ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Gomez

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
I know I know, he's training with the Wolverines so he's probably going to go there but hear me out. With SVN going down PSU can offer him the best possible chance to win a national championship and can guarantee he'd be part of a team title. He's also on the Mexican national team with a certain Mr. RBY who I'm sure would be able to help bring him in.

But there's more! Michigan wrestles Iowa at home this season while PSU travels to CHA. That would mean he gets another chance to shove it straight up to where the sun don't shine of the people who racially abused his family. If I'm Gomez this would be a no-brainer. Prepping for my last big dance by training with in the best room on the planet while assuring myself of a team title and getting to celebrate in CHA one last time would be too much to resist.

I know I know, he's training with the Wolverines so he's probably going to go there but hear me out. With SVN going down PSU can offer him the best possible chance to win a national championship and can guarantee he'd be part of a team title. He's also on the Mexican national team with a certain Mr. RBY who I'm sure would be able to help bring him in.

But there's more! Michigan wrestles Iowa at home this season while PSU travels to CHA. That would mean he gets another chance to shove it straight up to where the sun don't shine of the people who racially abused his family. If I'm Gomez this would be a no-brainer. Prepping for my last big dance by training with in the best room on the planet while assuring myself of a team title and getting to celebrate in CHA one last time would be too much to resist.
This is the kind of post we routinely mock GIA for: despite all evidence to the contrary, he's coming to my school because of reasons I made up.

Also, Gomez's profile pic:

1500x500

I’d rather roll with Kasak above all, but if the coaching staff has determined that he’s not yet the man at 149 and/or rumors concerning portal-hunting are to be believed, who else is out there? Gomez to Michigan seems as if it’s been a forgone conclusion for months, but what about Josh Humphreys? Not even sure he could make 149 at this stage of his life, but I do recall him entering the portal and both applying for and being granted a medical redshirt to wrestle this season. I don’t believe he’s currently on a roster.

Probably not a crazy take but kasak will qualify for ncaas, go 3-2 and we’ll all be happy with that. Would SVN be better, sure. But I’d love an undersized Kasak true freshman making people sweat

Reactions: Fatmarc
Humphreys is not eligible and even if he was he wouldn’t be able to make 149.

I’m guessing Kasak doesn’t believe he’ll be sitting behind anyone next year if he redshirts. His match with Beau was razor thin and he just started his true freshman year. On top of that, I’ve read a few things indicating SVN might not be at 149 forever.

Reactions: Ja1339
I’m guessing Kasak doesn’t believe he’ll be sitting behind anyone next year if he redshirts. His match with Beau was razor thin and he just started his true freshman year. On top of that, I’ve read a few things indicating SVN might not be at 149 forever.
SVN might not be at 149 forever? Where's he gonna go if the rumors of Messenbrink to 157 and Haines to 165 next year are true?

Reactions: USPMAN
SVN might not be at 149 forever? Where's he gonna go if the rumors of Messenbrink to 157 and Haines to 165 next year are true?
Theoretically, Mesenbrink could stay at 165 for another year and SVN could go 157 while Haines takes his redshirt year, but with Sealey, Duke, Ryder, Barr, and the Mirasolas (and also potentially Asher as well if he continues to build on the Ironman result) coming in between 157 and 197 in the next several years, the logjam will only grow if SVN needs a spot in that range, too.

But if he can't make 149 anymore, then he can't make it. This isn't OK State.

"Forever" doesn't mean next year. He has 2 years left, plus a (likely) medical year if he wants it.

Haines sure suprised a few people in his TF year. Kasak is cut from the same cloth.

yes, I copied and pasted that from the SVN thread,

Enough with the damn transfers, Cael recruited these guys for a reason and I trust Cael let’s use these guys.
Kasak is a 141 wrestling up and didn't look all that impressive against Lehigh.

I don't think expectations should be what Haines did last year.

Beau Bartlett's true freshman year is a better barometer.
I believe you are right in saying that BB may give a better barometer, however I also feel like the competition from BBs year to now is significantly diluted. Which I think we can temper expectations of the Levi finals appearance however Kasak could potentially vie for a low AA spot.

Not saying it is concrete or written in stone, but I think Kasak could podium but he will have some highs and lows along the way as most True/RS Freshman do.

Reactions: js8793
Is Kasak that small though? According to Cael, he had been working hard to get to 141. After Sr Nationals he can build himself back up.

Lehigh was one match. He has 2 more competition dates, let's see how he does.

I believe you are right in saying that BB may give a better barometer, however I also feel like the competition from BBs year to now is significantly diluted. Which I think we can temper expectations of the Levi finals appearance however Kasak could potentially vie for a low AA spot.

Not saying it is concrete or written in stone, but I think Kasak could podium but he will have some highs and lows along the way as most True/RS Freshman do.
Beau was also objectively a better wrestler coming out of HS. (Not that Kasak was a stiff by any means.)

Agree with patience, let's see how his season progresses. My bigger point is for conservative expectations until we have evidence otherwise.

Also agree with your point about 149. A podium slot is there for the taking.

Last edited:

Really good point. Bartlett was hitting AA's in the BR at Big Tens. Dylan D'Emilio is currently ranked 4th at this weight. Voinovich is 8th. It's a garbage weight outside the top 3.

Kasak is a 141 wrestling up and didn't look all that impressive against Lehigh.

I don't think expectations should be what Haines did last year.
If Kasak was tapped to fill in for Van Ness at the last minute, we may not have seen his best.

Also, I could be wrong, but I assumed Kasak was a 149, but thought he had a quicker path to the starting lineup at 141.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Is Kasak that small though? According to Cael, he had been working hard to get to 141. After Sr Nationals he can build himself back up.

Lehigh was one match. He has 2 more competition dates, let's see how he does.
He also looked like he over-hyped himself in his Rec Hall debut and gassed a bit. I think that won't be repeated. I'm not too worried about him this season.

SVN going down and presumably getting a MSR for this year compounds the overbooking issues at 49/57/65.

Keeping Kasak out this year makes it worse.
Run him.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Maybe he's just too small, but I would note that Cael has plainly stated that Evans is also in the mix at 149. I wouldn't be surprised to see both enter the Scuffle, or something similar at 149.

Maybe he's just too small, but I would note that Cael has plainly stated that Evans is also in the mix at 149. I wouldn't be surprised to see both enter the Scuffle, or something similar at 149.
Well I hope we keep a backup for BoBar, we already have Kasak AND Pierce behind SVN.

SVN going down and presumably getting a MSR for this year compounds the overbooking issues at 49/57/65.

Keeping Kasak out this year makes it worse.
Run him.
Run Kasak this year redshirt him next year. It will be a learning like last year was for SVN but look how that turned out.

I really hope Kasak goes this year and I absolutely think he can AA. Like others have posted it’s not a super deep weight. I don’t expect him to have a Levi type season but him placing 5-8 wouldn’t surprise me at all. Kid is a stud and is more than ready to compete. His freestyle results from this past summer show he’s right there with some of the better guys at the weight. These are the guys ranked 4-8 on Flo and I think he can go with all of them.

4)Dylan D’Emilio
5)Jackson Arrington
6)Chance Lamer
7)Casey Swiderski
8)Victor Voinovich

Last edited:
From what I am hearing, it sounds Shayne got injured during warmups. Just sheer bad luck (maybe foot planted wrong, freak occurences always happen) He was listed as a starter (no OR) and someone I know said his dad was there and went into the locker room as well so sounded like he was expecting to wrestle.

Tyler weighed in at 146, I think if he knew he was wrestling 149, he could have gotten there easy with no cut. That might explain why there was an adrenaline dump definitely, plus finding out you're wrestling because your teammate is probably done for the year can't be easy, these guys love each other.

Tyler wrestled Munch as a high school senior and won 6-0 (8-0 with 3 point takedowns)

From what I am hearing, it sounds Shayne got injured during warmups.
This makes some good sense. Shayne was in the prematch team lineup matside before Lehigh, though, and was smiling, for whatever that's worth.

Well warmups in dual #2 is certainly better than warmups at Bigs or Nationals. This way we not only get a chance at qualifying someone else, but Shane will undoubtedly get a medical year if he wants one. Maybe a little tarnish on it, but there is a silver lining.

Reactions: yekrut321
From what I am hearing, it sounds Shayne got injured during warmups. Just sheer bad luck (maybe foot planted wrong, freak occurences always happen) He was listed as a starter (no OR) and someone I know said his dad was there and went into the locker room as well so sounded like he was expecting to wrestle.

Tyler weighed in at 146, I think if he knew he was wrestling 149, he could have gotten there easy with no cut. That might explain why there was an adrenaline dump definitely, plus finding out you're wrestling because your teammate is probably done for the year can't be easy, these guys love each other.

Tyler wrestled Munch as a high school senior and won 6-0 (8-0 with 3 point takedowns)
2 things about this

1- Arent weigh ins typically before warm ups? (maybe not for guys who are close in weight?.) If so, why was Kasak weighing in at all?

B-If TK truly weighed in at 146, doesnt that imply that 141 is in rearview?

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT