ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 2 Thread

JC why do guys continually respond to this thing. It is getting exactly what it wants. On this board it feels important and it's getting the responses. Let it talk to it's self all day. If you respond to it then stop with the go away stuff and complaining.

Reactions: backdrft76
When you say we are not having a great tournament, who are you comparing us to? Iowa? Nebraska? Who exactly are you comparing us to to make your opinion that we are not doing well?

I get ya...you want PERFECTION at every weight. If you don't get it, you criticize those keeping the team from being perfect. Is there a team throughout history that you are comparing us to? Was there a team you had in mind when you were putting PSU wrestlers down during last year's Big10 tourney ...the one that finished with a National Championship and 5 individual champs? You always seem to have problems with the teams Cael puts together. I'm just curious what team throughout history gives you reason to feel Cael isn't doing his job well enough for you.
We have 9 scoring wrestlers, not 8 - and that’s completely unacceptable!!!

Hopefully next year Cael can figure out a way to have all our guys seeded last so you're happy they perform above seed. Tell you what, you stick to putting down the wrestlers and I think I'll continue to be ecstatic about the kids Cael puts on the mat and the entire process (including wrestlers not performing to seed) that gives us fans yet another National Championship. :)
There is a statistical bias against the top teams with a lot of high seeds when measuring performance against seed. For example, in the extreme, if every one of your guys is the 1 seed, then you literally can’t overperform your seeds, and if even one guy loses at all, you’re underperforming. There is only downside, even though you’re likely completely dominating the tournament. Every tournament is going to have upsets. With a team with 7 top 2 seeds and 9 top 5, we’re going to be the team getting upset, and it’s nearly impossible for us to be upsetting anyone. Given this bias, it’s really disingenuous to compare our results to our seeding. The team is doing fine. If we win half of the weights and qualify 9 guys, it takes a real Debbie Downer to call that disappointing.

Hopefully next year Cael can figure out a way to have all our guys seeded last so you're happy they perform above seed. Tell you what, you stick to putting down the wrestlers and I think I'll continue to be ecstatic about the kids Cael puts on the mat and the entire process (including wrestlers not performing to seed) that gives us fans yet another National Championship. :)
Terrific idea! We then get multiple OWs, and HR implodes yet again (with no help from you ... at least none necessary).

Who says he will suffer? Have you asked him or Cael? Me neither. We are all allowed to speculate and to give our opinions that's why it's a message board...and no...we are not having a great tournament. Our 125 pounder got hammered twice...we got no bonus in the semis from anyone other than Brooks...our 2nd seeded 141 pounder did not wrestle to seed, our 149 pounder went chalk, our 165 pounder wrestled poorly as a 5 seed and lost to an 11 seed....so no, in fact it has not been a great tournament for us.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Not putting anyone down. 125 didn't wrestle well and was a 10 seed. 141 is a wrestler with a ton of potential having his best year so far but is performing below seed...149 is another promising wrestler who, if he takes 5th or better can say he had a good tournament, while 165 is another terrific talent who is wrestling very poorly...some of you sound like the Iowa clowns who worship Spencer and can do no wrong....telling it.like it is is not "putting down" our wrestlers.

Not putting anyone down. 125 didn't wrestle well and was a 10 seed. 141 is a wrestler with a ton of potential having his best year so far but is performing below seed...149 is another promising wrestler who, if he takes 5th or better can say he had a good tournament, while 165 is another terrific talent who is wrestling very poorly...some of you sound like the Iowa clowns who worship Spencer and can do no wrong....telling it.like it is is not "putting down" our wrestlers.
This makes the performance imperfect, not poor or disappointing

The argument of someone who is wrong. The seeds show I'm correct.
Shouldn’t this be a critique of the seeds as much if not more than the wrestlers? It’s why I hate CFB recruiting rankings “analysis.” People seem to think that the player is at fault if the expectation isn’t met. Shouldn’t we consider the ranking to be wrong?

I remember he said he could make 133 if needed. But that was a couple years ago I believe.

That's a pretty big cut from 141-133. Unless he isn't cutting hardly anything to make 141.

As you said, Cael isn't going to make him cut. And I think the only way he tries 133 is if he gets bumped from the lineup at 141.
So if Beau goes from 149 to 133 does that make him Kyle Dake in reverse?🙂

Last edited:
F*** Mr Rogers! Your gif is pretty much what he did to a young johnstownsteel many moons ago. I was 6 or 7…. I waited months to go see him at the Pittsburgh Zoo. I was so excited when the day finally came and we arrived only to find out Mr. Rogers cancelled and instead sent Mr. F******g Mcfeely to stand in for him. That prick ruined my entire childhood. I never watched another one of his piece of s*** shows again. I think he’s the reason I like to make peoples lives miserable. If HR wants to blame anyone for my being a d*** over there.. tell ‘‘em to blame Mr. Rogers. :)

Last edited:
F*** Mr Rogers! Your gif is pretty much what he did to a young johnstownsteel many moons ago. I was 6 or 7…. I waited months to go see him at the Pittsburgh Zoo. I was so excited when the day finally came and we arrived only to find out Mr. Rogers cancelled and instead sent Mr. F******g Mcfeely to stand in for him. That prick ruined my entire childhood. I never watched another one of his piece of s*** shows again. I think he’s the reason I like to make peoples lives miserable. If HR wants to blame anyone for my being a d*** over there.. tell ‘‘em to blame Mr. Rogers. :)
And now you spend your days in the Iowa Zoo.

Other than the Facundo loss to Wilson it hasn't been a bad tourney at all. We've seen his struggles getting on his offense so was it really a surprise? Bartlett's loss to Hardy was a downer, but he didn't really wrestle a tough schedule. These losses will hopefully help Cael make the necessary adjustments. Van Ness has a good shot at placing above seed as does Haines. Up 11.5 points going into today is a good position tobe in.

Lots of talk here about BB to 133, but I saw him up close a couple of weeks ago and he's not much smaller than SVN. Although BB is short for 141 (kind of), he's pretty broad. That said, it will be up to him where he goes next year and he certainly wouldn't be the first wrestler to make a really big cut in search of a title - but that doesn't always work out well.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that BB would be in a solid position to be an AA for the rest of his career, If he goes something like 7, 4, and 6 in the next three years I would take that in a heartbeat. Not everyone has the tools to be a guy in the conversation for a title for multiple years.

Go take 3rd or 4th today and get on the stand two weeks from now and BB will have had a really nice year for himself IMO.

When you say we are not having a great tournament, who are you comparing us to? Iowa? Nebraska? Who exactly are you comparing us to to make your opinion that we are not doing well?

I get ya...you want PERFECTION at every weight. If you don't get it, you criticize those keeping the team from being perfect. Is there a team throughout history that you are comparing us to? Was there a team you had in mind when you were putting PSU wrestlers down during last year's Big10 tourney ...the one that finished with a National Championship and 5 individual champs? You always seem to have problems with the teams Cael puts together. I'm just curious what team throughout history gives you reason to feel Cael isn't doing his job well enough for you.
Some people have a pathological superstition that prevents them from acknowledging good until the end goal has been achieved. As a sky-is-falling behavior continues to “deliver” the end goal, the behavior only intensifies in a misperceived positive feedback loop.

As you’ve probably noticed over nearly the past decade, Miles only adopts this behavior until the goal (PSU winning the championship) is reached. Afterward, he doesn’t continue to perseverate on perceived individual shortcomings. And I’m sure he pats himself on the back for his well-practiced superstition having delivered us all a championship to celebrate.

Some sports fans are simply nuts and not to be taken seriously.

It seemed to me the Nebby guys were the only ones who seemed really cutting. It should be more apparent tonight.

Some people have a pathological superstition that prevents them from acknowledging good until the end goal has been achieved. As a sky-is-falling behavior continues to “deliver” the end goal, the behavior only intensifies in a misperceived positive feedback loop.

As you’ve probably noticed over nearly the past decade, Miles only adopts this behavior until the goal (PSU winning the championship) is reached. Afterward, he doesn’t continue to perseverate on perceived individual shortcomings. And I’m sure he pats himself on the back for his well-practiced superstition having delivered us all a championship to celebrate.

Like for "Miles."

The comparison is to our seedings as a team. And we aren't doing as well as our seeds.
So maybe our wrestlers shouldn’t do so well during the season. That way, they wouldn’t be seeded so high and be so disappointing to you in the BIG tourney.

ALL sports fans are simply nuts and not to be taken seriously buddy.

I'm putting these in my cellar for a year to see how they age.
I predict they will make terrific juice.
I'm hoping I'm wrong about Alex, but I'm the same guy that got trashed for saying that PSU missed on not offering Sasso a scholarship. I haven't heard much about that situation the last 4 years.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT