ps?

In any event, it's unbelievable to me that that 3-Ns class might be rivaled so soon!

Not sure about the Flo P4P, but here's the 2014 rankings according to the D1CW site:

#2 Chance M
#4 Jason
#5 Nevills
#7 Nickal
#9 Haines

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2014.html

Reactions: Dogwelder
In their recruit ranking list, they took Penn State out as his commitment school that is now blank.

Does Josh Lowe know something we don't or is this wishful thinking by an OSU fan?
Lowe corrected the article to include RBY.

Usually the simplest answer is the right one, so I'm going with: his records are wrong.

In any case, see the RBY tweet I posted above.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
The thing is, Penn State was listed as his school up until very recently in his recruiting rankings. I saw the article was amended to include Bravo-Young's however his school commitment is still blank in the individual rankings. Now maybe he just didn't get around to adding PSU back in but why in the world would he have pulled them out to begin with without something concrete?

Thanks. Sorry I couldn't tell you more, but I want my kids to have that moment when they announce. I would never want to leak information of where they are going before they announce. Very proud of him and yes my four tickets just became more valuable.

Congrats, coach, and welcome Michael!!

The thing is, Penn State was listed as his school up until very recently in his recruiting rankings. I saw the article was amended to include Bravo-Young's however his school commitment is still blank in the individual rankings. Now maybe he just didn't get around to adding PSU back in but why in the world would he have pulled them out to begin with without something concrete?
RBY is listed as a PSU commitment in the 132lb rankings, not sure where you are seeing a blank in the commitment space.

Their recruiting rankings; it's behind the paywall. Penn State was listed up until very recently.

Not being an alarmist here, just making an observation.

I think skipping a competitive sr year may hurt Lee but he is already made up how mind.

Clairon, I'm not going to agree or disagree with you. After watching all of his matches at our state championships this past year, there is nobody in Indiana that could give him a competitive match next year. He beat Noah Warren (state ranked #2 guy whom many felt would give Joe a close match) 19-5 in the finals. The match wasn't even that close!

Great news!!! Being from our area and having had him at our tournament a few times I have followed him closely. Thought we missed out when he committed to Northwestern and was bummed because he is a special talent although Northwestern is a great school. Young for his grade so plenty of time to grow into a full monster 197, he has a great frame.

His top game is very rare for an upper weight and he is made for NCAA wrestling. Great student by all accounts, great character kid, tremendous pick up.

If I had to pick one HS kid in the country at an upper weight - taking Gable out of the equation because 285s are unique - I'd pick him. Over Singletary, Berge, Warner, Labriola, Whittlake - yeah, I would take Beard. Not sure that Berge counts as an upperweight but just including him to make my point even stronger.

BTW, according to Intermat we now have the #2 Nevills, #3 Whittlake, #4 Teasdale, #5 RBY, #6 Beard & #16 Lee recruits in this class. FLO a little different with 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 37 but as posted above Lee will likely get a boost there this year.

I took Clarion's comment to mean Joe likely wont move up a bunch in the rankings if he is not wrestling other HS wrestlers, not that the year with the NLWC will hurt his development.

ADVERTISEMENT