ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Wrestling Schedule Rotations for PSU

ItalianLion

Mar 24, 2017
Not sure how many of you will find this useful, but I know for me I have been confused about the Big Ten Wrestling schedule rotation (triggered also by Iowa's 'light' B1G schedule) :mad:!

I know that Roar and others have explained it ad nauseum with words (in particular this posting was extremely helpful... thanks Roar!)... but I am a much more "visual" learner... and because I like to travel to away matches, I decided to put together the following tables of "future" schedules that can be projected well into the future for as long as the Big Ten continues its current pairing model (which with my luck they will change next year after I've done all this work...o_O)

Anyway, if you click here => PSU B1G Schedule Rotations

you will have access to future B1G opponents to be scheduled, whether at home or away, and I have also included the location of future B1G & NCAA Tournaments. Enjoy & as always, point out any errors.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent work. Just one concern.......if I'm still alive in 2022-23, who on earth are we going to wrestle in the Jordan center,

RUTGERS
MARYLAND
NORTHWESTERN
ILLINOIS

Unless "top 10" powerhouse RUTGERS improves, these can't compare to the great matches we've had or will have leading up to this.

P.S. my first post, but it's been such a pleasure following such a knowledgeable group for a few years, I finally decided to put my toe in the water

Thanks for the excellent work. Just one concern.......if I'm still alive in 2022-23, who on earth are we going to wrestle in the Jordan center,

Good job JC, funny post ... don’t be a stranger going forward!

As to your question, we hopefully will have a good non conference dual that season... remember Pitt & Lehigh! ;)

Reactions: Dogwelder
pardon me if I am incorrect but I think you can officially add 2020 Big Tens @ Rutgers

pardon me if I am incorrect but I think you can officially add 2020 Big Tens @ Rutgers

I almost added it originally given how much I’ve seen “discussion” of it, but I did not find anything authoritative to confirm it. Have you seen something Tpn?

Isn't PSU due up for hosting the Big 10s pretty soon? Unless they decide to insert Rutgers and Maryland.
Yes, commonsensical folks had us in 2020, as we last hosted in 2009. At the time, there were 11 Big Ten teams, so add 11 and the cycle had Penn State for next season. Then came the Rutgers announcement without Big Ten corroboration, and a bit of confusion.

Nebraska joined the conference in 2011-12, Maryland and Rutgers in 2014-15. Guess was that Nebraska would be inserted first. Penn State was inserted four years after joining the conference, so they weren't added at the end of the rotation either. Conventional wisdom had Nebraska "any year now", with Rutgers and Maryland waiting their turn.

This was a bit more than you asked for, just sharing history, and logic. It's my guess, but purely a guess, that if not 2020, then 2021 for the Lions.

Don't forget Roar...logic and the Big Ten aren't really associated...;)

Don't forget Roar...logic and the Big Ten aren't really associated...;)
Yes, true that. Your winkie face aside, there's truth in your statement...only because the conference isn't transparent enough, imo. This is an item, for all sports, that could/should be a no-brainer. Just release the championships venues 2-3 years out. I see that as a win-win, the conference appears less controlling, and the fans can do half-an-ounce of planning in advance. Simple.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Yes, commonsensical folks had us in 2020, as we last hosted in 2009. At the time, there were 11 Big Ten teams, so add 11 and the cycle had Penn State for next season. Then came the Rutgers announcement without Big Ten corroboration, and a bit of confusion.

Nebraska joined the conference in 2011-12, Maryland and Rutgers in 2014-15. Guess was that Nebraska would be inserted first. Penn State was inserted four years after joining the conference, so they weren't added at the end of the rotation either. Conventional wisdom had Nebraska "any year now", with Rutgers and Maryland waiting their turn.

This was a bit more than you asked for, just sharing history, and logic. It's my guess, but purely a guess, that if not 2020, then 2021 for the Lions.
I appreciate the information. Hopefully PSU gets it in 2020 or 2021. Since affordable NCAA tickets are damn near possible to get, I'll settle for the Big Tens.

NCAA tickets should be a lot easier to get next season.
Probably will be. I was really hoping for the Burgh, since it's close to me. I could drive home every night instead of staying in a hotel. A vacation to MN in March wouldnt be too appealing to my wife either. The NCAA seems to be inserting some Northeast venues more often. Maybe I'll catch the next one if I can.

I appreciate the information. Hopefully PSU gets it in 2020 or 2021. Since affordable NCAA tickets are damn near possible to get, I'll settle for the Big Tens.
NoVa already mentioned that future NCAA Championship tickets shouldn't be problematic...I want to share thoughts on the Big Ten Championships. In some ways, it's just as good;
-- Smaller venue, closer to the action
-- Best wrestling in the country
-- Much cheaper, $40 for tickets, $25 if you're a senior
-- Never sells out

I've been to every venue except Minny (this March I can check it off), Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland. Every one was fun.

NoVa already mentioned that future NCAA Championship tickets shouldn't be problematic...I want to share thoughts on the Big Ten Championships. In some ways, it's just as good;
-- Never sells out

I've been to every venue except Minny (this March I can check it off), Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland. Every one was fun.
Can you possibly break down how many mats are going for each of the sessions please?

Probably will be. I was really hoping for the Burgh, since it's close to me. I could drive home every night instead of staying in a hotel. A vacation to MN in March wouldnt be too appealing to my wife either. The NCAA seems to be inserting some Northeast venues more often. Maybe I'll catch the next one if I can.
Won't be until at least 2023 then. 2021 is St. Louis, 2022 is Detroit.

-- Never sells out

That's why I want to go when PSU hosts. Quite honestly, travelling to something like a wrestling tournament just doesn't appeal to me.

-- Never sells out

Couldn't get tickets to Cleveland last year so we went to MSU and well worth the trip. Gonna be plenty of us there at Rutgers. At PSU, OMG.

Probably the biggest drawback in PA is that Big 10's are typically held the same weekend as the PIAA Championships in Hershey.

True, although it's not true every year. That hurt attendance the last 2 times the BIG tournament was at PSU, but I don't think that will be true in 2020 or whenever the next one is at PSU. Personally hoping it is not 2020 as I will still be living in Virginia. Any year after that and I will be somewhere close to State College.

-- Never sells out

If my son comes through with tickets this year it will be my 16th Nationals. Will be happy when I have my tickets in hand. My first Nationals was in 1998 Cleveland then Penn State....

I totally agree with Roar. A couple of years I didn't attend Nationals due to cash flow of kids in college so one year we went out to Columbus St. John's arena for the Big Tens instead. That year Matt McCutchen had a big upset with an Iowa wrestler and by happenstance we sat in front of recent PSU wrestling hero James English. Many of the finals at the Big Tens feature the individuals that will be slugging it out in two weeks. It is great wrestling. Roar is also dead on that it usually doesn't sell out and when Penn State hosted it last in 2009, there were mostly empty seats. I'll be interested to see the crowd we get for our next rotation. I hope it will be big but what the hell do I know, I was disappointed Final X didn't sell out.

Reactions: RoarLions1
Probably the biggest drawback in PA is that Big 10's are typically held the same weekend as the PIAA Championships in Hershey.

Last time PSU hosted, we did States Thursday, Friday and Saturday and BigTens on Sunday in State College. Both venues are relatively close. To this day I don't know how I got the wife to approve that one.

If my son comes through with tickets this year it will be my 16th Nationals. Will be happy when I have my tickets in hand. My first Nationals was in 1998 Cleveland then Penn State....

I totally agree with Roar. A couple of years I didn't attend Nationals due to cash flow of kids in college so one year we went out to Columbus St. John's arena for the Big Tens instead. That year Matt McCutchen had a big upset with an Iowa wrestler and by happenstance we sat in front of recent PSU wrestling hero James English. Many of the finals at the Big Tens feature the individuals that will be slugging it out in two weeks. It is great wrestling. Roar is also dead on that it usually doesn't sell out and when Penn State hosted it last in 2009, there were mostly empty seats. I'll be interested to see the crowd we get for our next rotation. I hope it will be big but what the hell do I know, I was disappointed Final X didn't sell out.
Well, wrestling was invented in 2010 so attendance should be way up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT