ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Hoops to stay at 20 league games, 15 of 18 will make Conference Tournament

16 would have been the right number to make the tourney IMO...no idea why they'd go 15, an odd choice.

Reactions: Obliviax
16 would have been the right number to make the tourney IMO...no idea why they'd go 15, an odd choice.

Did they release the planned format? If they are (mostly) eliminating byes and having all teams start on day 1, then going to 15 allows the one seed to have a bye but all the other teams play in 7 first round games. Then it would be 4 games on day 2 for 8 teams. Then 2 games on day 3 and the championship on day 4.

So, I guess my point is that maybe they picked 15 just to give the regular season champ an extra advantage.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Did they release the planned format? If they are (mostly) eliminating byes and having all teams start on day 1, then going to 15 allows the one seed to have a bye but all the other teams play in 7 first round games. Then it would be 4 games on day 2 for 8 teams. Then 2 games on day 3 and the championship on day 4.

So, I guess my point is that maybe they picked 15 just to give the regular season champ an extra advantage.
I’m guessing

Day 1 - 3 games
Day 2 - 4 games
Day 3 - 4 games
Day 4 - 2 games
Day 5 - 1 game

10-15, no bye
5-9, single bye
1-4, double bye

I’m guessing they would go with 17, but didn’t want to leave out only 1 team

Reactions: bison13
I’m guessing

Day 1 - 3 games
Day 2 - 4 games
Day 3 - 4 games
Day 4 - 2 games
Day 5 - 1 game

10-15, no bye
5-9, single bye
1-4, double bye
Almost certain that this is correct. But I guess it would have made too much sense to push it to 4 games on Day 1 and take away 9's bye.

At least they got the number of conference games right...I was a little worried they'd push it to 22.

Last edited:
Almost certain that this is correct. But I guess it would have made to much sense to push it to 4 games on Day 1 and take away 9's bye.

At least they got the number of conference games right...I was a little worried they'd push it to 22.

but that's the thing, why not just make it 16 then and have #9 play on day 1? That just seems weird and arbitrary and having 16 teams make it (and two teams not) just feels more sensible given the even number.

Reactions: bison13
but that's the thing, why not just make it 16 then and have #9 play on day 1? That just seems weird and arbitrary and having 16 teams make it (and two teams not) just feels more sensible given the even number.
Exactly...plus you get an extra game to put on TV, and an extra fanbase traveling to the tourney. No reason at all to be rewarding the 9th seed with a bye, so I'm really curious as to what made them decide on 15 vs. the more sensible 14 or 16.

We could have some early off seasons. The conference is going to be brutal.
Yea, it'll be really disappointing missing out on it some year...personally, I would have even liked those two extra game on Tuesday night to get all 18 teams in it. Sure, the odds of a team winning 6 games in 6 days is extremely remote, but at least it gives everyone a theoretical shot which to me is so much of what March Madness is about.

Yea, it'll be really disappointing missing out on it some year...personally, I would have even liked those two extra game on Tuesday night to get all 18 teams in it. Sure, the odds of a team winning 6 games in 6 days is extremely remote, but at least it gives everyone a theoretical shot which to me is so much of what March Madness is about.
I guess they didn’t want 6 days, nor did they want more than 4 per day

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT