ADVERTISEMENT

B1G officiating -- will it be fair this year?

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
I was rewatching the second half of the B1G title game (can't see it too many times) and once again, struck by the fact that the officiating was competent and fair to PSU.

The fourth quarter personal foul on the Wisky DL for unloading on McSorley after he had released the ball at the sideline -- it was a huge call that kept that last PSU drive alive and probably killed Wisconsin's hopes.

It was an obvious clear-cut roughing call. And it it was the kind of call that the B10 officials ignored for years and years.

The final pass-interference call on the safety trying to cover Hamilton, which set up the last FG. How many hundreds of times over the years of B1G play did we see that call not get made when PSU receivers were held?

Even the clock problem in the final seconds. In the past there would have been shenanigans to try to put enough time on the clock that PSU would be forced to punt. It seemed suspicious. But in the end they just added a single second to the game clock, so that Trace had to kill 3 seconds instead of 2.

In the two biggest wins against the toughest opponents last year, Penn State got to play on an even playing field -- the Big Ten was not taking sides.

And for me it drove home once again what a significant disadvantage it was for PSU, year after year, to have to overcome hostile midwest officials who saw PSU as a foreign invader.

Bad officiating really cost Paterno's teams dearly over the years vs not just MIchigan but Ohio State and Iowa -- probably cost Joe at least one other B1G title, and in 2008 cost him a chance at an undefeated season and playing for the national title.

But last year it was markedly different. I don't recall a single game where it felt like the officials were out to screw PSU. Maybe it was pity for PSU having gone through scandal and sanctions, maybe it was a sense that the league would benefit financially from a revived PSU program. Maybe the league officials hated Joe and like Franklin?

And I guess I'm wondering, will that continue this year? Is the B1G really no longer out to screw PSU? Has B1G officiating finally become a professional, impartial operation?

Now that PSU is revived, and threatening once again to be a force in the B1G, I guess I'm wondering, will the B1G try to put a lid on it this year? Yeah due to replay they can't pull the kind of tricks they pulled in the 90s and early 00s. They can't mess with spots anything like they could in the past, they can't award catches that aren't catches, they can't turn fumbles into incomplete passes.

But they can still ignore flagrant holding when a team needs a boost. They can still call some weird obscure penalties (roughing the snapper) at key times. They can look the other way for cheap shots. They can get careless in their clock administration to favor one side -- such as ignoring the play clock when they want someone to make a field goal.

I really don't know what to expect. What I do know is that it is a major factor in PSU's season. If they go another season without any B1G old boy screw jobs, that's a really big deal for this program.

I was rewatching the second half of the B1G title game (can't see it too many times) and once again, struck by the fact that the officiating was competent and fair to PSU.

The fourth quarter personal foul on the Wisky DL for unloading on McSorley after he had released the ball at the sideline -- it was a huge call that kept that last PSU drive alive and probably killed Wisconsin's hopes.

It was an obvious clear-cut roughing call. And it it was the kind of call that the B10 officials ignored for years and years.

The final pass-interference call on the safety trying to cover Hamilton, which set up the last FG. How many hundreds of times over the years of B1G play did we see that call not get made when PSU receivers were held?

Even the clock problem in the final seconds. In the past there would have been shenanigans to try to put enough time on the clock that PSU would be forced to punt. It seemed suspicious. But in the end they just added a single second to the game clock, so that Trace had to kill 3 seconds instead of 2.

In the two biggest wins against the toughest opponents last year, Penn State got to play on an even playing field -- the Big Ten was not taking sides.

And for me it drove home once again what a significant disadvantage it was for PSU, year after year, to have to overcome hostile midwest officials who saw PSU as a foreign invader.

Bad officiating really cost Paterno's teams dearly over the years vs not just MIchigan but Ohio State and Iowa -- probably cost Joe at least one other B1G title, and in 2008 cost him a chance at an undefeated season and playing for the national title.

But last year it was markedly different. I don't recall a single game where it felt like the officials were out to screw PSU. Maybe it was pity for PSU having gone through scandal and sanctions, maybe it was a sense that the league would benefit financially from a revived PSU program. Maybe the league officials hated Joe and like Franklin?

And I guess I'm wondering, will that continue this year? Is the B1G really no longer out to screw PSU? Has B1G officiating finally become a professional, impartial operation?

Now that PSU is revived, and threatening once again to be a force in the B1G, I guess I'm wondering, will the B1G try to put a lid on it this year? Yeah due to replay they can't pull the kind of tricks they pulled in the 90s and early 00s. They can't mess with spots anything like they could in the past, they can't award catches that aren't catches, they can't turn fumbles into incomplete passes.

But they can still ignore flagrant holding when a team needs a boost. They can still call some weird obscure penalties (roughing the snapper) at key times. They can look the other way for cheap shots. They can get careless in their clock administration to favor one side -- such as ignoring the play clock when they want someone to make a field goal.

I really don't know what to expect. What I do know is that it is a major factor in PSU's season. If they go another season without any B1G old boy screw jobs, that's a really big deal for this program.
No, history proves that point!

I agree that the officiating last year was improved. The corruption allowed in the 2014 tOSU game is not good business and such atrocity should never be permitted in any level of sports. Hopefully, Delaney and his cronies have had the light turned on and they realize fair, competent and "get it right" officiating is in the best interest and adds greatest value to the B1G. I know this appears like a hugh hurdle for Delaney to get over as his love affair with UM and tOSU has been disgusting and arguably has most impacted us. Last season was encouraging in that maybe again this season the B1G team that deserves to win will win.

The officials can't spot the ball correctly about 20% of the time, from the games I watched last year. Most times it doesn't matter. More slow old guy problem than bias.

Under Franklin the refs are not as much an issue as they were under Joe. Franklin is going to attempt to score lots of points every game, leave no doubt. Joe, especially the last 10 years approached every game against a quality opponent very tight, looking for a close game. Problem with that is, a bad call by the ref can be difficult to overcome.

I think Franklin looks to avoid that situation.

Reactions: pandaczar12
The penalty I am concerned with is coaches on the field call. I heard James Franklin on radio this am and he said the penalty would be for coaches who run on the field to scream at refs, not for coaches just being on the field to address team. No doubt there will be many calls against coaches who are doing the 2nd. Which teams benefit from those, I have an idea but we will see..

Lest we never forget: "You're lucky your even playing." 'Nuff said.

Exactly. There's absolutely no doubt that a lot of the old-timers simply hated PSU, seized every opportunity they could to screw Paterno. The one I remember in particular was the Iowa game in 2002 at the Beav, where a single official from Iowa made 3 or 4 bad calls that threw the game.

I forget that guy's name but he was a one man wrecking crew for favorite team. That was the one where Joe lost his temper on national TV. That also got the B1G to stop assigning officials from the same state as a team that was playing. (I think for that matter that horrible performance helped convince the B10 to try replay)

Have those guys mostly retired? Is that attitude still out there among the B1G officials? Didn't really see evidence of it last year.

A couple of well timed bad calls would have cost PSU the game vs. Minnesota and maybe Indiana last year and totally changed the season. It wasn't like there weren't close games.

Exactly. There's absolutely no doubt that a lot of the old-timers simply hated PSU, seized every opportunity they could to screw Paterno. The one I remember in particular was the Iowa game in 2002 at the Beav, where a single official from Iowa made 3 or 4 bad calls that threw the game.

I forget that guy's name but he was a one man wrecking crew for favorite team. That was the one where Joe lost his temper on national TV. That also got the B1G to stop assigning officials from the same state as a team that was playing. (I think for that matter that horrible performance helped convince the B10 to try replay)

Have those guys mostly retired? Is that attitude still out there among the B1G officials? Didn't really see evidence of it last year.

A couple of well timed bad calls would have cost PSU the game vs. Minnesota and maybe Indiana last year and totally changed the season. It wasn't like there weren't close games.
The main culprits were...
  • Dick Honig
  • David Witvoet
  • Bill LeMonnier
  • Dave Parry
Michigan men, through and through. Think they're all finally gone.

Reactions: gslachta
Are Dick Hoenig and Dave Witvoet still there?

Yes sir, retirments have helped with this situation but playing OSU or UM will always be dicey if its a close game as noted above. That is how they got us in the past, is close games with OSU and UM with Iowa a distant third.

Remember the year instant replay was instituted? PSU challenged a dozen or so calls and EVERY challenge was overturned in PSU's favor. Amazing. Then the next year the calls challenged were not so loaded in PSU's favor AND the phantom "UNREVIEWABLE CALLS" began to crop up. Quite convenient. Not unlike the phantom recording device malfunction in 2014 w/ OSU. Only time I've head that happen or that excuse while the score board played the play over and over but the officials conveniently were not allowed to watch that and turned their collective backs.

I agree with J Franklin the issues are not as obvious and retirements of several wildly biased refs helped out the situation. AND playing OSU and UM you better be ahead or make a move late in the game where the opponent can't come back or they may pull a unreviewable call out of their collective pockets and wham PSU gets hammered.

I think the bias was more against Joe than the team and that is why we are seeing less questionable calls now and when Joe was successful with instant replay the old guard refs found a loophole.

Let's hope better times are ahead and ref error is minimized, planned or not.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
If they let John O'Neill anywhere near our games vs Ohio State or Michigan, that's when you know the fix is in.

Reactions: PSU87

Michigan has always been the problem game. OSU was dependent on them having a shot (money driven).

Last year they threw our LB out on one of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen.

So no, I do not expect change. When it matters they will put in the crew that calls games in Michigan's favor.

LdN

The officials can't spot the ball correctly about 20% of the time, from the games I watched last year. Most times it doesn't matter. More slow old guy problem than bias.
That's most of the issue (at least 75%). Players have gotten so fast, it's hard for the refs to stay in position. I'd love to see leagues hire a bunch of former WR, safeties, and CBs who "went pro in something else" as the BTN likes to tell us and train them as refs.

B1G officiating -- will it be fair this year?

Geeze, I hope so. No one from the conference has asked me yet, but I did a flag football game once so I'm qualified.;)

I have always been of the belief that the NCAA should have the refs and not the conferences. I know that you will still get the people that will say they would be able to fix it.

If you went this avenue MAC alums to ref big ten games and so on. It shouldn't be that hard to do.the NCAA can afford to fly people refs to other regions.

It would benefit the Michigan's of the world as they would have to play straight up all season and wouldn't act so surprised in bowl games when they get called for stuff they get away with all season long in conference play.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Refs will not be fair. They are so bias for Michigan and Ohio State it sickens me. The amount of bad calls I've seen over the years(especially against Michigan) is absurd. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I agree 100%. I'm hoping the fairness continues.

It would benefit the Michigan's of the world as they would have to play straight up all season and wouldn't act so surprised in bowl games when they get called for stuff they get away with all season long in conference play.

Not just Michigan. It hurt the B1G's bowl record for a few years that they were allowed to hold in conference play (did Dave Parry ever actually see a hold his whole life?) and then suddenly on Jan. 1 they'd get flagged for what they were doing all year.

But that's something that has improved too I think. Looks to me like the B1G is now more in line with the rest of college football re holding.

It'll be its usual level of incompetence for everyone.

That said, I agree with what the OP posted.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT