ADVERTISEMENT

Beard to PSU

QLGOr.gif

Glad you guys are excited. In the beginning, other colleges were showing him more interest. He realized he committed too early and really thought long and hard about this before making a final decision. He would go back and forth with where he wanted to go. Despite myself and fellow coach both wrestling for PSU, we did not steer him to PSU. We believed he had three good options in NW, Cornell, and PSU to exceed as a student athlete. When it came down to it, he wanted his family to see him wrestle. The fact that his older brother is already on the swim team and his former Malvern teammate is on the PSU wrestling team helps with his transition to college. He wants to win multiple NCs and feels PSU will help him achieve this goal. I hope you guys enjoy watching him as much as I have enjoyed coaching him since he was 9 years old. #WeAre

Glad you guys are excited. In the beginning, other colleges were showing him more interest. He realized he committed too early and really thought long and hard about this before making a final decision. He would go back and forth with where he wanted to go. Despite myself and fellow coach both wrestling for PSU, we did not steer him to PSU. We believed he had three good options in NW, Cornell, and PSU to exceed as a student athlete. When it came down to it, he wanted his family to see him wrestle. The fact that his older brother is already on the swim team and his former Malvern teammate is on the PSU wrestling team helps with his transition to college. He wants to win multiple NCs and feels PSU will help him achieve this goal. I hope you guys enjoy watching him as much as I have enjoyed coaching him since he was 9 years old. #WeAre

Lots of love for keeping us posted these past couple of years and pulling back the curtain a little.

Excellent news!

The 2018 recruiting class is shaping up to be a crazy good class for PSU.

Using Flo's rankings, here's a look at the class:

a. Gavin Teasdale
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 126, behind Spencer Lee
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #10. The only 2018 wrestler ranked ahead of him was Gable Steveson

b. Roman Bravo-Young
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 132, behind Daton Fix
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #11. The only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Gable Steveson and Gavin Teasdale

c. Joe Lee
- final 2017 HS ranking was #13 @ 152. Only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Shane Griffith (#5), David Carr (#6), Jaden Mattox (#7), Brock Hardy (#9), and Anthony Artalona (#11)

d. Travis Wittlake
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 170, behind Mikey Labriola

e. Michael Beard
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 195, behind Jacob Warner
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #13. The only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Gable Steveson, Gavin Teasdale, and Roman Bravo-Young

f. Seth Nevills
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 285, behind Gable Steveson

Willie indicated that he'd have the updated ranking without the seniors posted in 2 weeks (from April 16). It appears that he's a bit behind on his schedule. That said, it appears that PSU's 2018 class enters their senior HS season as:

- the #1 ranked prospect @ 126
- the #1 ranked prospect @ 132
- the #6 ranked prospect @ 152
- the #1 ranked prospect @ 170
- the #1 ranked prospect @195
- the #2 ranked prospect @ 285

That's a "sick" class, though it does make me feel very good. ;)

Way to go CS and coaching staff.

tjb, I commend you for how you've handled this. You've given us a few snippets on his recruitment, but it seemed clear to me that you were not attempting to run the show, or even exert influence, on Michael.

Looks as though you'll have a greater interest in using your PSU tickets over the coming years.

Excellent news!

The 2018 recruiting class is shaping up to be a crazy good class for PSU.

Using Flo's rankings, here's a look at the class:

a. Gavin Teasdale
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 126, behind Spencer Lee
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #10. The only 2018 wrestler ranked ahead of him was Gable Steveson

b. Roman Bravo-Young
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 132, behind Daton Fix
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #11. The only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Gable Steveson and Gavin Teasdale

c. Joe Lee
- final 2017 HS ranking was #13 @ 152. Only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Shane Griffith (#5), David Carr (#6), Jaden Mattox (#7), Brock Hardy (#9), and Anthony Artalona (#11)

d. Travis Wittlake
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 170, behind Mikey Labriola

e. Michael Beard
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 195, behind Jacob Warner
- final 2017 P4P ranking was #13. The only 2018 wrestlers ranked ahead of him were Gable Steveson, Gavin Teasdale, and Roman Bravo-Young

f. Seth Nevills
- final 2017 HS ranking was #2 @ 285, behind Gable Steveson

Willie indicated that he'd have the updated ranking without the seniors posted in 2 weeks (from April 16). It appears that he's a bit behind on his schedule. That said, it appears that PSU's 2018 class enters their senior HS season as:

- the #1 ranked prospect @ 126
- the #1 ranked prospect @ 132
- the #6 ranked prospect @ 152
- the #1 ranked prospect @ 170
- the #1 ranked prospect @195
- the #2 ranked prospect @ 285

That's a "sick" class, though it does make me feel very good. ;)

Way to go CS and coaching staff.
That is because RBY is going eventually to land at the Ohio State

Wow. Rich get richer. Per Flo.
DYNASTY TO THE MAX for years and years....WOW !!!! Hope Mike gets to red shirt one year to get 20 to 25 colleges matches under his belt before he wins the National Championship as a red shirt freshman...His number 1 partner will be DT who is the best wrestler in the world right now....He will also have 3 other studs around his weight...197. GREAT time to be a PSU fan....Gee wiz.

Welcome.. hoping we had enough scholarship money to get him to State College!
Should have great battles with Jacob Warner.
If Suriano and Beard routinely beat their Iowa counterparts what does that do to the HR theory that Cael can't coach and the Brands boys are the coaching/development gurus. Dang, that would be the final nail into their collective rationalized reality.

Reactions: VRE and lionlover
Welcome.. hoping we had enough scholarship money to get him to State College!
Should have great battles with Jacob Warner.
He will be beating Warner bad after working out with DT and others everyday....These guys become GREAT after they are in our room....Plus Cael makes wrestling fun.....Others do the opposite !!!!

From Hoffman shortly after the Beard news on Twitter...

"God has a plan"

May have nothing to do with the news but he rarely tweets and this came within less than an hour of the Beard news. I wonder if he was close and this just directed him elsewhere...

ADVERTISEMENT